Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued?

Do you want to see the UConn - Tennessee series played and or continued?

• Yes

Votes: 142 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 22.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Maybe you're new here and don't truly understand the nature of this "Hatfield/McCoy" feud but I have highlighted a few items that maybe you could start a poll and get a better understanding of the dynamics at play here.
1. Both fan bases want to pummel one another to exert their superiority either to the current known status with UConn on top or to a "long ago, far, far away galaxy" when Tenn ruled the landscape.
2. Virtually all the Tenn fans despist Geno, despite known donations and a reconciliation between Geno and Pat. They feel their "Sainted Pat" was a "do no wrong" type person and Geno was pure evil. Logical people know that the truth lies somewhere in between. Mostly, they are upset that UConn has sped right by them in WCBB relevance and is the program all aspire to be...
3. Every long term UConn fan (those rooting for the school since 2008) do loath the Tenn administration and even Pat's actions for their petty, incorrect and ruthless attack about "recruiting violations".
4. IF EVERYONE has moved on, then why were there so many threads and the largest crowd of the season (13,659) show up to the game? Why did it have the largest viewing audience of any WCBB game thus far this season?
Look, as I noted in my previous post, no, this game did not have a "relevant 2020 WCBB" perspective on the state of WCBB but it did create oodles of interest for the mere fact they hadn't played each other. The good that came out of it was money for Alzheimers and UConn beat Tenn (again). I understand why you think the way you do from an "outside perspective" but go and peruse the VolNation site to see the vitriol and frustration still shown at Geno and UConn. Auburn hasn't been relevant in Football for years, but those fans still despise Alabama...

Thanks for the enlightening post. I've been regularly posting on here for over 15 years, back when the rivalry was at full heat and this board was on a completely different platform...so I'm well aware of both fan bases.

Both fan bases have some rabid fans who cling on to hating the opposing program 10+ years later and haven't let things go. It's the nature of the beast. No one has likely forgotten the events/comments that were made, but most have gotten over it and moved on. Your dramatic claims about "virtually all Tennessee fans despise Geno and think he's pure evil" just aren't true. Nor is the fact that UCONN fans all hate Tennessee. Some do, yes. Most don't. Based on your post it seems like you're wanting the fan bases to hate each other more than they actually do.

And when the greatest rivalry in women's sports gets revived for the first time in 13 years, of course fans are going to come watch the game and talk about it! It's quite normal. Women's basketball fans are usually an older crowd and I'll bet most season ticket holders on both sides have been going to games for 15-20 years. Attending a game like that takes you down memory road which is fun to do since there were so many classic games. Tennessee/UCONN for the first time in 13 years will absolutely draw in fans who want to see the game. Most fans aren't going there with blood boiling at the opportunity to crush Tennessee. It's a game that has historical context but you don't see fans here jumping up and down over the moon that they beat Tennessee. Everyone talked about the good and bad of the game breakdown, thoughts on the rivalry going forward and moved on to the next game. I doubt anyone will list beating Tennessee as a high point of the season when back in the day it was like winning the regular season national championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not what it was. It simply doesn't mean what it once did. Once upon a time, it was the clash of titans: the two greatest teams in the nation and the two greatest coaches in the nation. That is now down to the greatest coach in the nation and the most storied program in the country.

Kelly is a fine up-and-coming coach. But there are other up-and-comers that deserve series: Walz at Louisville, for example. We could schedule very meaningful and exciting match-ups with Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, DePaul, South Carolina, Mississippi State, LSU, UCLA, Gonzaga or Arizona. Or we could go for home-and-homes with a mix of strong teams on the cusp- Northwestern, Ohio State, Princeton, Michigan or Florida Gulf Coast. Simply put, Tennessee is one of many good teams we could add to the non-conference schedule.

As Bill Murray put it in the movie "Meatballs": "It just doesn't matter!"

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. I knew nothing about the Gino-Pat dispute ( and the vitriol spewed by those who took sides ), other than a fight over Maya Moore. So it is easy for me not to recall truly anger based grudges. I do believe Tennessee will return to glory....at least to a high level of play...with Kelly Jolly as the coach. And isn't there supposed to be something " divine " about forgiving?

If there is such a thing as to forgive is Devine then why are you spelling
The coach’s. Name as Gino? Especially since you say you know nothing about the dispute. I find this disrecptful.

Reaction Score
Let's quit living in the past thinking we can revive the "Geno VS Pat" heyday. Not going to happen. What can happen is a game between two women's teams who are supported by their schools, who have a history of winning national championships, who routinely recruit the some of the best talent from high schools, and who will draw huge attendance. To say we should not schedule a team like Tennessee is to say we should not schedule teams like Stanford, Oregon, South Carolina or Mississippi State. Let's live for the future and not in the past.

Reaction Score
You have a limited number of non-conference games to schedule. I would hope that UConn schedules the best available teams. We don’t know yet when or even if Tennessee will return to a perennial top 25, let alone top 10 team. Schedules of course are made in advance and require guesswork. Right now I am trying to figure out how Geno handles Anna’s homecoming game. He took the team to Italy, maybe an exhibition game in Poland is possible. I am a little bit serious. And it would be fun for Agata to meet her future teammates. Now I am very serious.

Reaction Score
You have a limited number of non-conference games to schedule. I would hope that UConn schedules the best available teams. We don’t know yet when or even if Tennessee will return to a perennial top 25, let alone top 10 team. Schedules of course are made in advance and require guesswork. Right now I am trying to figure out how Geno handles Anna’s homecoming game. He took the team to Italy, maybe an exhibition game in Poland is possible. I am a little bit serious. And it would be fun for Agata to meet her future teammates. Now I am very serious.
When we played Tennessee they were #24.

Reaction Score
If there is such a thing as to forgive is Devine then why are you spelling
The coach’s. Name as Gino? Especially since you say you know nothing about the dispute. I find this disrecptful.
I haven't spelled properly since 8th grade. I am too impatient to get my ideas out of my head. I disagree that my position is disrespectful.. It simply isn't yours.

Reaction Score
I am part of that contingent with the sour taste of the 37 page report and dismissal of all but the secondary ESPN tour schedule violation..... and I find it tough when ..... and it is usually when perusing the TN boards.... that Pat was 99 and 44/ hundredths pure and Geno is a cheater and an idiot.....

Having said that .... really like the bunch of LV posters here on our forum and when I have met LV fans around the country i have found them friendly knowledgable and engaging....

In CHW entire tenure I was very down on her.... because her coaching was so obviously bad.... but KJH is a bright light a distinct improvement.... I don't have a solid read on her yet but at least she is markedly an improvement over Holly....

I am always a fan of the players and that includes the LV team.... shame with Green's injury i hope they can finish strong.... they have worked hard this year

Reaction Score
Still and all, there was something about the game. It had a feel of Bigness to it, even though it wasn't. Rivalries are great in and of themselves and Vols will definitely improve quickly and significantly with their new coach. The players approached it as a rivalry game and I hope it becomes permanent even if only to raise money for the Foundation and other causes.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the enlightening post. I've been regularly posting on here for over 15 years, back when the rivalry was at full heat and this board was on a completely different platform...so I'm well aware of both fan bases.

Both fan bases have some rapid fans who cling on to hating the opposing program 10+ years later and haven't let things go. It's the nature of the beast. No one has likely forgotten the events/comments that were made, but most have gotten over it and moved on. Your dramatic claims about "virtually all Tennessee fans despise Geno and think he's pure evil" just aren't true. Nor is the fact that UCONN fans all hate Tennessee. Some do, yes. Most don't. Based on your post it seems like you're wanting the fan bases to hate each other more than they actually do.

And when the greatest rivalry in women's sports gets revived for the first time in 13 years, of course fans are going to come watch the game and talk about it! It's quite normal. Women's basketball fans are usually an older crowd and I'll bet most season ticket holders on both sides have been going to games for 15-20 years. Attending a game like that takes you down memory road which is fun to do since there were so many classic games. Tennessee/UCONN for the first time in 13 years will absolutely draw in fans who want to see the game. Most fans aren't going there with blood boiling at the opportunity to crush Tennessee. It's a game that has historical context but you don't see fans here jumping up and down over the moon that they beat Tennessee. Everyone talked about the good and bad of the game breakdown, thoughts on the rivalry going forward and moved on to the next game. I doubt anyone will list beating Tennessee as a high point of the season when back in the day it was like winning the regular season national championship.
Thanks for the input from the other side.
It’s a credit to you that I didn’t say “the dark side “

Reaction Score
Nothing is gained by playing these ingrates.
Yes, I tend to agree. While we seem to have civil Tenn posters on this site, all you need to do is go to one of the Tenn fan sites to see how negative they are on Geno and anything UCONN. I dont think many of their fans can get past Pat’s actions late in life.
Part of what no one mentions is that one of the things that help make that rivalry was the Martin Luther King afternoon games. Why not a Louisville or Miss State MLK afternoon game instead.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
None of the choices apply to how I feel. I believe there should be, and to an extent there is, a prioritization that goes something as follows:

1. Games for our recruits (like Vanderbilt and Dangerfield)
2. Projected top 5 teams.
3. Projected top 10 teams.
4. Projected top two teams for each P5 conference.
5. Promising mid-majors.
6. Projected top 25 teams.

Because of past history I would give the nod to Tennessee over another team in the same category, but not to one above it. Thus if they are not top 25, I would not schedule them. If they are top 25 but not top ten, and we can fill our scheduling slots with higher priorities, I would not schedule them. If they are a top ten team I would schedule them.

In other words, I am neither for nor against scheduling them outside of what is practical.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I would have voted YES if I was here on time. We can never have enough wins.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I liked what Geno suggested have Pat and Kay Yow fundraiser blockbuster Doubleheader 4 top teams...move the venue around, Madison Square Garden, Las Vegas, Indy, etc Mix it up TN/UC one year, Stanford/UC another year, etc.

Good idea. The teams that make the final four the previous year, could be scheduled to play in that doubleheader the next year. Eight different venues around the country could be selected to host these games on a rotating basis. Another option would be for Tennesse and the top 3 teams that finished 1-3 the year before play in the DH. Uconn does not necessarily have to play them every year. A fundraising doubleheader featurnig the top 3 teams in the country would draw lots of media attention and lots of WCBB fans, especially in areas of the country that would other wise never get to see those teams in their arenas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As far as all of the negative input from some of the Tennessee fans, I believe this is more of a compliment to our Lady Huskies, Do you think they would even pay attention if they were playing The University Of Dayton? The great ones are booed by the opposing teams. The mediocre teams are usually cheered.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
As far as all of the negative input from some of the Tennessee fans, I believe this is more of a compliment to our Lady Huskies, Do you think they would even pay attention if they were playing The University Of Dayton? The great ones are booed by the opposing teams. The mediocre teams are usually cheered.

There is no such team here. It's "Huskies" NOT Lady Huskies. Never was, never will be.

Reaction Score
We have been at 10 final fours. The opposing fans at 9 of them were great. The scary one was Tampa while Pat was stil the coach . The Tennessee fans traveled in packs and were quite threatening. If you read some of the Tennessee fan sites, most of the fans are pretty levelheaded, but there are a number that are quite threatening. I think their hate goes way beyond normal.

Reaction Score
We have been at 10 final fours. The opposing fans at 9 of them were great. The scary one was Tampa while Pat was stil the coach . The Tennessee fans traveled in packs and were quite threatening. If you read some of the Tennessee fan sites, most of the fans are pretty levelheaded, but there are a number that are quite threatening. I think their hate goes way beyond normal.
The last thing in the world I worry about is someone who doesn't have the guts to say something to your face. These clowns who go on-line and write nasty thinigs about people are the same type of people who hide in the middle of the crowd and shout "Go get them". You won't see this type of behavior in the Boneyard because "HuskyNan" keeps a tight rein on what is said. But I guarantee you that when you go to some other sites there are people, from Ct., who are not as civil or well spoken.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have been at 10 final fours. The opposing fans at 9 of them were great. The scary one was Tampa while Pat was stil the coach . The Tennessee fans traveled in packs and were quite threatening.
It's all the lead in their drinking water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom