Boise State being discussed | The Boneyard

Boise State being discussed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey if you're going to add a team from Colorado, why not a team from Idaho? Idaho is East of California so it isn't a stretch to add them to the BIG East.

Their computations will help keep the BCS bid, im all for it.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
This is great news if true. If Air Force, Boise St, Navy, Houston/SMU, UCF, and Temple are added, the ACC raid of the Big East would actually strengthen the Big East in Football instead of weaken it.

If this looks like it might actually happen, look for the ACC to come back and take 2 more teams from the Big East (UConn being one of them) to officially kill off the Big East in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Well, for it to materialize, the remaining schools are going to have to agree to higher exit fee as waylon has been saying. There is going to be no way around it. I think if they agreed to double it or even triple it, UConn, RU etc. Would agree to it, and if an offer came along from another conference you pay the higher exit fee as the cost of doing business.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is not far off from my east/west proposal. I would do 8 and 8 for a bunch of reasons, and do it in pods.

Western Pod: Boise, Nevada, Fresno, SDSU
Central: Air Force, New Mexico, Houston, SMU

MidWest: Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, USF
Northeast: Rutgers, UConn, Temple, Navy

Play your own pod every year, play the adjacent pod 3 times, play each of the other pods once.

For hoops, Temple for all sports and Butler for hoops only.

The BCS bid is rock solid in this situation, because we have eliminated all the competition for a bid. We would basically have no shot at ever getting it, but that ship sailed with the collapse of the Big East. The 8 western teams would be their own hoops league, and there would only be 1 trip west each year for the eastern schools, and vice versa.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, for it to materialize, the remaining schools are going to have to agree to higher exit fee as waylon has been saying. There is going to be no way around it. I think if they agreed to double it or even triple it, UConn, RU etc. Would agree to it, and if an offer came along from another conference you pay the higher exit fee as the cost of doing business.

And the fact you are about to sign it smokes out any legitimate interest.

Reaction Score
And the fact you are about to sign it smokes out any legitimate interest.
It just cannot be something crazy like signing away your future tv revenue from another conference. That would be a deal breaker to all the schools I think.

Its time to buckle down. Now that TCU is officially or damn close to officially not coming, we have to build this football conference and kick the acc's ass on the field.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The Big Yeast
-big east/mwc/wcc teams that are in split from where they are now
-we get our contract with comcast

east-uconn/ruty/wvu/ecu/cincy/lville/usf/ucf
west-bosie/nevada/fresno/sdsu//smu/uh/tcu
e-gtown/nova
w-gonzaga/unlv
bball onlys^. in fball you play your div plus one from another division(a fake rival game of sorts). each division winner(conf record-bcs ranking tie break) goes to the ship game. ship game is a home game for highest bcs # team. winner goes to bcs game. in bball this conf makes a shiitload of sense. the bball onlys basically make the conf 2 seperate ones and those teams added do bring value$$$tv wise. they will jump at the $$$. in bball you play everyone in your division twice(h/a) = 18 game schedule. end of story. top 16 make the BYT in phili/texas rotational per year or something....this is a good enough bball conf and keep regional and travel minds happy.

Reaction Score
Thamel basically squashed the idea, saying few ADs support it and the chances of it happening are slim to none.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is not far off from my east/west proposal. I would do 8 and 8 for a bunch of reasons, and do it in pods.

Western Pod: Boise, Nevada, Fresno, SDSU
Central: Air Force, New Mexico, Houston, SMU

MidWest: Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, USF
Northeast: Rutgers, UConn, Temple, Navy

Play your own pod every year, play the adjacent pod 3 times, play each of the other pods once.

For hoops, Temple for all sports and Butler for hoops only.

The BCS bid is rock solid in this situation, because we have eliminated all the competition for a bid. We would basically have no shot at ever getting it, but that ship sailed with the collapse of the Big East. The 8 western teams would be their own hoops league, and there would only be 1 trip west each year for the eastern schools, and vice versa.
Do I understand things correctly. All the new proposed teams in the above example are for football only except Temple which is for all sports.

And the football BE schools stay with the bb only BE schools in all other sports, adding Temple for all sports and Butler for Basketball only?

Reaction Score
Do we get to wear our blue uni's playing on the blue field???

Reaction Score
If the BE is going to invite all these football only members, might as well change the conference name to the All-American Conference. Might be a good marketing and branding exercise as the term 'Big Least' will fade and the conference could always add/lose members without tons of ridicule as it would be very clear that the conference is basically an alliance of non-'big 5' conference schools.

Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do I understand things correctly. All the new proposed teams in the above example are for football only except Temple which is for all sports.

And the football BE schools stay with the bb only BE schools in all other sports, adding Temple for all sports and Butler for Basketball only?

Yes and yes. The western division would be its own conference for all sports but football.

Reaction Score
This is great news if true. If Air Force, Boise St, Navy, Houston/SMU, UCF, and Temple are added, the ACC raid of the Big East would actually strengthen the Big East in Football instead of weaken it.

If this looks like it might actually happen, look for the ACC to come back and take 2 more teams from the Big East (UConn being one of them) to officially kill off the Big East in the Northeast.
The only thing, I wouldn't want to go to the ACC if we could set up an east west pod system including these schools. I think this type of hybrid conference would be much more exciting, injecting new blood into the system. The proposed "northern" wing of the ACC is going to be boring as heck. Just boring. Do you want to spend the rest of your life watching Uconn play Pitt, BC and Syracuse? No thanks.

The east/west proposals are like Conference USA on steroids. Very exciting ideas being discussed. If the west could include BYU, for football, and the east could take Memphis for all sports (mainly basketball, but they've been good in football in the past), this would be preferable to the ACC for our (Uconn's) purposes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Do you want to spend the rest of your life watching Uconn play Pitt, BC and Syracuse? No thanks.

Uh, yeah? While we're at it, let's switch out Rutgers and Georgetown for Fresno State and Gonzaga too.

Reaction Score
Uh, yeah? While we're at it, let's switch out Rutgers and Georgetown for Fresno State and Gonzaga too.
I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly, but I get your tone of voice so..... There is a new reality descending, and unless we are capable of adapting to it, we become extinct.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes and yes. The western division would be its own conference for all sports but football.
I like this creative idea. It keeps the bb as the number 2 if not number 1 conference (Temple can certainly be on par with Pitt) and it makes a better football conference than before the BE lost Cuse and Pitt. And it keeps travel costs to a minimum.

And my feeling is that people at UConn including Herbst have thought about similar ideas and are weighing it against other options. Something along these lines could develop.

And if it takes place I would not doubt it would be an incubator league for other conferences unless this new hybrid BE conference could get a substantial media contract. If they do than they would need severe penalties for leaving. The problem is the conference will be an experiment so I doubt any of the sports networks will offer a substantial contract from the start. So this new conference, if it comes about, better consider a contract with a lot of upside monies for various accomplishments and viewerships.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Having schools in 3 different time zones would also be desirable for TV as well.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
broncofans2.jpg

Be careful what you wish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics