Bobby, Bobby, Bobby | The Boneyard

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see Petrino is still a dirt bag. Nice to know some things don't change.
he is definitely playing with fire this recruiting season with some of the recruits he is bringing in..specifically former B-12 Defensive player of the year and TCU DE Devonte Fields.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
he is definitely playing with fire this recruiting season with some of the recruits he is bringing in..specifically former B-12 Defensive player of the year and TCU DE Devonte Fields.

Fields is cleared to play this season now.

Anyone wondering why FSU and Clemson, two schools with similar "ethical" standards, wanted UL > UConn, I give you Exhibit A...eh, maybe more like Exhibit ZZZ. The collection of thugs and criminals at Louisville is rather impressive. FSU and Clemson (and 'da U!) might have to all step up their game.

Reaction Score

Anyone wondering why FSU and Clemson, two schools with similar "ethical" standards, wanted UL > UConn, I give you Exhibit A...eh, maybe more like Exhibit ZZZ. The collection of thugs and criminals at Louisville is rather impressive. FSU and Clemson (and 'da U!) might have to all step up their game.

they don't call them the Criminoles for nothing.

Reaction Score

I'm all for letting an arrest play out in the court system before passing judgement...BUT it amazes me at the edge a guy like Petrino walks...and that a guy like Zurich lets him walk that edge..even better yet chooses to even play with that kind of fire by hiring him again. This will eventually blow up in Jurich's face and the divorce will be ugly..again.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He's already headed to Wake Forest, unfortunately. Surprising that we didn't take a flyer on him given the circumstances.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm all for letting an arrest play out in the court system before passing judgement...BUT it amazes me at the edge a guy like Petrino walks...and that a guy like Zurich lets him walk that edge..even better yet chooses to even play with that kind of fire by hiring him again. This will eventually blow up in Jurich's face and the divorce will be ugly..again.

I'm no Petrino fan. I think the guy can coach but I don't trust him whatsoever. I certainly don't trust giving him millions of dollars and expecting a long-term solution at head coach. To me, he's more of a short-term see-what-you-can-get in 3 years or less kind of hire, because you know he's either going to quit, be fired, or get arrested. But I digress...

To be somewhat fair to Petrino, I think all of these low character transfers/recruits speak more to the university's low admission standards than the coach. Charlie Strong was pulling in these type of questionable transfers/recruits too. When you have a 75% acceptance rate and operate in a mini-SEC environment, where character issues/ethics/academics are secondary to on-field results, regardless of who is hurt/beaten/cheated/murdered within the university community and/or conference, you can permit allowing these types of thugs into your school and program.

Reaction Score
We can make fun of Ville all we want (and it's deserved), but they got one of the golden parachutes handed out. Would I like to go full Louisville here at UConn if it meant getting into a P5 conference? I'm not sure I would. In fact I definately wouldn't. But I wouldn't mind going half way there.

Dooley

Reaction Score
That's an entirely different debate. I'm sure there are UConn fans/alum who wouldn't mind a few "calculated risks" here and there. But I'm with you Jimmy, I would not want to jump into the deep end of the scumbag pool with the likes of the Louisvilles, FSU, and most SEC schools.

It's kind of telling about the nature of the NCAA though, eh? Louisville, who will admit anyone recently released out of prison, got their golden parachute out of the AAC. Syracuse has cheated for the better half of 20 years and they got their parachute fairly recently (and a slap on the wrist). UNC has a separate set of "academic" requirements for its student athletes from its student non-athletes and, yet, they are still fondled all over the place as some sort of coveted target in CR. UConn truthfully reported APR scores and were banned from postseason play, labelled as a poor academic school all over the country, and have been stuck in the AAC quicksand while watching others get their golden parachutes.

Reaction Score
We can make fun of Ville all we want (and it's deserved), but they got one of the golden parachutes handed out. Would I like to go full Louisville here at UConn if it meant getting into a P5 conference? I'm not sure I would. In fact I definately wouldn't. But I wouldn't mind going half way there.

so, just the tip?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm with Jimmy. I'd go halfway there. Take chances on kids as long as their prior, ahem, offenses aren't violent or against women.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to have kids do bad things once they get to campus. It is another thing to recruit kids that were bad actors elsewhere. I'd rather take the risk on questionable high school kids than college kids that have already gone wrong.

Reaction Score
Which brings up an interesting question... If you were coach would you have found a way to keep McQuillan on the team if they had a post grad program available for him? Or would that be considered wading to the Louisville(scum bag) side of the pool?

Reaction Score
Which brings up an interesting question... If you were coach would you have found a way to keep McQuillan on the team if they had a post grad program available for him? Or would that be considered wading to the Louisville(scum bag) side of the pool?
I don't think Diaco can be accused at NOT helping McQuillan or the fact there was not a post-grad program he could get into. McQuillan's issue was he was not allowed back into school because of a violation of the student life rules....he was treated like any other student would have been treated.

Reaction Score
I don't think Diaco can be accused at NOT helping McQuillan or the fact there was not a post-grad program he could get into. McQuillan's issue was he was not allowed back into school because of a violation of the student life rules....he was treated like any other student would have been treated.
I'm not accusing Diaco of anything. I'm not saying he did or didn't do anything. I'm asking as compared to what some in here have called "Louisville thugs" and "Criminoles", if you were coach would you have tried to keep McQuillan on the team like Petrino allegedly would? McQuillan would have been a nice piece to hold onto. What say you?

Reaction Score
I'm not accusing Diaco of anything. I'm not saying he did or didn't do anything. I'm asking as compared to what some in here have called "Louisville thugs" and "Criminoles", if you were coach would you have tried to keep McQuillan on the team like Petrino allegedly would? McQuillan would have been a nice piece to hold onto. What say you?
He did try to hold on to him if you listen to what he said about the matter when he announced he was no longer in school...He was tossed out of school for the assault after a hearing for the student life rules violation...there was nothing Diaco could do or say to stop it. It was EXTREMELY evident Diaco wanted to keep him but he had ZERO say! There is no way a guy like Petrino would have EVER taken the job at UCONN...between the admissions requirements AND the conduct rules the University holds ALL students to lately he wouldn't have been able to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHuski

Top Bottom