Boeheim Reached Out to Recruit About Postseason Ban | The Boneyard

Boeheim Reached Out to Recruit About Postseason Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The ban will only impact the current players and won’t impact future recruits."

Technically a correct answer. The NCAA ban may well impact new recruits but this ban won't.

Oh by the way, Mr. Battle, you may want to call young Mr. Christmas and see how he feels about his coach right about now.

Reaction Score
Also would be nice to hear a story or two about our conversations with recruits once in a while.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
1. Are we still in on battle? Article didn't list us with the other teams...
2. I hope we go after Richardson again if he decomits. Remember reading he was a lights out shooter, and that would fit great with our team.

Reaction Score
Nothing listed on 2015 recruits. NCAA yet to weigh in...

We shall see.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"The ban will only impact the current players and won’t impact future recruits."

Technically a correct answer. The NCAA ban may well impact new recruits but this ban won't.

Oh by the way, Mr. Battle, you may want to call young Mr. Christmas and see how he feels about his coach right about now.
He is technically correct about the (hopefully applicable) NCAA ban as well. By the strict definition of the terms, recruits don't have to commit. An NCAA ban will only affect future commits. ;)

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
This doesnt make me think he necessarily knows anything about a potential ban for next year. If he was pretty sure they would not be banned again next year wouldn't he be calling the 2015 commits?

Reaction Score

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
uconngb said:
They're gonna get away with it....I'm firmly convinced. Maybe UConn should affiliate with the Connecticut School of Broadcasting so we can get same media-driven treatment. Someone needs to pick up the reins and get up on a soap box here.....dare I say, Jeff Jacobs, where are you??

I'm convinced too. This one year self ban will be accepted and they skate by. It's disgusting.

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder how the hell is Boeheim landing recruits like this when he'll be 72 in 2016. The only other 70+ year old with this recruiting skill is Larry Brown, and we know how that one is going to work out.

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder how the hell is Boeheim landing recruits like this when he'll be 72 in 2016. The only other 70+ year old with this recruiting skill is Larry Brown, and we know how that one is going to work out.

Yes, Syracuse is pretty clearly one of the cheatiest cheater schools out there.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
B1GEast said:
They're not getting away with anything
Meaning what? That the NCAA is still going to hit them?

Or that the self ban is enough punishment in your estimation?

If it's the latter, yes the got away pretty much scot-free.

Reaction Score
My interpretation of what's going on.

2015 ban - absolutely meaningless, innocent players like Xmas punished
2016 ban - program gutted, what they deserve and the only fair thing to do

Reaction Score
Meaning what? That the NCAA is still going to hit them?

Or that the self ban is enough punishment in your estimation?

If it's the latter, yes the got away pretty much scot-free.

The NCAA is in a precarious position with the P5. I wrote this in another post, you can be sure that all of the P5 commissioners, minus Swofford, will be watching to ensure that the NCAA will govern appropriately, the NCAA's hands are tied regarding giving any passes to Syracuse or UNC, they already have egg on their face and they don't need a firestorm of hypocrisy, this will just push the desire for the P5 to govern themselves. Trust me, Emmert will punish Syracuse beyond their phony self imposed ban and then they will throw the book at UNC.

You may see some retro active trash sparing wins for UNC, ala Penn St, but Syracuse doesn't rate as much as UNC, I think they get a year or two, Next year, not this and some ships pulled.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The NCAA is in a precarious position with the P5. I wrote this in another post, you can be sure that all of the P5 commissioners, minus Swofford, will be watching to ensure that the NCAA will govern appropriately, the NCAA's hands are tied regarding giving any passes to Syracuse or UNC, they already have egg on their face and they don't need a firestorm of hypocrisy, this will just push the desire for the P5 to govern themselves. Trust me, Emmert will punish Syracuse beyond their phony self imposed ban and then they will throw the book at UNC.

You may see some retro active trash sparing wins for UNC, ala Penn St, but Syracuse doesn't rate as much as UNC, I think they get a year or two, Next year, not this and some ships pulled.
The way I see it, the threat of the increasing power of the P5 would result in the opposite of what you mentioned. Why would the P5 want the NCAA to come down hard on two of their own. As it is, the P5 are banding together and increasing their power for the sole reason of ridding themselves from countless NCAA rules and regulations that they are forced to follow, their current trajectory points to them wanting to tear down these regulations, not build them up by asking the NCAA to come down on two of their money makers.

pj

Reaction Score

That's one view. The other view is that none of the P5 want any punishments and if the NCAA starts punishing P5 schools, they will seek autonomy to get out from under NCAA jurisdiction, creating their own regulatory body which will hear no evil and see no evil.

And the NCAA, knowing this, will avoid punishing any P5 schools to avoid losing its empire.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, the threat of the increasing power of the P5 would result in the opposite of what you mentioned. Why would the P5 want the NCAA to come down hard on two of their own. As it is, the P5 are banding together and increasing their power for the sole reason of ridding themselves from countless NCAA rules and regulations that they are forced to follow, their current trajectory points to them wanting to tear down these regulations, not build them up by asking the NCAA to come down on two of their money makers.

So the other leagues want to encourage cheating amongst themselves? What UNC did was atrocious, the NCAA will do something about it, for the legitimacy of college athletics.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
So the other leagues want to encourage cheating amongst themselves? What UNC did was atrocious, the NCAA will do something about it, for the legitimacy of college athletics.
They dont necessarily want to encourage cheating per se, but the reality of the fact is that almost every major college athletics program circumvents all the major rules using loopholes, handlers, middlemen, etc. They know everyone else is doing it and its like an extra set of hoops everyone has to jump through to get to the same end, it just ends up costing money and time. The way I see it the P5 wants to break away from NCAA regulation and set up their own set of more lenient rules, which would only help further the gap between the elites and everyone else. Why do you think UT, Michigan, Alabama, and all the other major programs are in favor of paying athletes? Is it because they want to give these guys money and reduce their profits? No of course not, they are not actually thinking about the player's wellbeing, its because opening the door to reimbursing athletes would separate them from the rest. They have the resources and finances to do it without much issue, while the rest can barely afford to keep their athletic departments in the green.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced too. This one year self ban will be accepted and they skate by. It's disgusting.
And let's not forget that Boeheim is an assistant for USA Basketball. They won't want this to drag on. K and his 1,000 wins are the NCAA, ESPN and USA Basketball's Golden Child right now, I think they all want this swept under the rug as quietly and neatly as possible. Count me in the no punishment beyond this year camp.

Reaction Score
That's one view. The other view is that none of the P5 want any punishments and if the NCAA starts punishing P5 schools, they will seek autonomy to get out from under NCAA jurisdiction, creating their own regulatory body which will hear no evil and see no evil.

And the NCAA, knowing this, will avoid punishing any P5 schools to avoid losing its empire.
Well then if the P5 leaves, maybe the NCAA will out of spite actually start caring and throw the book at both Cuse and UNC. Those are NCAA titles and Final Fours they have. The NCAA has all the power to vacate them.

We know personally how the NCAA has zero qualms with going double jeopardy and retroactively hand out punishments.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They dont necessarily want to encourage cheating per se, but the reality of the fact is that almost every major college athletics program circumvents all the major rules using loopholes, handlers, middlemen, etc. They know everyone else is doing it and its like an extra set of hoops everyone has to jump through to get to the same end, it just ends up costing money and time. The way I see it the P5 wants to break away from NCAA regulation and set up their own set of more lenient rules, which would only help further the gap between the elites and everyone else. Why do you think UT, Michigan, Alabama, and all the other major programs are in favor of paying athletes? Is it because they want to give these guys money and reduce their profits? No of course not, they are not actually thinking about the player's wellbeing, its because opening the door to reimbursing athletes would separate them from the rest. They have the resources and finances to do it without much issue, while the rest can barely afford to keep their athletic departments in the green.
Any self reporting system requires that people or institutions actually self report. When one doesn't you have to sanction it severely in order to maintain the system.

A good analogy is the IRS. It is widely accepted that a considerable amount goes unreported. You probably see it weekly if not daily. Every get handed an adding machine tape as a reciept instead of cash register tapes? Ever have a contractor tell you that a price is x but only 90%x if you pay cash? It's highly unlikely that those events are being reported. Now one could argue that "almost all business are under reporting, using loopholes and they know everyone else is doing it" and the IRS certainly recognizes that as well but that doesn't stop them from falling on you like a ton of bricks if you are one of the few that is caught. Heck if the story is interesting, or reperesentative of a current IRS "project" (target) then it will be well advertised. We're due for one of those shortly as we head into tax season.

The NCAA is in an analogous position and must sanction Syracuse and UNC severely or risk losing the last remaining shreds of legitimacy. On the other side, I agree that they don't want to alienate the P5. Look for a compromise position that dings Cuse significantly but probably on the light side. Maybe a two year post season ban but they count this year. That's light in my view, particularly if there are no vacated wins, but it gives the appearance of a significant action. Regarding UNC, the NCAA is screwed. They've got to come down on them hard. The death penalty is appropriate given the longevity of the fraud and how wide spread it was but I doubt they'll have the integrity to do it. We'll have a better sense after we see what they do to Cuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom