Bonjour: Analyzing UConn’s 2021 class | The Boneyard

Bonjour: Analyzing UConn’s 2021 class

Reaction Score
The 2020 and 2021 classes added a great deal of talent overall, but were extremely good on a couple of characteristics, passing in 2020, and shooting in 2021. It is rare to ever get one passer like Paige or Nika, but two in the same year is exceptional. I don't know about Mir or Piath regarding that skill relative to their positions, but Aaliyah appears to be way above average for a big, and Autumn averaged 10 assists per game. Although not part of the 2020 class, we also add the starting point guard on a pretty significant program in Evina. When has a school added this much passing in one year?

Then in 2021 we have not one but two exceptional shooters already coming in Carolyn and Saylor with the potential for a third in Azzi. If she commits to us I think that would be one of the best recruiting classes for shooting ever as well. DeBarry is also generally regarded as a pretty good shooter with decent range for a 6-5 player.

So with Brady on board for 2022, while pursuing Betts and other athletic 6-2 or 6-3 players, is 2022 the year of the rebounder or defense? Ha!

Reaction Score
from simply a potential standpoint next year's UConn team will be the best outside shooting team they've had in years and that's without Azzi Fudd...........add and I'm going to say it's as good as any past UConn team I've seen but I'll leave it up to the real UConn experts to decide the last team that had better shooters.....

Reaction Score
We're DEEEEEEEP... after the current commits sign it shows from the 1 to the 5 position. and we'll be DEEEEEP for a few years.. even without Fudd (unfortunately)... You gotta honestly wonder how she makes sense here. I hate saying that, but, geesh, Geno has seriously reloaded everywhere.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We're DEEEEEEEP... after the current commits sign it shows from the 1 to the 5 position. and we'll be DEEEEEP for a few years.. even without Fudd (unfortunately)... You gotta honestly wonder how she makes sense here. I hate saying that, but, geesh, Geno has seriously reloaded everywhere.

It makes all the sense in the world for her to come to UConn. I think it depends on her self confidence, her wanting to be coached and trained by the BEST WCBB coach (staff) in the country, and her desire to play with her BFF for 3 years. If she comes to UConn, SHE WILL PLAY!!! She will never be sorry she chose to come here!!! Some players would be concerned and weary of what upperclassmen are ahead of them on the depth chart, and how they can fit in to the program.

She won't have that concern. Her skill set, and BB IQ will make room for her here. Some players are not the least bit concerned, and welcome the challenge of competing for playing time. Like Aaliyah Edwards said "I want to be the best, and I want to be coached hard" That's my kind of player!!! ;)

Some may even be so bold (and confident in their game) to come in and think: "they need to be concerned and weary of ME". "No one is going to keep me on the bench". THAT is the kind of player I would want if I were a coach. I promised my self I would make no more references or comments about she whose name shall not be mentioned until AFTER she announces her decision tomorrow.

I have my thoughts and opinions about her possible choices, but I'll keep them to myself for now. Right now (today), I am most concerned about the reports (here in the yard) of the overtures made to her by Under Amour and the relationship she has with them. I will express my observations on her announcement and signing AFTER her reveal. I will respect whatever decision she makes.

If she does not choose to come to UConn, I'll wish her well. SHE must choose the program that she feels will serve her best. I think it's the consensus of the Boneyard and UConn Nation that the best place for her to continue her maturation through organized basketball is UConn. She may or may not feel that way, we'll see. She would make an already insanely good program next year even better.

Not only will Geno not allow her to cheat her potential, she will also be nurtured and groomed into becoming the best person she can be. That's just as important, as it will serve her long after her playing days are over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It makes all the sense in the world for her to come to UConn. I think it depends on her self confidence, her wanting to be coached and trained by the BEST WCBB coach (staff) in the country, and her desire to play with her BFF for 3 years. If she comes to UConn, SHE WILL PLAY!!! She will never be sorry she chose to come here!!! Some players would be concerned and weary of what upperclassmen are ahead of them on the depth chart, and how they can fit in to the program.

She won't have that concern. Her skill set, and BB IQ will make room for her here. Some players are not the least bit concerned, and welcome the challenge of competing for playing time. Like Aaliyah Edwards said "I want to be the best, and I want to be coached hard" That's my kind of player!!! ;)

Some may even be so bold (and confident in their game) to come in and think: "they need to be concerned and weary of ME". "No one is going to keep me on the bench". THAT is the kind of player I would want if I were a coach. I promised my self I would make no more references or comments about she whose name shall not be mentioned until AFTER she announces her decision tomorrow.

I have my thoughts and opinions about her possible choices, but I'll keep them to myself for now. Right now (today), I am most concerned about the reports (here in the yard) of the overtures made to her by Under Amour and the relationship she has with them. I will express my observations on her announcement and signing AFTER her reveal. I think it's the consensus of the Boneyard and UConn Nation that the best place for her to continue her maturation through organized basketball is UConn. She would make an already insanely good program next year even better.

Not only will Geno not allow her to cheat her potential, she will also be nurtured and groomed into becoming the best person she can be. That's just as important, as it will serve her long after her playing days are over.
Sounds like you posted them (your personal thoughts) a bit.. and I respect this point of view wholeheartedly, but, keep in mind players of this ability love to compete against the best. When they compete against the best in front of everyone (a little different than in practice, even though that's great too) is a draw to them. Making a name for themselves at a place less established... trend set elsewhere... That's certainly in this young lady's thought process I'm certain.. And you can't blame her for that.

With that said, I'd be elated if her choice is to help continue the legacy of success up in Storrs CT....

Reaction Score
It’s something a coach doesn’t even think about. You take as much talent as possible and let the chips fall where they may. Their job is to win games and not worry about players feelings regarding being recruited over or playing time etc. That may sound harsh but it’s big business sports

Reaction Score

Wow -- I missed this before. How did I miss this (thank you carnac!!)?

It doesn't make sense?? How so?????????

What doesn't make sense? None of our freshmen have played a single game yet and the 2021 class - is only giving verbals and ofc we don't know exactly how they are going to be or if some may not ever come. It's a verbal from an unproven player to an extent, right?

I could also speak of how the other schools "don't make sense." But that's not a topic I care to entertain.

How is that arguably playing for the greatest wcbb coach ever, along with a chance to compete for titles every year, along with possibly playing along great talent so your game can be better highlighted, along with playing a fastbreak style that fits your game, along with playing one of the toughest schedules in wcbb, along with not having to get beat up because probably you have a lot of talent surrounding you (in which you have had a serious injury prior so getting beat up isn't ideal- not to mention past history that UCONN has had history that they d go the extra mile to take care of their players- recall BHunter) along with playing with your best friend - not make sense?

Playing in big games on National TV in which you won't be limited by crazy gimmick defenses designed specifically to stop you and limit your opportunities thus restricting what you can do/show on the biggest stage "doesn't make sense?"

If Hoopgurlz is right, do you realize what S.C. "is bringing" next year as well? If it makes sense for those players and for Dawn and SC, why doesn't it make sense for UCONN?

Reaction Score
Wow -- I missed this before. How did I miss this (thank you carnac!!)? ..............................................................................

If Hoopgurlz is right, do you realize what S.C. "is bringing" next year as well? If it makes sense for those players and for Dawn and SC, why doesn't it make sense for UCONN?

Let’s assume EsSPN Hoopgurlz is an SEC shill and look at the other established service that has done an updated ranking following Summer evaluations.

ASGR
SCar
Rivers 2
Johnson 4
Feagin 5
Hall 29
Total pts = 40

ASGR
UConn
FUDD 1
DeBerry 3
Ducharme 9
Poffenbarger 27
Total pts =40

both schools have talent already on campus with more on the way from this class. If Raven Johnson (SCar’s last commitment) wasn’t “scared off”, I don’t think Azi will be. As unanimous #1, she is probably confident of being big dog anywhere she goes.

I truly hope she chooses UConn because I want my school to be a part of one of the greatest rivalries ever over the coming decade. I want to argue that this 2021 has the greatest two-school-class EVER.

eSPN May tout SCar as having the #1 class based on Hoopgurlz but I think it’s best for the game and my school for them to tout the two classes together IF UCONN GETS AZI.

have a great day Boneyarders. I intend to celebrate as signatures arrive in Columbia.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Here's an analysis of UConn's 2021 class from World Exposure:

UConn has four commitments for next season — all four are nationally ranked in the Top 20.

Reaction Score
Not if SC doesn't win anymore games. Also games that mean something. UConn had the 2 games in 95 with one being the NC. Tennessee was it back then and that is what propelled them to Instant rivalry. Nothing between these two schools has done that.

Reaction Score
South Carolina and UConn isn't a rivalry. All it is right now is a game between 2 really good teams.
It was not a rivalry, until South Carolina won for the first time this past year. It may have been a flute {I am hoping that it WAS a fluke} and some may say its not a revalry until they beat UCONN in the NCAA tournament. To that I say, I hope UCONN never has another rivalry matchup ever again....

Go UCONN!!!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hold on, rivalry and evenly matched rivalry are two different items altogether.
Yankees vs Red Sox is a rivalry but not an evenly matched one, by any measurement-Won/Loss, Titles or WS. Dodgers-Giants is an even rivalry though with big swings of dominance. Montreal Canadiens–Toronto Maple Leafs is big rivalry but again not an even rivalry as Montreal has dominated.
By sheer fact Dawn And Geno coached together, have committed to play each, the fact Dawn subscribes to Geno’s view of playing tough teams during conference play and is now getting and in contention for top 5 players every year, YES IT IS A RIVALRY. Does it have the footprint of Tenn-UConn and Pat-Geno, of course not. The world of women’s sports was vastly different then and that propelled us toward the much better competitive environment we have now.

It ludicrous to say we don’t have a rivalry with S.C., granted a friendly rivalry and I hope we develop another similar rivalry with Louisville which I am sorry to say,
but I would be ok with dropping ND after this contact is up to make that happen.
Humbly submitted,
DefenseBB

Reaction Score
“It ain’t no rivalry” as the Dawgs say.

but Georgia schools don’t teach anything about double negatives.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
“It ain’t no rivalry” as the Dawgs say.

but Georgia schools don’t teach anything about double negatives.
Really? Than why are you on our board posting about SC?

SC is a rival and I look forward to that staying in the Yankees Red Sox type of rivalry- heavily skewed towards UConn...:D

Reaction Score
Really? Than why are you on our board posting about SC?

SC is a rival and I look forward to that staying in the Yankees Red Sox type of rivalry- heavily skewed towards UConn...:D
Amen to that!!!! [even though I am a Red Sox fan....]

Reaction Score
If they continue to play each other for the next four or five years (as I think they will), it will be a full-fledged rivalry before the 2025 class graduates.
Indeed! the main point is it appears that SC will be the most relevant measuring stick over the next few years. This year there may be more legitimate contenders, but next year with tons of returning talent plus both SC and Uconn have great recruiting classes, those two teams will likely separate themselves from the rest of the field.

Uconn and SC the top 2, then a big dropoff to #3. Just like last year when the top 3 were at a different level than the next tier. Both team's had two monster classes, SC in 19 and 21, Uconn in 20 and 21. SC will be right near the top until the Boston class graduates, Uconn the same until Paige's class graduates. If either team adds much in subsequent years their dominance of course can continue well beyond that, but both teams being very very good for the next few years is pretty much baked into the cake.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
sorry. Wrong board for that joke.

it is a “budding rivalry” but we are still at the stage of being thankful that Geno schedules us.
for my 2 cents, it was a fine joke. fwiw, i enjoy your posts and commend the careful phrasing you use to not offend some of my thin skinned northern friends. one aspect that makes THE BONEYARD a better forum is the posters who have allegiance to other schools and are real WBB fans who post here. so thanks @Dillon77, @Orangutan, @cockhrnleghrn, and all the other 'interlopers' keep up the good stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom