Boneyard Top 25: Preseason 2022-2023 Poll Results | The Boneyard

Boneyard Top 25: Preseason 2022-2023 Poll Results

Reaction Score
Hear ye, hear ye all ye faithful Boneyard folks! The time has come for the grand reveal of the 2022-2023 Women's Basketball Preseason Poll! @Lorcan and @undersized hope that a few minor tweaks will please the crowds. I'll provide some commentary below; however, without further ado.....your poll is below! Congratulations to South Carolina for being a near-unanimous #1 from the 24 voters who participated!

Firstly, you'll note that we provide the highest ranking a team received along with the low ranking that a team received from the esteemed voters of the Boneyard Collective. For example, Stanford received 1 first place vote; however, their low ranking was #4 by some unknown member of this community who shall remain nameless.

Secondly, we are adding a feature to show how a team rises and drops. In this poll, the biggest mover was the Lady Vols out of Knoxville - as we ranked them 22nd in our final poll last year; however, this year, they debut at #4 - just points ahead of the home favorite, UConn!

Thirdly, we will reveal all of the teams receiving a vote in this poll. You will note that UCF and FGCU are on the bottom of this poll. (If you can't see them -- please scroll down on the poll itself to see all of the teams.) This is because they were in the last Boneyard Poll from last season; however, they did not receive any votes.

Again, we would like to express our appreciation to @Plebe for beginning this lovely tradition, and hope that we can be fine stewards of this poll this season.

This poll will continue to be a bi-weekly poll. As such, we anticipate the next poll closing on November 20th at the close of games. We will provide a more exact deadline as we get closer.

Reaction Score
18 place jump for Tennessee and 14 place jump for Notre Dame. I understand the influx of portal talent for both teams but , for me, the question is: Are the coaches up to the task?

Michigan and Bylor with projected double-digit drops!

And Thank you for your work and, as always, thanks for Plebe's past efforts!

Reaction Score
I was a bit shocked by some of the usually good teams that were missing on at least one ballot. After looking at the results I realized I had forgotten to rank a team I Now hope UConn will never have to face. Georgia will likely be ranked in the top 20 this year due to the coaching change and transfer of some players along with their coach. I am not a fan of her coaching style but admit they will win a lot of games. South Florida is likely the beneficiary of that change as I would think that once again they will win their conference. UCF I expect will fade into faint memory. As for DePaul - oh how the mighty have fallen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was a bit shocked by some of the usually good teams that were missing on at least one ballot. After looking at the results I realized I had forgotten to rank a team I Now hope UConn will never have to face. Georgia will likely be ranked in the top 20 this year due to the coaching change and transfer of some players along with their coach. I am not a fan of her coaching style but admit they will win a lot of games. South Florida is likely the beneficiary of that change as I would think that once again they will win their conference. UCF I expect will fade into faint memory. As for DePaul - oh how the mighty have fallen.

Wow Depaul and High Point garnered the same number of votes :eek:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not too many problems as a whole with the poll results, but some of the highest and lowest rankings for a few of the teams are a bit interesting. Someone had UGA as high as @ 11, NC @ 5 Michigan @9, Arizona @4. Meanwhile UCONN was as low as 15, NC State as low at 21, and a few other eye raisers.

Just curious though.. who had NC at 5 ???

Reaction Score
Not too many problems as a whole with the poll results, but some of the highest and lowest rankings for a few of the teams are a bit interesting. Someone had UGA as high as @ 11, NC @ 5 Michigan @9, Arizona @4. Meanwhile UCONN was as low as 15, NC State as low at 21, and a few other eye raisers.

Same person who had NC State at 21?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A-plus for the spreadsheet creator! That is the system I dreamt about for the past three years.

It's too bad that with so many of the ranked teams in action today, all of them except Creighton and South Dakota State scheduled de facto exhibition games against cream puff opponents. Not much to glean.

sun

Reaction Score

What's the difference when individual polls should eventually even out over time?
You can be sure that some now unranked team will move to the middle of the poll before the end of the season.
Meanwhile higher ranked teams will move down and lower ranked teams will move up.
That's the politics of ranking teams for the purpose of offsetting others who also rank teams either too high or too low.

The site below lists NC State & UNC as being pretty evenly matched & predicts an upset in Duke's favor.
But a few more losses for either team, whether it's based on a hunch or a dislike can mean that one team can justifiably begin the season further behind in the rankings than the other.

How fast a team climbs or falls in the poll is up to the individual.
I listed both teams at a disparity (not UNC not @ #5), but that's not much different than if Duke rises from #28 to #15 which is also a real possibility that's being overlooked by many pollsters.
As the season progresses, I may try to study the NET rankings for input as they develop.
Yet I think that playing hunches or gut feelings are okay too because sports are connected to the human elements of failure & success, injuries, emotions & other unpredictable factors.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A-plus for the spreadsheet creator! That is the system I dreamt about for the past three years.

It's too bad that with so many of the ranked teams in action today, all of them except Creighton and South Dakota State scheduled de facto exhibition games against cream puff opponents. Not much to glean.
Creighton beats SDSU 78-69 in a thriller on the road. Nip and Tuck and tied at 64 with 3+ minutes left and dug in on defense. The BlueJays were great at 3pt line and boy can they slip a screen. They will be fun to play against. That should move them up a bit. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Creighton beats SDSU 78-69 in a thriller on the road. Nip and Tuck and tied at 64 with 3+ minutes left and dug in on defense. The BlueJays were great at 3pt line and boy can they slip a screen. They will be fun to play against. That should move them up a bit. :D
Creighton is starting off the season with more road games than the Washington Generals: 7 of their first 8 games are on the road, and that's before they play at Stanford right before Christmas.

Reaction Score
Creighton is starting off the season with more road games than the Washington Generals: 7 of their first 8 games are on the road, and that's before they play at Stanford right before Christmas.
Great start with a nice win on the road against a tough opponent, and a schedule that'll prepare them for their new role as favorites in many games due to their Elite Eight run. Sorry to have missed an input into this year's poll, although, am surprised by LSU's ranking - with her lineup, to include some notable transfers, expect them to push the top five, not to mention battle for the SEC crown. We'll see how that team develops!

Reaction Score
Oh, and those Lady Vols continue their claim to being greatly overrated to begin the season…..losing Game 1 to
OSU:eek:

Reaction Score
18 place jump for Tennessee and 14 place jump for Notre Dame. I understand the influx of portal talent for both teams but , for me, the question is: Are the coaches up to the task?

Michigan and Bylor with projected double-digit drops!

And Thank you for your work and, as always, thanks for Plebe's past efforts!
It looked like coaching was a big issue in last night’s loss by the Vols. They were completely unprepared for the press. There’s a big difference in a collection of talent and a team. Kellie may pull them together during the next few weeks but, for now, they are not a team.

Same question still lingers for Notre Dame.

sun

Reaction Score
Keep an eye out for Alabama to potentially have a meteoric rise in the polls.
It's a team full of upperclassmen/ transfers with only one freshmen and no sophomores.
They're all in.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom