Boeheim settles lawsuit | The Boneyard

Boeheim settles lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ht-bernie-fine-accusers-bobby-davis-mike-lang

The public statement released by his and Syracuse's lawyers, as well as the findings of the court support that the charges were true (also supported by the tape of the Mrs. Fine's phone conversation and the Syracuse Chief of Police's assertion that Bernie Fine would have been charged if the findings had come to light within the statute of limitations and the fact that Bernie was fired). So why isn't Boeheim facing consequences for this?

He was the Head Coach who was in charge while ball boys under his charge were abused, including events that occurred during University funded travel.
He also was the Head Coach when a publicly quiet investigation was conducted by the legal department, while still within the statute of limitations, conveniently found no evidence to support the charges.
Boeheim should be pilloried for this!

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ht-bernie-fine-accusers-bobby-davis-mike-lang

The public statement released by his and Syracuse's lawyers, as well as the findings of the court support that the charges were true (also supported by the tape of the Mrs. Fine's phone conversation and the Syracuse Chief of Police's assertion that Bernie Fine would have been charged if the findings had come to light within the statute of limitations and the fact that Bernie was fired). So why isn't Boeheim facing consequences for this?

He was the Head Coach who was in charge while ball boys under his charge were abused, including events that occurred during University funded travel.
He also was the Head Coach when a publicly quiet investigation was conducted by the legal department, while still within the statute of limitations, conveniently found no evidence to support the charges.
Boeheim should be pilloried for this!

There was a coverup without a doubt at both schools. And a coverup in the press about Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I'm still amazed that ESPN sat on that tape for years, that they sat on the story for years of Syracuse's administration intimidating Davis and threatening him long before this even became a story.

It was clear in the tape that he was pretty young when this stuff was happening to him. In the tape, Laurie Fine mentions putting her baby to bed while Bernie would go into the basement and molest Davis. If you check out their son's age compared to Davis's, it's pretty clear that Davis was only 12 or 13 when this was going on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm still amazed that ESPN sat on that tape for years, that they sat on the story for years of Syracuse's administration intimidating Davis and threatening him long before this even became a story.

Lot of Syracuse grads at ESPN. Zero idea if that had any weight whatsoever but....

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The ironic thing is that in settlement, Davis and Lang essentially prove Boeheim was right in saying they were out for money. If they wanted to use the civil courts as a platform to expose the truths about Fine (a criminal trial was out the window due to statute of limitations) then you could argue they were going after JB to that end. However, since they settled out of court and their case will never be public, essentially money won over their chance to shed public scrutiny on fine.

Reaction Score
The ironic thing is that in settlement, Davis and Lang essentially prove Boeheim was right in saying they were out for money. If they wanted to use the civil courts as a platform to expose the truths about Fine (a criminal trial was out the window due to statute of limitations) then you could argue they were going after JB to that end. However, since they settled out of court and their case will never be public, essentially money won over their chance to shed public scrutiny on fine.

Struggling to figure out how you came to this conclusion.

Boeheim apologizes for calling them liars. Essentially, he is saying he was wrong to call them liars.

As for "the case" never being made public, it has already been made public. I'm not sure what you're referring to. The tapes are public and so are the accusations.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Lot of Syracuse grads at ESPN. Zero idea if that had any weight whatsoever but....
Well it is either SU or the Connecticut School of Broadcasting for ESPN recruits. The former teaches you how to hold a camera steady the latter gives you a more well rounded education.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Struggling to figure out how you came to this conclusion.

Boeheim apologizes for calling them liars. Essentially, he is saying he was wrong to call them liars.

As for "the case" never being made public, it has already been made public. I'm not sure what you're referring to. The tapes are public and so are the accusations.
I think if the case had gone to trial it would have afforded Lang and Davis the opportunity to summon the fines and have them testify. Perhaps even expose the extent of Boehiem's knowledge.

Reaction Score
I think if the case had gone to trial it would have afforded Lang and Davis the opportunity to summon the fines and have them testify. Perhaps even expose the extent of Boehiem's knowledge.

I might be totally ignorant about civil law, but the Fines would not be compelled to testify in such a trial.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I might be totally ignorant about civil law, but the Fines would not be compelled to testify in such a trial.
Well I'm definitely speaking from opinion, I'm no expert either.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

No, they couldn't be compelled to testify against their interest...but failing to do so can be considered by the jury (e.g. to infer guilt) and emphasized by the plaintiff (unlike in a criminal trial where invoking your right again self incriminating cannot be used against you).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure in a civil case, he would have to testify so long as there is no threat of a criminal prosecution.

At least that's what the OJ trial taught me.

Reaction Score
They would be required to testify in a civil case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom