Boise St to the AAC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boise St to the AAC?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Don’t know why they would move any of what you had listed above to the + as the advertising $$ from those games is critical to ESPN’s operation. But they will continue to add content that makes it worth having the + as part of your streaming subscriptions. Biggest game I can remember was a Big 12 hoops game like a year or two ago with 2 top 15 teams being on +, think it was Baylor and someone.
Yeah, well that is my point. ESPN+ will be positioned as it can be for the short term, a place to dump peripheral product for the super fan and in the process it will narrow rather than expand the audience for said product as the causal fan will just fail to find it as they scroll through their programming guide. And yes, the cable services over time will integrate ESPN+ into their platform so that the scroller is teased by the channel and so over time it will get easier to use. This is all going to play out and under these circumstances circling back to Boise State, do you really need to pay any sort of coin for Boise St as an add to the AAC when the existing AAC deal already gets you a good range of markets and content? Again, the AAC is programming filler (it doesnt move the needle much), there is no other way to view it when ESPN is spending so much more on the SEC, ACC, NBA and NFL. IDK - I'm just saying BoiseSt/to the AAC might not be the slam dunk this question was 10 years ago for ESPN.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Speaking of programming. I vowed to never watch the B1G network....yet I find myself watching their CFB broadcasts frequently and I just might catch a bit of BB this winter. Why? Well for starters its right there in my cable package positioned next to all my other sports channels so its very easy to find.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Yeah, well that is my point. ESPN+ will be positioned as it can be for the short term, a place to dump peripheral product for the super fan and in the process it will narrow rather than expand the audience for said product as the causal fan will just fail to find it as they scroll through their programming guide. And yes, the cable services over time will integrate ESPN+ into their platform so that the scroller is teased by the channel and so over time it will get easier to use. This is all going to play out and under these circumstances circling back to Boise State, do you really need to pay any sort of coin for Boise St as an add to the AAC when the existing AAC deal already gets you a good range of markets and content? Again, the AAC is programming filler (it doesnt move the needle much), there is no other way to view it when ESPN is spending so much more on the SEC, ACC, NBA and NFL. IDK - I'm just saying BoiseSt/to the AAC might not be the slam dunk this question was 10 years ago for ESPN.
Specifically as it relates to Boise- no ESPN doesn't have to pony up anything extra unless there is a pro-rata clause in the new deal. The only reason I'd add a 12th football team if I'm the American is because your waiver to play a title game with 11 ends after this upcoming season in 2021. Assuming that waiver doesn't get extended, they'll have to bring in somebody because I'd imagine the conference title game is an important part of the TV deal.

Adding Boise gives you the West/East splits of:

Boise
Houston
Memphis (Or Tulane)
Navy
SMU
Tulsa

Cincinnati
ECU
Temple
Tulane (or Memphis)
UCF
USF

The other thing is for TV windows... does adding Boise mean any AAC game played there can be used in the 10:30 ESPN/2 slots? Opening another window to have UCF @ Boise, Cinci @ Boise, Memphis @ Boise, etc be played "After Dark" may be interesting for both sides. Also.. does the AAC solely focus on wanting a football only school to add at this point? Or would they be open to the right team joining for all sports?

Another thing... I really don't know what Boise's long term football outlook/potential is. They're sort of stuck in this weird no mans land, they're clearly the king football brand of the MWC but there are no other "brand" type teams to make any of the matchups compelling. If it was similar to the old WAC and TCU/Utah were still there plus BYU in the league then you'd have something... reality is even with a team like SJSU being great and winning the league this year the "branding" for those games stinks. As mentioned above, Boise recruits a TON of guys from California that are on shaky academic grounds and also dips into Texas regularly. What impact would joining the league have on their California recruiting base? And if Boise drops off even to the point where they are competitive but no longer a threat to make a NY6 game, sending teams like ECU, Temple, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, and Cincinnati as far as 2600 miles to Idaho to play an average college football team potentially in the snow with a game ending around 1:30am ET doesn't sound that great.

The other candidates for the 12th member for the AAC that I think are at least somewhat realistic are:

JMU: Great football, ready made stadium, good alumni support, and forms a nice mid-Atlantic group of schools with JMU, Navy, Temple, ECU

Richmond: Same as above, still has solid football but much smaller enrollment/alumni base

App State: Good fan base, great football, tradition of winning, but do you need another small brand school in NC?

Georgia State: Massive enrollment, campus in a large urban metro area of Atlanta fits the existing profile of schools like UH/Cincinnati/Memphis/Tulane/SMU etc. Sports stink for the most part and they have no money or popularity in their own market

UAB: Financial difficulties, decent basketball brand and in a large city but state legislature wants to cut the legs out from under them

Then there's a pile of steaming garbage to choose from like Charlotte, ODU, Louisiana, Middle Tennessee, etc.

BYU football only would be the dream but I don't see them giving up Independence in the future. They saw what a schedule of G5 games did for them in the playoff rankings and its clearly not worth it.

Obviously Boise is a known brand at this stage, but I'd really think twice before adding them if I'm Aresco. There are just so many possible negatives and I don't know that they truly outweigh the positives of bringing the Broncos into the league full time. How many times would Boise State have to win the league and make the NY6 in the next 11 years (when current TV deal ends) to financially justify the Broncos being in the league? Cinci, ECU, Houston, UCF, and USF all have future home and homes with them already. I'd maybe encourage the league to schedule the Broncos in the non-conference and knock them out of the NY6 race on an annual basis, but I don't know if bringing them into the league is the best concept for either side. While Boise wants to align itself with football minded schools, it needs to be careful about losing its existing recruiting base and identity. JMU has proven they can win games and is a much much much better fit geographically than Boise. And if you wanted to get back to 12 for hoops you could easily include JMU for all sports to the league.

Reaction Score
Nobody beyond about 10 schools in the whole country move the needle. It is more about content and market. When volume of quality content is appreciated, we’ll be of value.
Content is more important than market. If a school doesn't put an exciting and entertaining product on the field, few will tune-in no matter how large the market.

Reaction Score
Specifically as it relates to Boise- no ESPN doesn't have to pony up anything extra unless there is a pro-rata clause in the new deal. The only reason I'd add a 12th football team if I'm the American is because your waiver to play a title game with 11 ends after this upcoming season in 2021. Assuming that waiver doesn't get extended, they'll have to bring in somebody because I'd imagine the conference title game is an important part of the TV deal.

Adding Boise gives you the West/East splits of:

Boise
Houston
Memphis (Or Tulane)
Navy
SMU
Tulsa

Cincinnati
ECU
Temple
Tulane (or Memphis)
UCF
USF

The other thing is for TV windows... does adding Boise mean any AAC game played there can be used in the 10:30 ESPN/2 slots? Opening another window to have UCF @ Boise, Cinci @ Boise, Memphis @ Boise, etc be played "After Dark" may be interesting for both sides. Also.. does the AAC solely focus on wanting a football only school to add at this point? Or would they be open to the right team joining for all sports?

Another thing... I really don't know what Boise's long term football outlook/potential is. They're sort of stuck in this weird no mans land, they're clearly the king football brand of the MWC but there are no other "brand" type teams to make any of the matchups compelling. If it was similar to the old WAC and TCU/Utah were still there plus BYU in the league then you'd have something... reality is even with a team like SJSU being great and winning the league this year the "branding" for those games stinks. As mentioned above, Boise recruits a TON of guys from California that are on shaky academic grounds and also dips into Texas regularly. What impact would joining the league have on their California recruiting base? And if Boise drops off even to the point where they are competitive but no longer a threat to make a NY6 game, sending teams like ECU, Temple, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, and Cincinnati as far as 2600 miles to Idaho to play an average college football team potentially in the snow with a game ending around 1:30am ET doesn't sound that great.

The other candidates for the 12th member for the AAC that I think are at least somewhat realistic are:

JMU: Great football, ready made stadium, good alumni support, and forms a nice mid-Atlantic group of schools with JMU, Navy, Temple, ECU

Richmond: Same as above, still has solid football but much smaller enrollment/alumni base

App State: Good fan base, great football, tradition of winning, but do you need another small brand school in NC?

Georgia State: Massive enrollment, campus in a large urban metro area of Atlanta fits the existing profile of schools like UH/Cincinnati/Memphis/Tulane/SMU etc. Sports stink for the most part and they have no money or popularity in their own market

UAB: Financial difficulties, decent basketball brand and in a large city but state legislature wants to cut the legs out from under them

Then there's a pile of steaming garbage to choose from like Charlotte, ODU, Louisiana, Middle Tennessee, etc.

BYU football only would be the dream but I don't see them giving up Independence in the future. They saw what a schedule of G5 games did for them in the playoff rankings and its clearly not worth it.

Obviously Boise is a known brand at this stage, but I'd really think twice before adding them if I'm Aresco. There are just so many possible negatives and I don't know that they truly outweigh the positives of bringing the Broncos into the league full time. How many times would Boise State have to win the league and make the NY6 in the next 11 years (when current TV deal ends) to financially justify the Broncos being in the league? Cinci, ECU, Houston, UCF, and USF all have future home and homes with them already. I'd maybe encourage the league to schedule the Broncos in the non-conference and knock them out of the NY6 race on an annual basis, but I don't know if bringing them into the league is the best concept for either side. While Boise wants to align itself with football minded schools, it needs to be careful about losing its existing recruiting base and identity. JMU has proven they can win games and is a much much much better fit geographically than Boise. And if you wanted to get back to 12 for hoops you could easily include JMU for all sports to the league.
You seriously forgot Buffalo and Coastal Carolina? CCU might have been a better choice than ECU. Timing has worked against the AAC.

Drew

Reaction Score
You seriously forgot Buffalo and Coastal Carolina? CCU might have been a better choice than ECU. Timing has worked against the AAC.
CCU was not even remotely a better option when the American was adding teams. CCU became FBS in 2016.

Reaction Score
CCU was not even remotely a better option when the American was adding teams. CCU became FBS in 2016.
And you think JMU, Richmond, Appalachian State, Georgia State, etc, were ever mentioned by anyone when they were? Appalachian State went FBS in 2014.

God have mercy.

Drew

Reaction Score
And you think JMU, Richmond, Appalachian State, Georgia State, etc, were ever mentioned by anyone when they were? Appalachian State went FBS in 2014.

God have mercy.
I nominated those names as other candidates for today, 2020. You said CCU “might have been a better choice than ECU” who was added in 2014. Seems like two pretty unique and distinct circumstances and discussions

Reaction Score
I nominated those names as other candidates for today, 2020. You said CCU “might have been a better choice than ECU” who was added in 2014. Seems like two pretty unique and distinct circumstances and discussions
I still meant the same context as you. Thank you very much.

Reaction Score
Buffalo would make the most sense if the AAC were adding an all-sports member. But if they were to add Boise State, I could see them adding VCU as an olympic sports member to balance the league.

Reaction Score
If the conference you're in pays a pittance in TV rights, what's the point? You can no longer argue scheduling games as the answer to that question.

Reaction Score
The SEC and Big Ten are actually still intent on expansion.... It's obvious, no one hides it or denies it. Besides fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom