Boneyard Hot Take of the Week | The Boneyard

Boneyard Hot Take of the Week

What the most flaming, scorching, scalding hot take of the week?

• We should have fired Ollie immediately after he won the title

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • We should give Raphael Chillious the job

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • We should hire JTIII

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • We should hire a "European coach"

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • UVA is going to fire Tony Bennett

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • The Pitt job is more enticing than the UConn one because 9 players transferred

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 10 9.7%

• Total voters

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I completely missed the “firing KO immediately after winning the title” one. Any saints willing to PM me with a quick summary?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some such mid major (i forget which one) has more talent than UCONN in 2014. :eek:

Tony Bennett is about to be fired.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I completely missed the “firing KO immediately after winning the title” one. Any saints willing to PM me with a quick summary?

No.

You should stay as far away from that as possible.

Your current Boneyard status....

3006209-poster-1280-how-live-life-high-wire-part-1.jpg

Reaction Score
Desperate times call for desperate measures which I guess explains some (or even all) of those posts. All of which I disagree with, but can't fault people too much.

I did ask if it would be possible to hire a Euro coach a few weeks back. I was just wondering if it was possible. People explained it to me and I understood why it would likely not work. But I thought the guy who made the actual post recently did not really get any solid responses. If it was such a "NO" I thought people would have tons of solid reasons for him. They did not.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No.

You should stay as far away from that as possible.

Your current Boneyard status....

3006209-poster-1280-how-live-life-high-wire-part-1.jpg

Not sure what asking someone else to summarize a third party’s terrible argument in a two-person PM has to do with my status here. I do appreciate the concern though.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Desperate times call for desperate measures which I guess explains some (or even all) of those posts. All of which I disagree with, but can't fault people too much.

I did ask if it would be possible to hire a Euro coach a few weeks back. I was just wondering if it was possible. People explained it to me and I understood why it would likely not work. But I thought the guy who made the actual post recently did not really get any solid responses. If it was such a "NO" I thought people would have tons of solid reasons for him. They did not.

Recruiting.

I thought it was funny because he didn't have anyone in mind, just some unspecified European coach.

Silly suggestions don't tend to elicit a lot of (non-insulting) reasons why they won't work.

Reaction Score
Recruiting.

I thought it was funny because he didn't have anyone in mind, just some unspecified European coach.

Silly suggestions don't tend to elicit a lot of (non-insulting) reasons why they won't work.
Ya, I missed the fact that he did not have anyone in mind.

Reaction Score
The best part about the Pitt argument wasn't that it was an ACC school (though that played a role), but that it was a better job precisely because they had just lost 9 players...

The place has gone off the deep end.

That said, I did still pick: "In retrospect, should we have fired KO after he won the title."

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Let's not forget someone who claims to have journalistic credibility said Kevin Ollie should be replaced by nobody and UConn basketball should downgrade to Division 3.

I know that wasn't a Boneyard take, but we should admire that those string of words formulated in someone's brain, and that they spent time expressing those thoughts in the form of an article on the internet.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The best part about the Pitt argument wasn't that it was an ACC school (though that played a role), but that it was a better job precisely because they had just lost 9 players...

The place has gone off the deep end.

That said, I did still pick: "In retrospect, should we have fired KO after he won the title."

I didn’t say it was, I said it could be, but By has never let the facts get in the way. Also frame hadn’t said he was leaving yet either.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say it was, I said it could be, but By has never let the facts get in the way. Also frame hadn’t said he was leaving yet either.
So, to get you right: you said that the Pitt job could be a better job because they lost 8 players.

I don't think that sounds any less absurd in a sport that allows 13 scholarships.

I'm sympathetic to Pitt as a destination maybe being better than some are giving it credit for, but too many others are falling into a lazy "All P5 jobs are better than non-P5 ones" wrongness that's laughable. Like, for instance, the poster asking why, if Hurley didn't go to Rutgers two years ago, Hurley would come here.

the Q

Reaction Score
So, to get you right: you said that the Pitt job could be a better job because they lost 8 players.

I don't think that sounds any less absurd in a sport that allows 13 scholarships.

I'm sympathetic to Pitt as a destination maybe being better than some are giving it credit for, but too many others are falling into a lazy "All P5 jobs are better than non-P5 ones" wrongness that's laughable. Like, for instance, the poster asking why, if Hurley didn't go to Rutgers two years ago, Hurley would come here.

I disagreed that all p5s are better. But if you have P5 resources and your dead weight is gone, it really depends how you feel about the players staying on a competing roster.

Reaction Score
The fact that someone entertained the thought that we should have fired KO after he just won the NC is just plain scary. Has to be a misprint.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That’s a classic take. As if Hurley, born and raised and played and coached in NJ, doesn’t know as well as anyone that winning at Rutgers is as close to impossible as it gets.

Reaction Score
I disagreed that all p5s are better. But if you have P5 resources and your dead weight is gone, it really depends how you feel about the players staying on a competing roster.
But it also depends on how enticing that Pitt job is. It was a pretty meh to actively bad team from the 1980s-late 1990s (tournament appearances but no S16s in the 1980s and very early 1990s). Its glory days in the BE lasted about 12 years, during which the pinnacle of their greatness was 1 Elite 8 and 3 other S16s. It has been a decade since they've made the second weekend. The ACC has a number of schools definitively better than them, both currently and historically (Duke, UNC, NCState, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia).

Filling your roster with JuCos and the 1 Top-100 kid you recruited isn't all that appealing, and digging out of the basement of the conference is going to be brutal.

That said, some people like the challenge.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Let's not forget someone who claims to have journalistic credibility said Kevin Ollie should be replaced by nobody and UConn basketball should downgrade to Division 3.

I know that wasn't a Boneyard take, but we should admire that those string of words formulated in someone's brain, and that they spent time expressing those thoughts in the form of an article on the internet.

That was in the original draft:

We should replace KO with "nobody" (Cat Lady Writer)

the Q

Reaction Score
That was in the original draft:

We should replace KO with "nobody" (Cat Lady Writer)

That should probably win by default because even becoming D3 requires hiring a new coach to replace Ollie.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I held out until they lost number 9.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I could see someone liking the opportunity of a total rebuild. Maybe not most. maybe not Hurley but I could see that being attractive to someone.

Reaction Score
Take it from me, someone that has watched just about every Georgetown Hoyas game since 1989, we do NOT was JT3! He's actually a pretty awful coach, with a pretty awful system that no guard wants to come over and play. I rather hire Coach Norman Dale....

Seriously how can we get Jay Wright here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom