BoJack Horseman | The Boneyard

BoJack Horseman

Reaction Score
Amazing show been watching it from the beginning and season 3 is about to be released on Friday.

Honestly I think this could be the best animated show out there right now. (Bob's Burgers amazing)

Reaction Score
Amazing show been watching it from the beginning and season 3 is about to be released on Friday.

Honestly I think this could be the best animated show out there right now. (Bob's Burgers amazing)
I can't believe there isn't more discussion of this. I've been a big fan of this show from about half-way through Season 1. It's funny and real in a way few other shows are.

Season 2 was genius; Season 3 was very good, too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife and I love Bob's. We'll look for this.

Reaction Score
My wife and I love Bob's. We'll look for this.
It's much much darker than Bob's (a show I also like). And season 1 takes a few episodes before you can get past the "Bojack is an antihero" semi-cliche and into the authenticity the show has in dealing with depression, longing, disconnection.

What's amazing is that despite it tackling such serious topics, it is both funny, clever, silly, and never preachy.

Where is this show located?
It's a Netflix show.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
BoJack is the only currently running show that makes me drop everything the first three days after a season is released. Truly an outstanding piece of television. I'm interested as to where things will head for Season 4 though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finally got to Bojack. I am only through season 1, which is the weakest season per the reviewers, and it is still excellent.

I am a little worn out on any show or movie about the entertainment industry, which is why I was so slow in getting to Bojack. Bojack's premise of a has-been actor living off his glory years is not that original. It feels a lot like Episodes at times, with a mix of Entourage and the Comeback thrown in, but the writing is so good, and the characters so well written and 3 dimensional, that I can get past the feeling that I have seen this before.

Bojack works because it takes things we have seen before (narcissistic actor that treats people like garbage, hot nerd, desperate agent that will do anything), and adds a lot of depth to the characters, but not too much such that there are easy resolutions. So Bojack is a narcissist that also has feelings and occasionally wants to do the right thing, but at his core, he may just be a -hole. Princess Carolyn is incredibly mercenary, but she is also aware of her own choices. Diane is not just the hot nerd, and actually does some pretty awful things. Mr. Peanut Butter is an idiot, but he also has a survival instinct that makes him dangerous. The best part of it is that the writers show you rather than tell you with a lot of exposition.

This show could have been utterly forgettable, but it is so well written that it is definitely worth watching, and one of the better comedies on TV.

Reaction Score
Finally got to Bojack. I am only through season 1, which is the weakest season per the reviewers, and it is still excellent.

I am a little worn out on any show or movie about the entertainment industry, which is why I was so slow in getting to Bojack. Bojack's premise of a has-been actor living off his glory years is not that original. It feels a lot like Episodes at times, with a mix of Entourage and the Comeback thrown in, but the writing is so good, and the characters so well written and 3 dimensional, that I can get past the feeling that I have seen this before.

Bojack works because it takes things we have seen before (narcissistic actor that treats people like garbage, hot nerd, desperate agent that will do anything), and adds a lot of depth to the characters, but not too much such that there are easy resolutions. So Bojack is a narcissist that also has feelings and occasionally wants to do the right thing, but at his core, he may just be a -hole. Princess Carolyn is incredibly mercenary, but she is also aware of her own choices. Diane is not just the hot nerd, and actually does some pretty awful things. Mr. Peanut Butter is an idiot, but he also has a survival instinct that makes him dangerous. The best part of it is that the writers show you rather than tell you with a lot of exposition.

This show could have been utterly forgettable, but it is so well written that it is definitely worth watching, and one of the better comedies on TV.
What's crazy is, to me, the show just keeps getting better by finding new depths to these characters. While there are new characters in new seasons, the show never stops revolving around those four (and Todd). It's impressive that I never tire of them.

As it goes forward, it gets more adventurous with its themes, animation, plot, etc. It keeps plunging into the things that make us unhappy or accidentally (but negligently so) bad people. I really love this show.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is one of my favorite shows. Hilarious, brooding, complex. It’s interesting that these animal-people hybrid characters are maybe the most“real” characters right now.

Reaction Score
Anyone caught up on the new season?

Season 4 is fantastic. I've been so busy I haven't really been able to binge season 5. There are some highs (the eulogy episode), and some good characters, but I don't know. I haven't finished it yet (though I will in the next day or two), but I don't know if it lives up to the older seasons.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Anyone caught up on the new season?

Season 4 is fantastic. I've been so busy I haven't really been able to binge season 5. There are some highs (the eulogy episode), and some good characters, but I don't know. I haven't finished it yet (though I will in the next day or two), but I don't know if it lives up to the older seasons.

5 is incredibly dark, but in my opinion still compares to any other season quality-wise.

Reaction Score
5 is incredibly dark, but in my opinion still compares to any other season quality-wise.
I have one episode left. I love the characters, but I wonder if it is too Bojack heavy. I feel like they have neglected other characters. And it is so dark...I mean, I respect that (and Henry Fondle is the funniest thing pretty much ever, period), but I feel like one of the characters should get a win.

I'm also posting this after watching the incredibly depressing (wonderfully done, though) penultimate episode that just left me feeling like they keep beating this living horse. I get why they do it, I'm really hoping for a win for a major character in the finale. Not for BoJack, but give me something for Princess Caroline or Mr. Peanutbutter.

This season hasn't felt as ensemble-y as usual.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I have one episode left. I love the characters, but I wonder if it is too Bojack heavy. I feel like they have neglected other characters. And it is so dark...I mean, I respect that (and Henry Fondle is the funniest thing pretty much ever, period), but I feel like one of the characters should get a win.

I'm also posting this after watching the incredibly depressing (wonderfully done, though) penultimate episode that just left me feeling like they keep beating this living horse. I get why they do it, I'm really hoping for a win for a major character in the finale. Not for BoJack, but give me something for Princess Caroline or Mr. Peanutbutter.

This season hasn't felt as ensemble-y as usual.

It's funny you mention the lack of "ensemble" feeling - I felt the same way about S4 while BoJack was out of town.

I feel the same way about wanting things to work out for some of the main characters. At the same time, I think the writers wouldn't be sticking true to the world they've created if they didn't drag BoJack through every circle of hell and back before giving him his win, which I find applies to the other characters on a much lower scale. IMO it's precisely that refusal to hand out wins that's given them the material to sustain the show; if things are resolved well, what is there to watch?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
For some reason I go into every season thinking “haha nice new Bojack let’s get silly!” Then I just kicked in the balls repeatedly. Season 5 was still very good but you’re right. I care a lot about these characters and they just keep getting beaten up. Maybe I should have waited until after football season when something else I care so much about just keeps getting crushed.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
For some reason I go into every season thinking “haha nice new Bojack let’s get silly!” Then I just kicked in the balls repeatedly. Season 5 was still very good but you’re right. I care a lot about these characters and they just keep getting beaten up. Maybe I should have waited until after football season when something else I care so much about just keeps getting crushed.

Bob Diaco is Mr. Peanutbutter

Reaction Score
There were enough wins in the final episode to make the season work for me. The ending was really touching, though not uncomplicated.

There was more putting us through the ringer this season, and fewer laughs, but the final 5-10 minutes made the season really worth it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I agree. I love this show, but I pace myself. It is not an easy show to binge watch.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

As for the characters getting a win...one of the main themes of the show is that being a better person is about being better each and every day. Bojack talks about how on TV, scalitohole characters always redeem themselves with one grand gesture that shows everyone that they're really a great person deep down...but that's not real. What is real is being there and being better every single day, and that you can't make up for a month of crappy behavior by buying your kid that comic book they really want. It's really, really hard...so I don't see this as the type of show to give the characters big wins. A bunch of consecutive, small wins are the best Bojack is ever going to get, and eventually, everything will be better because of that cumulative effect.

That being said, maybe my favorite moment of the series was the end of season 4; that felt like a pretty big win...but then again, it all seems to have gone down the drain since. The show proving once again that it's about applying yourself every single day.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think the clear “winner” in this season is PC. BoJack hopefully “wins” but that remains to be seen. Diane, Todd, Mr Peanut Butter are all pretty much effed though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom