Bob Joyce "Coach's Corner" interview | The Boneyard

Bob Joyce "Coach's Corner" interview

Reaction Score
Some quick tidbits:

- Nika dealing with a foot issue, has been out 3 to 4 days and hopes she can play Saturday.

- He has been really impressed with Mir's ability to rebound the ball, says she is as good as anyone getting to the ball. Also good defensively and slashing.

- Evina still not 100 % healthy (I'm starting to think more Paige will be starting). He talks bit about the other returners as well.

- Says Paige is most consistent Freshman right now which I'm sure we were all expecting to hear.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some quick tidbits:

- Nika dealing with a foot issue, has been out 3 to 4 days and hopes she can play Saturday.

- He has been really impressed with Mir's ability to rebound the ball, says she is as good as anyone getting to the ball. Also good defensively and slashing.

- Evina still not 100 % healthy (I'm starting to think more Paige will be starting). He talks bit about the other returners as well.

- Says Paige is most consistent Freshman right now which I'm sure we were all expecting to hear.

Rings, thanks for posting this podcast. I would like to listen to this coaches show on a regular basis. If you could post them here for us, that would be great.

Reaction Score
Sure thing! I believe Bob said they would be doing another interview before the game on Saturday, so I'll keep an eye out. If anyone else sees it first, please feel free to share! :)

Rings, thanks for posting this podcast. I would like to listen to this coaches show on a regular basis. If you could post them here for us, that would be great.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couple other tidbits...

With the forced time off, Geno does not feel the conditioning is great. It's ok but not great. Maybe that's where the rest of the country is, but it's noticeable for the team.

A lot of stop and go and a lot of changes. Freshmen weren't able to acclimate over the summer so slower than usual for them and a lot more teaching given the sheer number. It's just going to take time and put onus on older players to carry the load till the freshmen can get to where they need to be.

When we are good, we look pretty good - like we know what we are doing and have been together for a while. Then it just kind of disappears. Like all of a sudden. It's not gradual! That's gonna fix itself as the season unfolds, but right now, it's a bit of a roller coaster.

It's new for the coaches too. Trial and error - how fast can you go? how hard can you go? Saturday isn't going to be pretty. It's going to take time for the team to get into rhythm.

Anna Makurat - some of the time off has not helped her. She came back and was in great shape, but preseason time off did not help her. She's working hard to get back into shape. (Me - I'm sort of surprised she did so well in Poland, but came back to UCONN and backslid even tho she wasn't able to practice), but she does look really good as far as offense and shooting.

Olivia has really good understanding of offense - when is she supposed to flash, cut, how to make a great back door pass, making the 15' jumper, etc. It's comfort level for her - she has it now - last part of last season did wonders for her.

Christyn - looks more explosive. Not happy with last season. She looks really good. added a little bit to her game as well.

Paige more consistent than any of the other freshmen. Has really good feel for the game and also is a really good offensive player. She sees everybody when they are open. Very rarely does she miss an open man - so she's been the most consistent. (Me - Can't imagine her not being the starting PG)

Aaliyah is a very very physical player in the lane. Very physical. Takes up a lot of space and works really hard. Trying to work on their skill level right now, but in terms of how hard she plays, she's been really impressive. Not explosively athletic like Tamika Williams, doesn't have offensive sophistication that Jones had. She can become someone like that - like Ashja Jones - with her size and aggressiveness she could be a real factor.

Then he did some talking about the Eagles. MEH LOL. I'd rather hear about UCONN!! ;)

He hasn't watched much WCBB but did see some of Louisville. Was very impressed with how explosive and deep they are so that caught his eye. 35 fouls is crazy, but he came away thinking "maybe not a bad thing we missed that game".

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Anna Makurat - some of the time off has not helped her. She came back and was in great shape, but preseason time off did not help her. She's working hard to get back into shape. (Me - I'm sort of surprised she did so well in Poland, but came back to UCONN and backslid even tho she wasn't able to practice), but she does look really good as far as offense and shooting.

Paige more consistent than any of the other freshmen. Has really good feel for the game and also is a really good offensive player. She sees everybody when they are open. Very rarely does she miss an open man - so she's been the most consistent. (Me - Can't imagine her not being the starting PG)

RE: ANNA - YEAH, THIS WAS DISAPPOINTING TO HEAR. ALONG WITH NIKA'S FOOT PROBLEM

RE: PAIGE STARTING - I GO BACK AND FORTH ON THIS BUT IT SEEMS AT LEAST POSSIBLE PAIGE WILL START. THE ARGUMENT AGAINST THIS IS THE LOYALTY GENO ALWAYS DISPLAYS TOWARD VETERANS, AND THE REMARKS HE'S MADE ABOUT E's HARD WORK AND LEADERSHIP. WE'LL KNOW SOON.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like what I hear about Mir. Yes, she has to learn the offense some more. But she can go get the ball!

I'm a little more invested in the local kids whom I've seen in person: Mir, Saylor, and Azzi.

I think it is noteworthy that in the last interviews, Geno strongly implied that Mir was
behind Paige, Aliyah and Nika in acclimating into the system (in the broad sense) but instead of perhaps settling with that, seems to have pushed through and got Geno's kudos

Reaction Score
Did Anna just start pounding cheeseburgers when she got back to campus at the end of the summer? Just the way Geno said it made me think he was implying it was some bad habit she got back into when she came back from Poland.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did Anna just start pounding cheeseburgers when she got back to campus at the end of the summer? Just the way Geno said it made me think he was implying it was some bad habit she got back into when she came back from Poland.
:eek: Ouch! I certainly didn’t read/hear it that way. What I heard was Anna returned to Campus in peak condition but was not able to sustain that peak because of “inactivity”. What did you think it meant when the program was shut down?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
:eek: Ouch! I certainly didn’t read/hear it that way. What I heard was Anna returned to Campus in peak condition but was not able to sustain that peak because of “inactivity”. What did you think it meant when the program was shut down?
At the end of Geno's Anna summary he said something highly complimentary. Something along the lines of she'll do great.

Reaction Score
How restricted is the movement of the players? I know they are in pods and obviously can go to the gym. What else is permitted? Could, for instance, Ana (or any of the others) go to the track to do interval training to stay in shape?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it is noteworthy that in the last interviews, Geno strongly implied that Mir was
behind Paige, Aliyah and Nika in acclimating into the system (in the broad sense) but instead of perhaps settling with that, seems to have pushed through and got Geno's kudos
In the Bob Joyce interview, Geno spoke very highly of Mir's ability to go get the ball. Her outside shot is likely rough. Her midrange game may be evolving. But she can score among the trees, and she makes free throws. She also snatches rebounds away from other players, just like Gabby Williams.

Reaction Score
In the Bob Joyce interview, Geno spoke very highly of Mir's ability to go get the ball. Her outside shot is likely rough. Her midrange game may be evolving. But she can score among the trees, and she makes free throws. She also snatches rebounds away from other players, just like Gabby Williams.
Sounds good! Mir from Baltimore. Used to live in the Roland Park neighborhood. Beautiful!
Evolution of basketball? Everyone has to shoot from the outside. I’m not that damn old. When I played we had a couple players that never shot J’s and they were effective as hell! As a coach, I’ve had players that only shot layups. Did all the dirty work. I loved them.
Here‘s a question: What if Geno didn’t put Gabby at the high post? I know, I loved her there too. But she could never hit that shot consistently. It hurt the team. Especially in big spots. He didn’t have to put her there. There were other options. Could he have moved Pheesa? Might have helped the team. Might have won another NC. Gabby on the block, Pheesa at high post. Pheesa wouldn’t have scored as much but the team may have been better. Pheesa could drive to the hole with both hands too. Gabby could be lower, doing more dirty work.
Let‘s not stress about Mir and Aubrey being great shooters. There’s a lot more to the game. Hard to teach or even learn athleticism.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the interview, they said that UConn had released some practice footage to the press (or only Bob?) . I wonder if it is going to make it out to the world. Would love to see some extended practice video

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the interview, they said that UConn had released some practice footage to the press (or only Bob?) . I wonder if it is going to make it out to the world. Would love to see some extended practice video
I believe what Bob said was that he and a few other media members were able to watch the entire practice via Zoom. It would have been SOP in normal times for the media ,selected guest, and recruits to come in and watch practice. Video or extended video of the practice would not have been appreciated (permitted?) even in normal times though. Some extended practice footage usually comes out via SNY a week or so behind.

Reaction Score
It appeared that Anna was doing swimming while she was home in Poland. Great aerobic workout. Probably does not have that as an exercise option right now as pools are not good places to be when creeping crud is around.

Reaction Score
I had previously stated that I felt that Mir was going to be the surprise of the incoming freshmen. Athletic ability will tell in the end and apparently she possesses that in abundance. If you were to tell me that she is Gabby.2 I'd take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect it is an issue of body chemistry that causes her a greater fall off than some others. Something as simple as a lower metabolic rate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
RE: ANNA - YEAH, THIS WAS DISAPPOINTING TO HEAR. ALONG WITH NIKA'S FOOT PROBLEM

RE: PAIGE STARTING - I GO BACK AND FORTH ON THIS BUT IT SEEMS AT LEAST POSSIBLE PAIGE WILL START. THE ARGUMENT AGAINST THIS IS THE LOYALTY GENO ALWAYS DISPLAYS TOWARD VETERANS, AND THE REMARKS HE'S MADE ABOUT E's HARD WORK AND LEADERSHIP. WE'LL KNOW SOON.
I feel like this was a telegram. RE ANNA [STOP] YEAH THIS WAS DISAPPOINTING...

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score

I don't know about Anna, but I can tell you that I stress-ate a few cheeseburgers when the program shut down. I passed COVID 19 a while ago... I'm approaching COVID 30. :(

psconn

Reaction Score
I feel like this was telegram. RE ANNA [STOP] YEAH THIS WAS DISAPPOINTING...

RE: YOUR POST [STOP] ARE TELEGRAMS STILL A THING? [STOP]

Reaction Score
I don't know about Anna, but I can tell you that I stress-ate a few cheeseburgers when the program shut down. I passed COVID 19 a while ago... I'm approaching COVID 30. :(
Do cheeseburgers prevent Covid.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom