Boozers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boozers

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Truly sickening that top-10 players keep committing to a coach who has proved absolutely nothing. These guys, especially the tall one, are really good, too. Sucks.

At least here there's a family history

Reaction Score
Truly sickening that top-10 players keep committing to a coach who has proved absolutely nothing. These guys, especially the tall one, are really good, too. Sucks.

At least here there's a family history
They did make the Elite 8. Scheyer would likely have to fall on his face for multiple years to start denting brand. Lots of equity in the Duke aura.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
They did make the Elite 8. Scheyer would likely have to fall on his face for multiple years to start denting brand. Lots of equity in the Duke aura.

So has he proved to you that he can coach?

I hear what you're saying, they're obviously coasting on reputation, but don't kids care about winning and developing?

Reaction Score
So has he proved to you that he can coach?

I hear what you're saying, they're obviously coasting on reputation, but don't kids care about winning and developing?
While I have my doubts in Scheyer based on what I’ve seen, he really hasn’t shown much one way or another - pretty neutral, with the brand continuing to get his back on the recruiting trail. K is also still pretty involved over there. Big year for him.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
While I have my doubts in Scheyer based on what I’ve seen, he really hasn’t shown much one way or another - pretty neutral, with the brand continuing to get his back on the recruiting trail. K is also still pretty involved over there. Big year for him.

Who's a guy who exceeded expectations? Certainly not Kyle Filipowski. What season did the team exceed expectations?

I agree it's too early to know whether he can coach or not -- but if you were helping your kid pick a coach, wouldn't you want to go with a guy you know can coach?

I don't think we really disagree. I just think it's BS he's being gifted kids because of the school he's at. And while I don't expect a Matt Doherty situation, there's really nothing I'd enjoy more (apart from more UConn titles).

awy

Reaction Score
they are big on the social media metrics and branding stuff. if you think you are already good enough it's a boost to your mind share presence and sneaker value

Orc

Reaction Score
I think they kinda wasted other schools time imho . The family members are duke fans .

Same with Kiyan Anthony. Everyone knows where he’s going but still pretends like he’s undecided lol

Reaction Score
Let the 5 stars go to Duke/Kentucky so they can underachieve as a team.

I'll take Calhoun/Hurley with 4 stars over Scheyer/Pope/Calipari types with 5 stars all day long...

With this staff's talent evaluation choices, roster construction prowess, offensive system approach, and player development acumen our teams will prevail more often than not.

Reaction Score
The Law of Large Numbers would suggest that sometime in the future Scheyer should be able to take advantage of the talent he's accumulated and gather some trophies. The guy can recruit. But can he coach at a championship level?

The MVP for Duke's Men's Program is their GM -Rachel Baker. I don't know how she manages her NIL budget and spreads it around the roster but it seems to be helping them. At least in the current NCAA NIL landscape.

Don't get it twisted. I'm a UConn homer. My only wish is that Duke does not stand in the way of UConn getting more hardware. Game on.

Reaction Score
Let the 5 stars go to Duke/Kentucky so they can underachieve as a team.

I'll take Calhoun/Hurley with 4 stars over Scheyer/Pope/Calipari types with 5 stars all day long...

With this staff's talent evaluation choices, roster construction prowess, offensive system approach, and player development acumen our teams will prevail more often than not.
One thing you’ve hear over and over with the Boozers is that they are tough winning players. They do the small things and love hoops. Would have been great fits for Uconn, but too many things in the way there to make it a possibility.

Reaction Score
The Law of Large Numbers would suggest that sometime in the future Scheyer should be able to take advantage of the talent he's accumulated and gather some trophies. The guy can recruit. But can he coach at a championship level?

The MVP for Duke's Men's Program is their GM -Rachel Baker. I don't know how she manages her NIL budget and spreads it around the roster but it seems to be helping them. At least in the current NCAA NIL landscape.

Don't get it twisted. I'm a UConn homer. My only wish is that Duke does not stand in the way of UConn getting more hardware. Game on.
Would not worry about Duke getting in the way

Reaction Score
How does a Duke get a Karaban (3rd year kid who starts with program and keeps getting better), Clingan who stays 2nd year, Hassan who keeps getting better into 3rd year after transferring, etc.

My question is given Duke and UConn play who is better in "that game", a end of freshman year Flagg or Boozer or a end of 3rd year Karaban, Stewart or Ball? How much help are other high ranking freshman to Duke vs. UConn's older and more experienced players (not as NBA attractive)?

Guess we will see, even if don't play only one team wins it all, and given large amount of good teams it could very well be neither. Not sure if someone gave me UConn or Duke vs. field for 2024-25 how confident would be on picking UConn/Duke.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
in the future Scheyer should be able to take advantage of the talent he's accumulated and gather some trophies. The guy can recruit.

I feel you are giving Scheyer too much respect here. It's the brand Duke that can recruit. These recruits are sold on the fact, by the name Duke, that they will end up in the NBA just by putting on that Duke uniform. Scheyer hasn't won squat since taking over for K except recruiting wars that he has done very little in terms of development. His players get exponentially better when they are coached in the NBA - yes, I would expect all to improve in the league, but the UConn players seem to be more prepared physically as well as mentally.
I am no longer scared/in awe of the Duke program. UConn has more (6 vs 5) and I feel that as long as DH and his staff are around the propensity for UConn to win NCs is much higher than Duke. With Flagg et al this year, if Duke fails to appear in the final 4, it will be viewed as an epic failure. Scheyer is just not a very good game coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Ahmad Rashad is committing. But just rumors.
That's another sport. Baseball. And the poor kid never made it out of the pony leagues. He was last seen running around the Astrodome in between innings.

Reaction Score
Family members are Duke fans. Ill be surprised if its not duke.

I don't know why I'm cackling at this response.

Yes they're such big fans that one of them is named after the gosh darn arena they play in.

Reaction Score
Was there ever any doubt about this?

puke GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why do any of us care? This was a foregone conclusion based on their last names. Duke is still a very attractive program even if the coach is a question mark.

Reaction Score
who cares? we will get the guys we want
I'm not sure we didn't want the Boozers. I mean what Coach wouldn't?

From what I've seen they are very talented with pedigree. I believe dook is perfect for them, just not for us. We've proven we can win Championships with 'anybody' or all types of players with our great recruiting staff.

Hurley ain't that attractive to prima donnas used to being worshiped and always getting special treatment.

awy

Reaction Score
it's like when you are trying to overthrow the previous dynasty, anything that can break the momentum of built up prestige is good, and anything that helps that momentum is bad. their relative lack of coaching is somewhat covered up by smart players like flagg/boozers.

Reaction Score
Shheyer was their main recruiter and the one to secure Tatum and Zion along with a few top classes. It’s the one thing he has done very well.

Keeping them for a 2nd year has proven more difficult.lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom