Boomer/Carton this AM Uconn/Duke Fixed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boomer/Carton this AM Uconn/Duke Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I finally brought myself to watch this game on replay (sober) after watching from @huskies92 's courtside seats (Thank you Saint Skinner). I was so angry with the way the game was called that I couldn't sleep until late into the night.

Most upsetting calls in order:

1: The intentional foul on Terrence. It was the same exact scenario as the first half when boat picked Tyus Jones' pocket and had a clear path. In that scenario Jones reaches out and grabs Boatright and its a 1 and 1, but in the 2nd half, its an intentional foul. It also isn't even a rule anymore.

2: The foul on Facey for going straight up and making contact with Jones' extending forearm.

3: Jones' off ball flop ~2.30 mark in the 2nd half. Purvis was denying him the ball and he was getting frustrated. Purvis had his arms extended on the trip. Jones run's into his arm's twice (using the bazz head fake) without getting the call before full on diving to the floor on screening action off ball. It's disgusting.

4: Amida's 5th foul. I thought it was a travel live but it was just Okafor's clever footwork. However if you can watch that play and tell me where the foul I'll be shocked. The only contact on the play was Okafor shoving Amida in the chest for clearance. You would think the officials would give him some respect given that...

5: His 3rd and 4th fouls were also BS. I understand the block charge call in the first half. I understand him getting his second foul for dropping his extended arms on Okafor. His 3rd foul was getting tangled off ball in a back screen in the paint where Winslow puts 2 hands on his back and he gets a hand on Okafor's waste. It was 16 min into the 2nd half when he sat the entire first in foul trouble, there was no reason for that whistle. It was ticky tack bull. And his 4th foul he's moving his feet well and Okafor is just bull charging him. His right arm is down by his waste but not extended. His left arm is straight up and does not make contact. It was as good as he could play defensively. Amida was robbed of his opportunity to show how he could play against Okafor in the second half.

6: Okafor should have picked up his 2nd foul with 8 min left in the first half. He made a big to big pass to Jefferson in the paint before plowing over Phil (again). The ref's didn't blow the whistle.

7: Terrence's full court press hand check. Ollie's reaction said it all.

Do I think we should have won this game? No. But Duke shot like crap from 3. We turned them over 19 times and we capitalized on a lot of those turnovers into points. We outscored them by 10 in the paint. We out shot them from the floor. We got into the lane "at will" according to Bilas. We we're not settling for jump shots. Facey got creamed with the body on one of his layups on one end and that kind of contact was a foul all day on the other. I thought we executed our gameplan damn near perfection. We deserved to be within a punchers shot of them and never got that chance.

We're getting better and I'm encouraged by the performance and think we'll continue to build on it but this was not an evenly called game.

I only saw the game live; but, was that 3 point shot by Winslow with about 3 minutes left in the 2nd half preceded by a a travel by Jones (?). The guy I was with (a Colorado Alumni, no allegiance to either team) thought he took 4 or 5 steps straight across before passing it.

The T on Terrence clearly highlighted how this game was called overall.

I also think the early foul trouble on Brimah really messed him up for the game. I honestly wished Nolan started over him to absorb the early fouls that everyone knew Okafor would get early.

Also, anyone notice that ESPN story was about how 'hot under the collar' that Coach K was early int eh 2nd half and that heat helped drive Duke to win while no mention was made of Ollie needing to be restrained by some very questionable calls? I though KO was going for a T after Brimah's 5th fouls because it was nearly a lost cause by that point?

While the horrid referees hurt UConn, especially as its very tough for any team to overcome a 34 to 13 FT disparity, the lack of a second, serious shooter who wanted the ball and wanted to take shots besides Boat was the primary reason UConn lost. Hopefully with experience, this issue will be addressed time for UConn to win the AAC and get into the Dance.

Reaction Score
The one call that really got me was the missed basket interference in the last minute or two. We got the lead down to 6, Okafor clanks both FT's and they get two free points on the rebound. The announcers didnt even seem to catch it. More than half the ball was over the rim still. It effectively ended whatever chance we had.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
you mean NY sports radio wasn't discussing Rutgers basketball?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The one call that really got me was the missed basket interference in the last minute or two. We got the lead down to 6, Okafor clanks both FT's and they get two free points on the rebound. The announcers didnt even seem to catch it. More than half the ball was over the rim still. It effectively ended whatever chance we had.
I watched this a couple times and decided it was too close to be mad about either way. Facey puts a body on Jefferson and it's a non issues, he didn't "hit" first.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
2: The foul on Facey for going straight up and making contact with Jones' extending forearm.
That call was very bad.
I was also particularly peeved about a rebound Okafor got. The announcers were loving what a great rebound and putback he just got, but the replay shows two arms on the UConn player's back. Bilas may have made mention of it. Should have been an offensive foul.
As everyone else said, we didn't play well enough to win, but there were some head scratchers. Would love to hear more about the official that never called a foul on Duke. That strikes me as almost impossible to do given how much contact goes on.

Reaction Score
JC actually lauded the trio (along with Bilas) before the game. The game was reffed poorly, but fixed? Carton loves to light fires

Reaction Score
Officiating was horrible, at the IZOD Center the crowd was chanting "Ref's U Suck". But that isn't why we lost. No ability to score from our centers, no bench scoring, not hitting free throws, no ability to stick a 3 (besides Boat).

No ability to score from our centers...Maybe because Brimah hardly ever saw the floor. Came a long way from the 40 points against Coppin State.

Reaction Score
No ability to score from our centers...Maybe because Brimah hardly ever saw the floor. Came a long way from the 40 points against Coppin State.
Duke is not Coppin State. No threes, no inside scoring, no bench scoring, no wins

Reaction Score
Still waiting for the thread with posts that say: "I can't believe how many calls went our way against (insert non-P5 team)!"

Agreed there were some shaky calls against Duke, but let's worry about fixing what we can.

Reaction Score
If UConn hit all their free throws they still lose.

Reaction Score
Stated one ref in particular will come under scrutiny. Apparently the ref named Randy Levine. The entire game he did not make one single call against Duke.
Roger Ayers - in the ref who did not make one single call on a Duke Player.

For the record, Ken Pomeroy just tweeted:
Ken Pomeroy‏@kenpomeroy
Ayers has most conservative whistle of 349 D-I refs: -3.6 fouls per 40 all by himself.

So... yeah. Enough conspiracy theories. He didn't call fouls on Duke because he doesn't call fouls in general.

Reactions: caw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69