Boise not coming?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boise not coming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm sure Boise is holding out for an all sport invite as well. I would hope the BE has done their math to see whether adding an all sports west division wouldn't be additive to any contract with just fb only's out west (well west of Texas)...
It would certainly seem to create a more cohesive conference as a whole.

Boise is not holding out for an all-sports invitation, because that doesn't make sense at all. The last thing they would want to do is take their excess BE revenue and throw it away by sending their volleyball team to Tampa and their baseball team to Storrs! The only thing (in my humble opinion) that is holding this up is landing the Olympic sports in the Big West. I am surprised that SDSU hasn't been able to strong-arm that new conference into getting BSU in, since the Big West has to know that they need SDSU's Olympic sports more than anything else they have. I guess we'll see by Friday....

Reaction Score
Boise is not holding out for an all-sports invitation, because that doesn't make sense at all. The last thing they would want to do is take their excess BE revenue and throw it away by sending their volleyball team to Tampa and their baseball team to Storrs! The only thing (in my humble opinion) that is holding this up is landing the Olympic sports in the Big West. I am surprised that SDSU hasn't been able to strong-arm that new conference into getting BSU in, since the Big West has to know that they need SDSU's Olympic sports more than anything else they have. I guess we'll see by Friday....

I would agree that having Boise travel across country for all their conference games would be cost prohibitive. But, a Western Division as my post suggested, would mean Boise would travel to SDSU, SMU, Houston, and whoever else comprises the western division (BYU, Air Force, Tulsa, Fresno, UNLV, etc)... Sure you'd have the occassional cross divisional matchup between an east and west team, but just about every major D1 sport has some cross country matchups. Not like the Big West is right next door. Isn't the majority of the schools in southern CA?
All in, don't see travel as a major stumbling block. And if the BE did come to Boise with an all-sport offer that had the makings of a true western division for all sports, they would be in. The additional payout for all sports would more than cover the added travel cost.

Realistically, the BE isn't going to add any additional schools to make a western all sport division in the next couple days, but to your point, we'll hopefully know more on Friday.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I said this before somewhere but I will say it again:

Boise and SDSU need a home for their non-football sports. The Big West will kill SDSU's basketball program.

The Big East will have to add another team for football at some point to balance the two divisions. Still scheduling for 14 is brutal. Why doesn't the Big East just add 2 more western football schools, and let the 5 western football schools form a new conference out west with Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Long Beach or whoever?

Non football: SDSU, Boise, BYU, AFA, Nevada, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Long Beach State

For football, the BE could do 4 4-team pods, which would simplify scheduling dramatically. The western schools would get a viable platform for their non-football sports, and could even negotiate a TV deal in partnership with the BE, while the Eastern schools would be able to maintain normalcy for the hoops conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I would agree that having Boise travel across country for all their conference games would be cost prohibitive. But, a Western Division as my post suggested, would mean Boise would travel to SDSU, SMU, Houston, and whoever else comprises the western division (BYU, Air Force, Tulsa, Fresno, UNLV, etc)... Sure you'd have the occassional cross divisional matchup between an east and west team, but just about every major D1 sport has some cross country matchups. Not like the Big West is right next door. Isn't the majority of the schools in southern CA?
All in, don't see travel as a major stumbling block. And if the BE did come to Boise with an all-sport offer that had the makings of a true western division for all sports, they would be in. The additional payout for all sports would more than cover the added travel cost.

Realistically, the BE isn't going to add any additional schools to make a western all sport division in the next couple days, but to your point, we'll hopefully know more on Friday.

Well, you have already pre-empted my next comment, which is to say that there is no way we add Fresno, UNLV, Tulsa, , and BYU in the next two days. But I'll go one step further; take and BYU out of the equation for a second. Adding the other teams will certainly not add to our profile or prestige, and they likely won't add to our tv deal. In other words, we would be diluting our payment per team simply by adding them.

The best scenario for Boise is the Big West, which has the majority of its teams in California. SDSU is the key to this, in my mind. The Big West knows that SDSU is the biggest name by far in their league. They also know that SDSU walks away from the Big East and back into the MW for all sports if Boise isn't on board (we actually have something written in to the contract where they need Boise to come with). So I think the Big West will cave in.....at the very last minute....whether Hawaii wants them to or not!

Reaction Score
At the risk of being lumped in with Observer, I heard part of an interview between Fienbaum and Tim Brando of CBS today. For what it is worth Brando said he did not expect to see either BSU or SDSU play a single down in the NBE. Reason is that they will realize the pot of gold is not as large as expected. Expected NBE to breakdown with UConn and RU "eventually" going to the ACC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
At the risk of being lumped in with Observer, I heard part of an interview between Fienbaum and Tim Brando of CBS today. For what it is worth Brando said he did not expect to see either BSU or SDSU play a single down in the NBE. Reason is that they will realize the pot of gold is not as large as expected. Expected NBE to breakdown with UConn and RU "eventually" going to the ACC.

Not killing the messenger here as I know you're just reporting what you heard.

That being said, if the pot of gold for the Big East isn't as large as they expected, what the hell do they think the Mtn West is going to receive?

Regardless of how good or bad people think the NNBE tv deal is going to be, the Mtn West's deal won't even be in the same stratosphere.

People have likened the Boise State situation with TCU, but they couldn't be anymore different.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I could live with that. At this point I don't know how much upside there really is to adding Boise and SDSU. A BE team will have to go undefeated and play a great OOC to make the playoffs no matter what, whatever cache the Broncos might bring.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I could live with that. At this point I don't know how much upside there really is to adding Boise and SDSU. A BE team will have to go undefeated and play a great OOC to make the playoffs no matter what, whatever cache the Broncos might bring.

We need the Broncos for instant credibility and extra strength (be it perceived or real) for the conference schedules of the Big East teams. I'm hoping that the two schools can make the Big West happen for Boise's Olympic sports fast. I hate waiting until the 11th hour...

Reaction Score
So we don't trust ESPN/Disney... do we trust public radio (actually Boise State's radio station) and the Idaho Statesman? Is there libburul media bias in the reddest of red states?

Boise State Football's Move to Big East Still Likely

For some reason I suspect Boise will join. This is pure sentiment on my part, but people out west seem tend to stick to things when they give their word. There are still places where that sort of thing still means something. I could end up eating my words, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Today is the last day for Boise to inform the Mountain West that they're leaving without incurring a hefty exit penalty. The clock is ticking.

Reaction Score
here is the best follow on twitter:
https://twitter.com/murphsturph

Seems like no word has been issued but rumors are that Boise is staying in MWC since not other school in the conferecne has yet been informed. his last tweet says Boise has not informed anyone in the conference it is staying

Reaction Score
As expected, Boise gave MWC notice they are leaving. People that made up fake news saying Boise is staying in the MWC last few weeks are just rumor mongers trying to get viewers. There was no truth in it at all. Of course, our resident ACC troll jumped on it right away since it is potentially bad news for the BE even though there is no truth in it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
As expected, Boise gave MWC notice they are leaving. People that made up fake news saying Boise is staying in the MWC last few weeks are just rumor mongers trying to get viewers. There was no truth in it at all. Of course, our resident ACC troll jumped on it right away since it is potentially bad news for the BE even though there is no truth in it.

At risk of sounding like I am defending Observer, let's keep in mind that the CBS affiliate in Las Vegas went on the air last night and, citing "inside sources," said that Boise was staying in the Mountain West:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/6/30/3129110/las-vegas-cbs-klas-channel-boise-state-big-east

For those who don't think that mainstream media outlets pay attention (wrongfully so) to what is being said around chatboards, here is a shining example of the fact that the 4th Estate is broken. Almost immediately after hearing that KLAS was saying this, the Boise beatwriter (their version of Dez) Murphy said that it wasn't true. It ended up causing some fun "journalism" last night in the 11th hour.

That couldn't have all been caused by Observer! ;)

Reaction Score
One of the things I'm getting tired of is hearing all this talk about how Observer isn't such a bad guy, he's just a little strange, etc. Let's not forget that, as UConn fans, it's important that we stick together and not cozy up to the likes of Observer. Observer is one of the worst posters in the history of the Internet. Post after post of nonsense. I don't think I see anything that's changed just because of the Boise State fiasco. Observer is just as dumb as he's ever been. My understanding is that he's a Syracuse fan. I sure wish he'd go back to his own board and stay there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One of the things I'm getting tired of is hearing all this talk about how Observer isn't such a bad guy, he's just a little strange, etc. Let's not forget that, as UConn fans, it's important that we stick together and not cozy up to the likes of Observer. Observer is one of the worst posters in the history of the Internet. Post after post of nonsense. I don't think I see anything that's changed just because of the Boise State fiasco. Observer is just as dumb as he's ever been. My understanding is that he's a Syracuse fan. I sure wish he'd go back to his own board and stay there.

Have you looked at Syracuse's roster and schedule? I am confident we will not see much of Observer once the season starts. 1-11 seasons have a way of shutting down the trash talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom