Boeing Brown | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boeing Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NH Register lists about 25 QB's that were either on the 1st 3 teams plus honorable mention. I know little of Brown, but it's very curious that he wasn't listed even in honorable mention.
I know these all state things can be a popularity contest. But, if 1 coach voted for Brown he would have at least made honorable mention.
Apparently, not even 1 coach within his conference voted for him. But, yet he shines at these combines. Something is not right here. Having never seen him play I have no idea if he's either drastically overrated by some. Or, a misjustice is being done to him by others.
Time will tell.
But I believe he made it as a sophomore when he had the Kelly kid to throw to. His numbers were not inspiring, but everyone comes from a different system.
I hope Boeing lands at the airstrip.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The NH Register lists about 25 QB's that were either on the 1st 3 teams plus honorable mention. I know little of Brown, but it's very curious that he wasn't listed even in honorable mention.
I know these all state things can be a popularity contest. But, if 1 coach voted for Brown he would have at least made honorable mention.
Apparently, not even 1 coach within his conference voted for him. But, yet he shines at these combines. Something is not right here. Having never seen him play I have no idea if he's either drastically overrated by some. Or, a misjustice is being done to him by others.
Time will tell.

Brookfield throws the ball like 10 times a game. The system is NOT QB friendly and he has very little talent around him.

Reaction Score
Brookfield throws the ball like 10 times a game. The system is NOT QB friendly and he has very little talent around him.
If that's the case perhaps the Brown family should get him into either a prep school or a Catholic school for his senior year.

Reaction Score
Brookfield averaged about 18 passes a game. They ran the ball around 30 times a game.

Reaction Score
I hope Boeing comes to UConn or lands at another big time program and excels. I'd love him to be an All American wherever he lands. But talent evaluation is a crapshoot at best and projecting ultimate success is even tougher. Ron Powlus and Kwame Brown were selected by supposed experts in their fields after years of intense observation. Jeremy Lin is the latest incarnation from the opposite perspective. No one saw his talent as recently as this year! Watch "Moneyball" for an insight into how many players are scrutinized and evaluated and then surprise the experts.
Good luck Boeing.

Reaction Score
If that's the case perhaps the Brown family should get him into either a prep school or a Catholic school for his senior year.

I'm confused. They should do that so people on this board will stop speaking poorly of him? Or because it will help him get offers? Because it doesn't appear as if the family is worried about the latter.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Brookfield averaged about 18 passes a game. They ran the ball around 30 times a game.

They averaged 18 per game, threw it 15 times or fewer in more than half their games.
Weston - 6 of 11 passing
ND Catholic - 7 of 12 passing
New Fairfield - 9 of 15 passing
Oxford - 5 of 12 passing
New Milford - 1 of 4 passing
Immaculate - 6 of 12 passing

Not exactly a great offense for a QB to shine in.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
They averaged 18 per game, threw it 15 times or fewer in more than half their games.
Weston - 6 of 11 passing
ND Catholic - 7 of 12 passing
New Fairfield - 9 of 15 passing
Oxford - 5 of 12 passing
New Milford - 1 of 4 passing
Immaculate - 6 of 12 passing

BB's system is not as important as his QB skills at this point.

A few years back there was a kid that threw it less than that - and his HC was his dad. You'd think Dad would at least let his own son shine at QB, but no dice, he stuck with his run-first offense.

Despite that, the kid still got a D1 scholly and did okay as a QB. Made the league and had a decent pro career. Wore No. 4, I believe...

Reaction Score

A few years back there was a kid that threw it less than that - and his HC was his dad. You'd think Dad would at least let his own son shine at QB, but no dice, he stuck with his run-first offense.

Despite that, the kid still got a D1 scholly and did okay as a QB. Made the league and had a decent pro career. Wore No. 4, I believe...

I was just going to write about that exact player. This is high school football, you cannot choose your teammates. In todays game, however, there are a ton of avenues to show your ability. Specifically, camps. And this is where coaches can watch you perform with similar talent. It why I was always happy when a player accepted a Coach Edsall after right after a camp.

From what I have read, Boeing has done well at these camps. I chuckle when people mention that he wasn't even an honorable mention all state. The horror! Stats don't tell the whole story in high school ball, but stats do garner you all conference mention in high school.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. They should do that so people on this board will stop speaking poorly of him? Or because it will help him get offers? Because it doesn't appear as if the family is worried about the latter.
Well, it's debatable that he has any offers. The CT HS coaches, including those in his league, ignored him. All because his HS supposedly isn't QB friendly.
If so, perhaps another school can help him. Do you really know how his parents feel?

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

I completely agree. Was just pointing out why he may have been overlooked on the NH Register's all-state teams (which are meaningless in determining likely college success anyway). HS QBs are judged on potential only, not stats.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
everyone needs to just chill and trust me on him. im not saying i know for a fact that hes the next dan o or the greatest qb ever to grace this state blah blah. but my recruit info is good. his dad does a great job witht he media if u havn't noticed. he takes every chance for a chat or article but he finishes them all off with "hopping for a offer", pretty smart way to keep pumping the kid. other schools not knowing leads to more of a competition until you release all at one point. dont hate the player, hate the game.

boeing is a good football player who will play for a acc/sec/big team if we don't keep him home, simple as that. brookfield is not a great fball program. plain and simple. they gave us lutrus but lets not get carried away. they play in a league with other small towns that don't have alot to offer. the coach there doesn't ecactly help kids with college recruit stuff like other coaches at bigger/better programs do. the kid has killed it at camps and won mvp awards at them. don't you think that means something? he must be doing something right. everyone just enjoy reading the stuff/articles about him and hope that we offer! PP offered his first round of qbs for 2013 and out of the 5ish of them boeing didn't get a offer. Boyle interestingly enough did. lets see what happens here becuase both are great players i would love to keep home and both have other bcs offers. also when morehead left for fordham, that set us back a bit more than people think.

Reaction Score
Weston (7-3) - 6 of 11 passing
ND Catholic (1-9) - 7 of 12 passing
New Fairfield (3-7) - 9 of 15 passing
Oxford (3-7) - 5 of 12 passing
New Milford (5-5) - 1 of 4 passing
Immaculate (0-10) - 6 of 12 passing

Brookfield was 5-1 in the games you mentioned. Their only loss was to Weston 21-20, on a FG. In the five wins, Brookfield was successful running the ball early in those games, building a 2 or 3 score lead by the half. Four of the five wins were also against the bottom half of the SWC. Brookfield had no wins against teams above .500.

I've brought this up before. If you go back and look (last two seasons) at the games Brown has more then 15 pass attempts, his completion percentage is 50% or below with the exception of the 2011 Bunnell game (17-31, 55%). Furthermore, if you look at each game, he struggles against the top tier SWC teams, teams that bring pressure and/or have an athletic secondary (i.e., Masuk, Pomperaug, Newtown, and New London in the playoffs). He's been given the opportunities, he just hasn't been successful. Brown was 78-169 (46%) for 855 YDs, 4 TDs, and 6 INTs. In those six games, Brookfield was 0-6. Those are the games you use as a barometer. They test your mental and physical ability to perform under pressure. When the running game is not there, can you shoulder the load and will your team to victory? In my opinion, Brown hasn't proven he can do that yet, based on his statistical performances in those spots. Big players show up in big games. Maybe 2012 will be different for Boeing Brown???

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Brookfield was 5-1 in the games you mentioned. Their only loss was to Weston 21-20, on a FG. In the five wins, Brookfield was successful running the ball early in those games, building a 2 or 3 score lead by the half. Four of the five wins were also against the bottom half of the SWC. Brookfield had no wins against teams above .500.

I've brought this up before. If you go back and look (last two seasons) at the games Brown has more then 15 pass attempts, his completion percentage is 50% or below with the exception of the 2011 Bunnell game (17-31, 55%). Furthermore, if you look at each game, he struggles against the top tier SWC teams, teams that bring pressure and/or have an athletic secondary (i.e., Masuk, Pomperaug, Newtown, and New London in the playoffs). He's been given the opportunities, he just hasn't been successful. Brown was 78-169 (46%) for 855 YDs, 4 TDs, and 6 INTs. In those six games, Brookfield was 0-6. Those are the games you use as a barometer. They test your mental and physical ability to perform under pressure. When the running game is not there, can you shoulder the load and will your team to victory? In my opinion, Brown hasn't proven he can do that yet, based on his statistical performances in those spots. Big players show up in big games. Maybe 2012 will be different for Boeing Brown???

Yeah, but they were not a good team this past year. It is hard to put all the blame on a QB when the OL struggles to pass protect or the WRs aren't getting open. I saw more than a few balls he threw hit Rs in the hands for drops. I am just saying you can't really judge a QB completely based on what he does in the Brookfield offense (either because of sscheme or talent).

Reaction Score
Yeah, but they were not a good team this past year. It is hard to put all the blame on a QB when the OL struggles to pass protect or the WRs aren't getting open. I saw more than a few balls he threw hit Rs in the hands for drops. I am just saying you can't really judge a QB completely based on what he does in the Brookfield offense (either because of sscheme or talent).

I don't disagree that they weren't a good team. However, the expectations coming into the season were high for Brookfield. They had a solid nucleus returning, including their starting QB and RB. That alone should win games in that league, regardless of how good or bad the OL was. From Brown's own quotes, he had the ability to call audibles from the LOS based on coverage and alignment. If that's true, it has nothing to do with scheme. It's executing the play. The Brookfield offense was 60-40 run to pass, they're not Ansonia (86-14 run to pass, 555 rushes, 89 passes). Ansonia's offense is not ideal for a QB, yet Elliot Chudwick (QB, Ansonia/Milford Academy) completed 51% (41-81, 818 YDs) of his passes with 13 TDs, and 2 INTs. My point is this...It's not Brown's numbers alone that scare me. It's the fact that he did it against weak competition. Had it been against an SCC-D1, heck even an NVL, schedule I could accept it. There were 5 QBs in the SWC who had better statistical seasons then Brown did. He came into 2011 as arguably the second best QB in the SWC behind Cochran. He finished the season behind two seniors, (Cochran/Masuk, Miller/Oxford), two juniors (Castelot/Bunnell, Shanahan/New Milford) and a sophomore (Tarantino/Newtown). He's not exactly facing D1 competition on a weekly basis, if you catch my drift.

On another note, camps and combines do not simulate game situations. There is no "true" pressure. They are a money maker for those who hold them. It's a visual medium to get a recruit's name out there for all college recruiters to see and put a face to. This is where I give Brown and his representatives a ton of credit. He has been marketed very well using all forms of media to make his name recognizable in the recruiting market and he has the physical tangible to catch their attention. However, at some point he will have to prove his worth on the field, under pressure, against quality competition.

The fact that HCPP offered Tim Boyle (Xavier/Middletown, CT), who wasn't a starter in 2011, and missed five games, speaks volumes. HCPP evaluated Boyle, who was 31-48 (65%) for 716 yards, with 8TDs and 3 INTs, based on his performance against, arguably, the toughest schedule in CTHS Football in 2011, in limited action.

Reaction Score
The fact that HCPP offered Tim Boyle (Xavier/Middletown, CT), who wasn't a starter in 2011, and missed five games, speaks volumes. HCPP evaluated Boyle, who was 31-48 (65%) for 716 yards, with 8TDs and 3 INTs, based on his performance against, arguably, the toughest schedule in CTHS Football in 2011, in limited action.

Speaks volumes how? I just read it as Coach P and staff think Boyle is the better prospect. There is more than 1 BCS program.

I have no idea how good Boyle or Brown are (I have not seen either play to make that judgment. Reading there stats in a newspaper sheds no light on their skills, IMO). I am just pointing out to the Brown detractors that the fact that he is garnering interest from BCS schools, means there are reveal schools that have interest in the kid. A lot of people here acting like he is a NESCAC talent with a great marketing team.

Bottom Line. There appears to be several very good CT kids for 2013. We need to get the right ones. If the best one is Boyle, I want UCONN to get Boyle. If it's Brown, then I want it to be Brown.

Reaction Score
Speaks volumes how? I just read it as Coach P and staff think Boyle is the better prospect. There is more than 1 BCS program.

I have no idea how good Boyle or Brown are (I have not seen either play to make that judgment. Reading there stats in a newspaper sheds no light on their skills, IMO). I am just pointing out to the Brown detractors that the fact that he is garnering interest from BCS schools, means there are reveal schools that have interest in the kid. A lot of people here acting like he is a NESCAC talent with a great marketing team.

Bottom Line. There appears to be several very good CT kids for 2013. We need to get the right ones. If the best one is Boyle, I want UCONN to get Boyle. If it's Brown, then I want it to be Brown.

Just in case people don't know. The reason Boyle wasn't a starter(apart from injury) was the fact that Xavier also had Pat D' Amato who was a senior qb this year and I believe is playing at Stony Brook in college. Xavier had 2 legitimate quarterbacks on the team this year and coach Marinan saw best to split time between the both of them relatively equally. Being a recent Xavier alum I still go to a lot of games and know Boyle is a D1 prospect. Look to this fall for Bolye to have a helluva season now that he will be the full time starter for the team.

Reaction Score
Just in case people don't know. The reason Boyle wasn't a starter(apart from injury) was the fact that Xavier also had Pat D' Amato who was a senior qb this year and I believe is playing at Stony Brook in college. Xavier had 2 legitimate quarterbacks on the team this year and coach Marinan saw best to split time between the both of them relatively equally. Being a recent Xavier alum I still go to a lot of games and know Boyle is a D1 prospect. Look to this fall for Bolye to have a helluva season now that he will be the full time starter for the team.

I don't think anyone questioned that. UCONN staff has already offered I believe.

Reaction Score
I believe they have but I just wanted people to know why Boyle was not a full time starter this past season.

Reaction Score
Tod Boil too slow and kind of clumsy. erratic passer. No other programs should even consider him. I'd be really disappointed if we wasted a scholly on him, or ever mentioned him on another thread. EVER! ;)

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I must say, being a diehard fan of Iowa, PSU, BC, Maryland, Temple, Purdue, Notre Dame, South Carolina, AND Florida, I don't want my beloved coaches wasting any of their time or our scholarships on this group of kids from CT. In fact, let UConn have them. All of them, see if I care.

To the "top" CT prospects, go ahead and sign with UConn. I don't care. Do it. Our programs don't want you, so there. Sign with UConn. I dare you. Right now. I don't care. Sign with them. Do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom