Borg Point Of View On Practice And Video Of Calhoun Going Off On Apr | The Boneyard

Borg Point Of View On Practice And Video Of Calhoun Going Off On Apr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calhoun was a dick to that reporter and you can see why the media doesn't love him but oh well. The walk on seems like he is probably a decent player who was recruited to walk on. You can find him in the New England Recruiting database and he probably turned down some lower level offer to walk on here. Bridgeton Academy is good at bball, lot of D1 players.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was a dick to that reporter and you can see why the media doesn't love him but oh well. The walk on seems like he is probably a decent player who was recruited to walk on. You can find him in the New England Recruiting database and he probably turned down some lower level offer to walk on here. Bridgeton Academy is good at bball, lot of D1 players.

Calhoun should be banned from talking to the media

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i don't know the facts about who knew what (he accused the reporter of asking leading questions or trying to stir JC up), but i agree, he was a bit grouchy about the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Calhoun can say whatever he wants to the blood suckers writing bs articles about him 24/7. Bottom line, he looks out for every kid in the program and makes them men. The APR is as arbitrary as it gets when it comes to shaping and judging student athletes.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-practice-1029-20111028,0,3353745.story

"I don't think our APR reflects who we really are. Do I think we're headed in the right direction? Without question. ... I feel that way because for the first time I am working, quite frankly, for the first time with people in the administration who are making sure we resolve this problem as an institution. This is a UConn problem. Other institutions have had this problem and solved it, we need to solve our problem."

Zing!

Reaction Score
JC is Awesome and apparently he is also correct. Way to put that biatch reporter in his place.

Walter Harrison, chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance, said Thursday that the body will be discussing whether to adjust reporting dates to allow schools to use their most recent data in qualifying for tournaments. For the 2013 men's basketball tournament, that
would mean scores from the 2010-11 and 2011-12 academic year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-calhoun-hopeful-changes-coming-apr-reporting

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun was fine. Any reporter should know Calhoun's style and should know he is coaching royalty. Act accordingly, and don't ask leading questions.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The reporters know exactly what they are doing. They are phrasing questions to lead the answer and put the person being asked the question in a position which corroborates the desired answer. These reporters don't have any problem indicting players, coaches and institutions on flimsy information. And when the real information does come forth, they post a much smaller article without indicating the damage they cause. And they can get away with this because there is no recourse against their incorrectness.

So they play rough and unfair and most people play up to them. Why? Because they are afraid of retribution. So JC has had enough. Does it excuse a lack of tact or being aggressive? No. But if the press can print anything in the press and attack and not be held accountable, I'm in the corner of people dishing it out back at them. They press doesn't have a problem hurting people, but can't take it. I don't get the impression JC was wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't agree at all,with all due respect, with either your assessment or that of Dave Borges. There may have been what I would call a slight misunderstanding based on what Harrison had told the reporter and what he had told JC. Factor in Harrison's comments to Susan Herbst and her statements to the media; and there seems to be no doubt that not only is UConn on the right track; but there is aggressive and thorough commitment and cooperation at all (related) levels in the university(apparently for the first time by JC's implication) to accomplish any and all academic related goals.Clearly we've all seen and heard JC get down and dirty. This wasn't one of those situations.

And I have to say that JC is by no means unique among managers in all sports all over the planet who have just plain had enough of media trolling for information,distorting situations and twisting facts to sell copy or jack up internet hits. I'm not one who believes that all media are useless. But there are certainly enough of them out there who use methods that would get under anybody's skin.

Reaction Score
calhoun has his own form of charm....in his past life he worked on a gloucester lobster boat.. he has that salty sharp tongue

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I chuckled at Oriakhi here:

“I think it’s kind of hard to ask so much from a sophomore, but that’s the role that’s been given to him," Oriakhi said. "They wouldn’t have asked that of him if he wasn’t able to do it. I just think he needs to slow down a little bit. He’s definitely been hitting shots and playing great defense, but he needs to slow down, take his time and be a little patient – especially with the big men, because his passes are hard to catch, and my hands aren’t the best. I tell him he’s got to be patient with me sometimes.”

Reaction Score
I was not a fan of Oriakhi his freshman year because he was a cry baby, he has grown into a good/great leader

Reaction Score
My only question is, "Does Shabazz pay any attention to AO's advice?" From other comments raised by those who have seen recent practices, Bazz doesn't yet appear to have his head in the game. Let's hope that changes soon.

Reaction Score
I was not a fan of Oriakhi his freshman year because he was a cry baby, he has grown into a good/great leader

99, interesting you say that. I don't remember that being the case, but then again you read the horde's stuff more than any of us.

Reaction Score
My only question is, "Does Shabazz pay any attention to AO's advice?" From other comments raised by those who have seen recent practices, Bazz doesn't yet appear to have his head in the game. Let's hope that changes soon.
Other than the occasional head-scratching shot and not fighting over screens, which he seemed to correct late in the season, I don't recall being all that worried about his play. He's just a Sophomore. He's got a lot of upside. He'll be fine.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
99, interesting you say that. I don't remember that being the case, but then again you read the horde's stuff more than any of us.

I would guess that 99 is referring to Alex being visibly upset over every single foul called on him. His emotional reactions often seemed to take his head out of the game for significant periods of time. He seemed to stop having that problem over the course of last year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Other than the occasional head-scratching shot and not fighting over screens, which he seemed to correct late in the season, I don't recall being all that worried about his play. He's just a Sophomore. He's got a lot of upside. He'll be fine.

I also think that Bazz is going to be fine, but I think that it will take some time and some ups and downs to get there. He made a lot of wtf decisions and seemed to focus his play around Kemba a great deal. He has to learn a new role and will have to get better at thinking the game on the court rather than being a risk-taker. Should be fun if we don't expect him to be perfect from the get-go.

C

Chief00

Am I correct that we were already punished for 2009/2010 - because it was part of the 4 years that made us lose ships? If true, what's the logic for re-punishing us for our dismal performance in 2009/2010? Typically that would be called double jeopardy. While the NCAA is a private association the concept against double jeopardy is part of the American tradition and principle.

Now I am going to say something that hasn't been in the conversation much - So much for the higher academic standards stuff - The reality is a huge part of the problem is the courses offered to SEC type players vs. our players. It is far from a level playing field. That is part of the topics that needs to be explored. LET'S GET REAL.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I also think that Bazz is going to be fine, but I think that it will take some time and some ups and downs to get there. He made a lot of wtf decisions and seemed to focus his play around Kemba a great deal. He has to learn a new role and will have to get better at thinking the game on the court rather than being a risk-taker. Should be fun if we don't expect him to be perfect from the get-go.

Fortunately, we've got an easy 1st half schedule to ease the 2 pgs in. I'm not bemoaning like most on here. We've got some transitioning to do.

Shabazz doesn't need to be anything amazing this year; we've got too many other weapons. We need him to be steady. A more dynamic version of Craig Austrie maybe.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fortunately, we've got an easy 1st half schedule to ease the 2 pgs in. I'm not bemoaning like most on here. We've got some transitioning to do.

Shabazz doesn't need to be anything amazing this year; we've got too many other weapons. We need him to be steady. A more dynamic version of Craig Austrie maybe.
The beginning of his sophomore season, KW was the starting pg. And he really struggled running the team. He would over penetrate driving into the lane and would commit turnovers or get blocked because he didn't have the skill sets he displayed his junior year. Check out the Texas game, KW's sophomore season, that people have linked. KW had 8 turnovers in that game. JD did a lot to carry the team that game.

After that game the team went through a losing streak or playing poorly with KW running the team. Which is why JC switched JD into the starting pg role. By the end of the season, KW figured out how to play under control. The reason none of us noticed or emphasized KW's shortcoming his freshman season was because he played behind AJP.

I suspect SN is in a similar position.

Reaction Score
The schedule is perfect for curing any point guard woes. No worries at all.

Reaction Score
I would guess that 99 is referring to Alex being visibly upset over every single foul called on him. His emotional reactions often seemed to take his head out of the game for significant periods of time. He seemed to stop having that problem over the course of last year.

total my opinion, though his freshman year he got really rattled and worked up when he missed easy shots and it would take him a few minutes to get his mind back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom