Boneyard consensus on every player in UConn history, by grade | The Boneyard

Boneyard consensus on every player in UConn history, by grade

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The schedule below is how the Boneyard typically reacts to every UConn player over their course for their career here, by grade:

A) Recruit - This player will be awesome. The recruit will be better than (pick one of: Kemba/Bazz/Ray/Rip/Meka/other 20+ UConn NBA players)

B) Freshman - Why isn't the Coach starting the freshman? He is better than the upperclassmen.

C) Sophomore - (when the player has not become an overnight star and is still learning the game) He sucks. Coach has to recruit over this stiff.

D) Junior - (start of year) why is he still here? (end of year) He is OK and can give us some decent minutes.

E) Senior - (by end of final season) We are really going to miss him.

That is the arc of Boneyard opinion of about 80% of the 4 year players that have come through UConn over the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
The schedule below is how the Boneyard typically reacts to every UConn player over their course for their career here, by grade:

A) Recruit - This player will be awesome. The recruit will be better than (pick one of: Kemba/Bazz/Ray/Rip/Meka/other 20+ UConn NBA players)

B) Freshman - Why isn't the Coach starting the freshman? He is better than the upperclassmen.

C) Sophomore - (when the player has not become an overnight star and is still learning the game) He sucks. Coach has to recruit over this stiff.

D) Junior - (start of year) why is he still here? (end of year) He is OK and can give us some decent minutes.

That is the arc of Boneyard opinion of about 80% of the 4 year players that have come through UConn over the last 20 years.
Step B is happening right now with Jackson.

Reaction Score
Step C is happening with Brendan Adams right now by Nelson (and everyone else including me)
In particular, the second sentence. After his minutes go to approximately zero when everyone returns. And we all realize we got what we got out of dude who should barely be getting any pt at all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The thing I don't understand is that the fans are usually right about playing the better young players... this holds true with Bouk over Polley/Adams last year, Gaffney over Gilbert, Sanogo over Carlton, Jackson (seemingly) over Adams. These are all examples from just 2 years of recruiting. Whaley is the exception to this rule, and nobody at all thought he would become a good rotational player, including you I'd bet.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Although technically inclusive by today’s liberal standards, lumping our players into these vast generalized stereotypes is pretty bad.

Reaction Score

F) Josh Carlton. Exhibiting unwarranted hate or adoration of an irrational nature irrespective of the players performance or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
The thing I don't understand is that the fans are usually right about playing the better young players... this holds true with Bouk over Polley/Adams last year, Gaffney over Gilbert, Sanogo over Carlton, Jackson (seemingly) over Adams. These are all examples from just 2 years of recruiting. Whaley is the exception to this rule, and nobody at all thought he would become a good rotational player, including you I'd bet.
I think Hurley is still getting used to having elite talent at this level. At least he's now talking about how Jackson along with Bouknight will make us a much different team, I have to imagine Jackson will be starting or getting a ton of minutes from now on and Adams will be relegated to a much smaller role. He's also mentioned he envisions Jordan Hawkins stepping into the starting lineup right away next season.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Of course, this only holds true when your recruiting is on a major upswing

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is still getting used to having elite talent at this level. At least he's now talking about how Jackson along with Bouknight will make us a much different team, I have to imagine Jackson will be starting or getting a ton of minutes from now on and Adams will be relegated to a much smaller role. He's also mentioned he envisions Jordan Hawkins stepping into the starting lineup right away next season.
There's definitely an adjustment period that Hurley is hopefully almost through. If he starts Jackson next game, that would be a huge step.

And for Nelson's sake, it's very possible Jackson isn't going to be great in his third(?) game of his career, but we can all see that moving forward with the less talented upperclassman, in this case, is not the better option. Just like letting Sanogo play over Carlton was the right decision.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
There's definitely an adjustment period that Hurley is hopefully almost through. If he starts Jackson next game, that would be a huge step.
Would love to see this.

Reaction Score
I think playing him out of position is killing his offensive output. He's better in the dunker spot, he shouldn't be "spacing" the floor for the majority of his minutes as the 4.
It's not shocking that Whaley is playing more minutes at the 4 and all of a sudden he's struggling. Some people saw this coming miles away and said it all off-season

Reaction Score

Sometimes.

Sometimes the player who wasn't ready to play is much when fans were clamoring for them shows improvement in their opportunities and in practice and earns more minutes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's not shocking that Whaley is playing more minutes at the 4 and all of a sudden he's struggling. Some people saw this coming miles away and said it all off-season

The more minutes the guards play, the more likely we are to lose, if we are playing decent competition.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Younger players are better than older players in college. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Step C is happening with Brendan Adams right now by Nelson (and everyone else including me)

My issue has been playing Adams over upper class bigs. I would like to see more Polley and Carlton, less Adams.

Reaction Score
My issue has been playing Adams over upper class bigs. I would like to see more Polley and Carlton, less Adams.
Disagree on Carlton but at this point I'll take anyone playing over Adams

Reaction Score
He’s best on offense when he’s close to the basket, getting “energy” plays. Dunks & such. Now w/ Adama eating up that space, he doesn’t get energy plays on O & it seems to effect his overall gMe

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think playing him out of position is killing his offensive output. He's better in the dunker spot, he shouldn't be "spacing" the floor for the majority of his minutes as the 4.
I'm with you but I'm torn. I mean who doesn't love the point-forward concept?

See the OG Point forward below. Paul Pressey aka the "RubberMan".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m very much enjoying Sanogo taking nearly all of Carlton’s minutes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange