Boneyard hysteria | The Boneyard

Boneyard hysteria

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Following the best season we have had in years and the announcement of the intended departure of a handful of players who clearly didn’t earn the confidence of the coaching staff to gain playing time, many of you decided that it was time to panic and reject your leader (Hurley). You decided you, with all of your division 1 coaching experience, and your daily interactions with the players, and your daily discussions with the assistant coaches (I’m being facetious here), knew more about what’s going on with the team than Hurley. “Fire him, something is terribly wrong with the culture, he’s a terrible recruiter.” I watched these posts for a week or so and was amazed at the grandiosity behind many of the wild opinions being shared. Did it ever occur to those of you who were certain that the sky was falling that you are a fan and that you don’t have 1/100 of the knowledge and the insight about coaching a D1 bball team as Hurley does? Why did you not assume the most likely scenario…. Hurley gave players honest feedback about where they stand and they decided to leave because they want playing time? You thought Hurley and his staff can’t evaluate talent correctly after a year with these players? Come on. You didn’t think Hurley knew he needed to get guards from the transfer portal??? Wow! I know the fun of the boneyard is to be an armchair quarterback but many of you went overboard after a wave splashed up over the bow . I’ve posted this to give some of you the chance to repent. .

Reaction Score
Following the best season we have had in years and the announcement of the intended departure of a handful of players who clearly didn’t earn the confidence of the coaching staff to gain playing time, many of you decided that it was time to panic and reject your leader (Hurley). You decided you, with all of your division 1 coaching experience, and your daily interactions with the players, and your daily discussions with the assistant coaches (I’m being facetious here), knew more about what’s going on with the team than Hurley. “Fire him, something is terribly wrong with the culture, he’s a terrible recruiter.” I watched these posts for a week or so and was amazed at the grandiosity behind many of the wild opinions being shared. Did it ever occur to those of you who were certain that the sky was falling that you are a fan and that you don’t have 1/100 of the knowledge and the insight about coaching a D1 bball team as Hurley does? Why did you not assume the most likely scenario…. Hurley gave players honest feedback about where they stand and they decided to leave because they want playing time? You thought Hurley and his staff can’t evaluate talent correctly after a year with these players? Come on. You didn’t think Hurley knew he needed to get guards from the transfer portal??? Wow! I know the fun of the boneyard is to be an armchair quarterback but many of you went overboard after a wave splashed up over the bow . I’ve posted this to give some of you the chance to repent. .
Boneyard hysteria is freaking out when a player gets 5 more minutes or 5 less minutes than you think they should. Boneyard hysteria is losing it because you don't like how DH uses timeouts. Boneyard hysteria is the belief you know who should start more than DH and the coaching staff.

Boneyard hysteria is not when you question why 4 players transferred in a week. At the very least you should be asking is this bad, or is this just part of the new normal that is the transfer portal?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Our incoming class $uck$

We landed the wrong Lamb

Kids don't want to play for Calhoun anymore (which followed Calhoun can't win the big one and then the game has passed him by)

That 2010 class has two rings.

I come here for news, witty posters and fanaticism. I don't come here for insight

Reaction Score
I hope you didn't stroke out.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Boneyard: Where the B stands for Bi Polar.

Reaction Score
Boneyard hysteria is not when you question why 4 players transferred in a week. At the very least you should be asking is this bad, or is this just part of the new normal that is the transfer portal?

Players who realize they are being recruited over transferring out is the new normal.

The good news is that the top of the food chain should see a net benefit from the musical chairs.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Boneyard hysteria is freaking out when a player gets 5 more minutes or 5 less minutes than you think they should. Boneyard hysteria is losing it because you don't like how DH uses timeouts. Boneyard hysteria is the belief you know who should start more than DH and the coaching staff.

Agreed. Asking questions and considering a reasonable possibility (Is this the new normal with the transfer portal?) is not boneyard hysteria. But these are not the examples I used to make my point. I referred to posts that were drawing definitive conclusions of doom and gloom and Hurley’s incompetence.

Reaction Score
There was not much hysteria at all until Floyd transferred. Which obviously doesn't make this about playing time.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Do we need to repent before we can worship you O High and Exalted One?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Repent! Just wait until one or more of the portalers flames out (35% from 3) next year!

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
They shall REPENT.
I meant to put a laughing face emoji after the word “repent.” The tone of the post wasn’t meant to be harsh, just amazement and an invite to those who went overboard to laugh at themselves.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are guaranteeing a National Championship next year? Excellent.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Do we need to repent before we can worship you O High and Exalted One?
It was a joke oh serious and humorless one. No worship needed…. Just offering a reasoned opinion in a often nutty place. :)

Reaction Score
Did you not read the board after Diggins said he was transferring? I'd call that hysteria....

In DH I Trust...
I did. A lot of people critiqued Diggins' ability. It seemed pretty level-headed to me. We all saw his play. His handle was suspect for a lead point guard. This is the opposite of hysteria.

I saw nothing really crazy kick in on this board until Floyd left. At that point, panic and hysteria were justified.

I'm still personally hoping we can get a guard who can run an offense and not just score it.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Asking questions and considering a reasonable possibility (Is this the new normal with the transfer portal?) is not boneyard hysteria. But these are not the examples I used to make my point. I referred to posts that were drawing definitive conclusions of doom and gloom and Hurley’s incompetence.
That's the thing I'm really wondering - will we go through this every year moving forward?

Reaction Score
Newton is very capable of running our offense. Are you saying you want a guard who is one dimensional and can't score? That makes no sense to me Newton gives us the best of both worlds.

Reaction Score
Newton is very capable of running our offense. Are you saying you want a guard who is one dimensional and can't score? That makes no sense to me Newton gives us the best of both worlds.
I really liked RJ Cole a lot, he was a scoring guard. But running an offense was clearly not his forte. He never had the timing down and relied on his dribbling skills to break people down and kick out.

So, yes, I'd like to see a classic UConn guard at the point, many of whom could score (Shabazz, Williams, El-Amin, Price) and some of whom were not great scorers (Brown, Ollie).

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
That's the thing I'm really wondering - will we go through this every year moving forward?
Probably to some degree. But clearly Hurley seems to understand now with the new normal that the transfer portal brings, that he needs to be mindful of giving playing time to young players who he believes will be valuable moving forward.

Reaction Score
I really liked RJ Cole a lot, he was a scoring guard. But running an offense was clearly not his forte. He never had the timing down and relied on his dribbling skills to break people down and kick out.

So, yes, I'd like to see a classic UConn guard at the point, many of whom could score (Shabazz, Williams, El-Amin, Price) and some of whom were not great scorers (Brown, Ollie).
Not trying to be a Richard. But isn’t breaking someone down off the dribble and kicking out to open looks exactly what you would want your PG to do?

Lots of teams have multiple guys who initiate an offense. (UNC & Kansas last year for example) Seems like you’re issue is more with the offense, which I don’t think a ton of posters would disagree on. I think our biggest issue last year was more that we ONLY had RJ to initiate offense till later in the season when AJ started to do it more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom