Bobby Petrino WKU Buyout | The Boneyard

Bobby Petrino WKU Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I found this to be very interesting and the first time I have heard this. Good for WKU putting a clause in Petrino's Contract on his Buyout that the School that hires him away owes them a home and home. More important than the money provided to WKU is a really good home game that would have been tough to get. Very smart on their part and I would expect more schools to start writing in this clause going forward.

In the wake of the scandal, Petrino signed a four-year contract with Western Kentucky in December 2012. The deal has a base salary of $850,000 and includes clauses in which the oft-traveled coach must repay the school $1.2 million in six installments beginning a month after any early exit, while the program that hires him must agree to schedule a two-year, home-and-home series with WKU.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested to see how enforceable that is. You can't commit a third party to a contract. The contract, including the buyout, is between WKU and BP. Certainly an interesting clause to try and get a good game.

Reaction Score
[quote="while the program that hires him must agree to schedule a two-year, home-and-home series with WKU.[/quote]

Wow imagine if Petrino took an NFL job, how would an NFL team schedule a home and home with a college team!

Reaction Score
[quote="while the program that hires him must agree to schedule a two-year, home-and-home series with WKU.

Wow imagine if Petrino took an NFL job, how would an NFL team schedule a home and home with a college team![/quote]

That would have been awesome!

Reaction Score
What's the timeframe for the home and home? Hopefully that was added, within ten years?

Reaction Score
Here's the actual language found in the "termination w/o cause section":

upload_2014-1-9_10-54-45.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Petrino is a scumbag. His best effort will probably end up being a shoulder shrug follwed by an "I tried."

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
So if that is correct, Petrino made $850k to coach Western Kentucky last year, but now has to pay back $1.2 to WKU for leaving? So essentially, Petrino had to pay $350k to WKU in order to coach them! That is great. Obviously WKU knew that Petrino was using them as a stepping stone and would leave at the first opportunity...and they were able to take advantage of that. Great move by WKU!

Reaction Score
So if that is correct, Petrino made $850k to coach Western Kentucky last year, but now has to pay back $1.2 to WKU for leaving? So essentially, Petrino had to pay $350k to WKU in order to coach them! That is great. Obviously WKU knew that Petrino was using them as a stepping stone and would leave at the first opportunity...and they were able to take advantage of that. Great move by WKU!

Actually I'm sure UL paid the $1.2 mill. Being that Petrino must have multiple alimony and child support payments, he makes out like a bandit.

Reaction Score

Both schools are part of the Kentucky state system. Jurich will talk to KY's Sr. Senator and Gov and nobody will owe nobody nuttin.

Reaction Score
WKU is smart. They knew they were dealing with a snake and they protected themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom