Boatright | The Boneyard

Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like what I have seen at times, I think at times he has been solid. He has been very inconsistent at times, though.

I know it is very early, but does anyone think he is ready for the NBA after this season (for those of you who don't remember he mentioned going pro in an offseason interview)? I expected a little more. I will say that I have been very impressed with Shabazz, though. He's looked unstoppable at times (sans himself).

H

Husk-E

I think if anybody is going pro it's Shabazz, and even that is a stretch. Most everybody on the team is not ready for the NBA and it would be stupid for any of them to leave, granted, that's what I said last year and look where we stand now. I think we have a smart bunch of kids though, hopefully everyone will stay.

Reaction Score
Boat's athleticism, speed, and ability to create his own shot will determine whether he will go to the league (similar to kemba.) He will not be ready this year and may not be next year either. His game can be very similar to Kembas and he has been compared to Kemba multiple times on this board. I think that in time, as he matures, he will be ready for the NBA.. But not yet

Reaction Score
I think if anybody is going pro it's Shabazz, and even that is a stretch. Most everybody on the team is not ready for the NBA and it would be stupid for any of them to leave, granted, that's what I said last year and look where we stand now. I think we have a smart bunch of kids though, hopefully everyone will stay.

While I agree with you Husk-E, unfortunately, every year, we see guys go pro that have no business doing so. Let's hope Shabazz isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
Boat's athleticism, speed, and ability to create his own shot will determine whether he will go to the league (similar to kemba.) He will not be ready this year and may not be next year either. His game can be very similar to Kembas and he has been compared to Kemba multiple times on this board. I think that in time, as he matures, he will be ready for the NBA.. But not yet

I agree, but what surprises me is Shabazz. I'm not comparing him to Kemba, but he has shown major improvement from his soph to junior season (while coming off of foot surgery, no less), and looks like the go to guy on the team. I think I expected the opposite (Boat vs. Shabazz) this year.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Shabazz is mainly benefiting from Boatright taking over point guard duties and getting to be more of a shooting guard.

Reaction Score
I agree, but what surprises me is Shabazz. I'm not comparing him to Kemba, but he has shown major improvement from his soph to junior season (while coming off of foot surgery, no less), and looks like the go to guy on the team. I think I expected the opposite (Boat vs. Shabazz) this year.
Well, as expected, Bazz is assuming the role of the team's primary scorer as more of a 2 guard. Boat has assumed the role of PG and main distributor. As a result, Bazz's ppg has gone up and his assists have gone down accordingly. Boat has been distributing the ball nicely thus far but still has to work on his assist/to ratio. His scoring will emerge, i think, as the season goes on.

The question i have with Bazz, however, is how will this scoring role translate to the NBA at his size? He's quick, but not blazing. He's a good shooter, but not incredible. He has the ability to distribute the ball, but its not overwhelming. What makes him stand out from bigger, faster, NBA body-ready type 2 guards in the country. Not a shot at him by anymeans, as he IS our best player right now.

Reaction Score
I think Shabazz is a really good college player, and if could probably hold his own in the league in limited minutes, unfortunately, there is just nothing about his game that is going to stand out in the eyes of NBA scouts. He does a lot of things well, but he doesn't do anything that separates him from the pack. I would say the best NBA comparison for Shabazz is D.J. Augustin, and Augustin may be on his way out of the league if he continues to tread down the path he's on. I'd say he's the closest to being ready for the NBA than anybody on this team from a skills standpoint, but I'm not sure he has the physical gifts to make it worth his while to leave after this season.

Boatright's definitely not ready, unfortunately you ge the feeling there are a lot of people in his ear telling him he is. I talked at length about Boatright in a different thread yesterday - his decision making still is not up to par if he's looking to be an NBA point guard in the near future. The one thing the kids got going for him is nobody can stay in front of him - that's a desireable skill at the NBA level, and one I'm not sure Shabazz has. Shabazz can get by his man 99% of the time - Boatright, I think, can do it whenever he wants. Shabazz does look to have a couple inches on Boatright though. I don't know what Boatright's listed as, but he can't be much taller than 5'10 without shoes. That's going to put a glass ceiling on his NBA aspirations no matter what he does to improve his game, unfortunately.

I don't see the NBA in Deandre's future. To me, he looks like a four year player. In many ways, he's the classic tweener - he's not quick enough to play the three, and he's not strong enough to play the four. Even if he works on his handle and his jumper, I just don't think he has the explosiveness to consistently shake elite perimeter defenders. I hope I'm wrong.

The best NBA prospect on this team is Omar Calhoun IMO. I think he has just enough athleticism to get by in the NBA if he can harness his skills like so many UConn wing players before him. He'll definitely have to improve his handle, because at 6'3/6'4, he's right on the fringe of the minimum height scouts want in an NBA two guard. I haven't really seen enough of him to make a fair assesment though, so I could be way off.

I'd put the odds at 50/50 that we have everybody back next year. I don't see any draft boards out there that have any of our guys being selected at all, nevermind as first rounders. It makes a little bit of sense for Shabazz to leave after this season because let's face it, there really isn't a lot he can gain by returning for a fourth year from a player development standpoint. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to get a jump start on his pro career and finish his degree later. Other than that, there's always the chance a kid transfers or declares for the draft based on his own delusions of what he can become, and unfortunately that's just part of the way college basketball is in 2012. For every Kemba Walker and Richard Hamilton who returns to school and earns himself millions, there is a Stanley Robinson or Alex Oriakhi who sticks around for four years and continues to be exposed at the college level. If Oriakhi had left after his sophmore year, and Sticks after his junior year, I think scouts would have seen enough to take a chance on one of those kids. Even those who don't become good NBA players are leaving money on the table by returning to school for their junior and senior seasons, so I wouldn't necessarily blame anybody for testing the waters of their profession sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
I think Shabazz is mainly benefiting from Boatright taking over point guard duties and getting to be more of a shooting guard.

That would have substance if Boat was playing well and creating double teams but he is not at this point. Bazz is playing at a much higher level than Boat for now and we all need that to change and become more equal!

Reaction Score
Bazz very often seems unhappy to me during games- like he just sucked a lemon. I hope this is not true. If a player gets it in their head they should not be in a certain place it is hard to shake that thought. Hopefully KO and even JC will talk to these guy as the year progresses and let them know that they are not ready for the NBA draft.

Some players would rather leave and play in Europe making good money if the NBA does not work out- there are players that need to take care of their families one way or another if they are not looking to get a day job.

UCONN has always been honest with it's players and has never tried to hold someone back who is ready to move on- I just do not see anyone ready to move on at this point and time in the season.

Reaction Score
My only knock on Boat is that he needs a quicker release and more of a pure stroke on his outside jumper. He shoots from the apex of his leap (which is probably 30+ inches) and then shoots what looks like a push shot, but he takes too much time to get the shot off. Not saying that is going to keep him out of the league, but he has to perfect a reliable outside jumper that he can get over a bigger defender at any time. He can create space with his handle, but his shot allows the defense too much time to react. Hopefully he stays another year or two to become one of the top PGs in the country. Someone else said it and it's very true that what we see is nothing compared to what the players hear from their family and friends.

Reaction Score
Boat needs to improve his shooting percentage. He's the main distributor now and yet his shooting percentage is below 40% and below 30% on threes. There is no way an NBA team would take him with these kinds of numbers. He needs to be in the high 40s overall and at least at 40% on threes. He also needs to improve his assist to turnover ratio. He needs at least another year if not two.

Bazz on the other hand is getting there. He could theoretically go and be a 2nd round pick next year. If he can stay in college, then he should get his degree and stay one more year. He needs to develop some consistency and he needs to get a bit stronger. He also needs to grow up and stop arguing so much with his teammates. If he does that then he will be a 1st round lock in two years.

Reaction Score
Boatright has he ability to create trouble for himself. I think it is a focus thing. He reminds me of early Kemba. Over penetrates until he gets into trouble and a wildly inconsistent outside game.

He has more talent and athleticism than some teams that we have faced. Once he figures out when to play fast and when to throttle down, he will be a great, great player.

Reaction Score
Boatright is a true sophomore and still learning to play against better competition (e.g. high school). He still brings a playground style to the game and I'm not sure that works at his size at the Div 1 level. He needs a year or two more to figure things out but unfortunately he won't grow much taller. NBA could be in his future but he will have to fight hard to make a roster and fight harder to stay on one.

As for Bazz, he could be an AA next year once he puts two halves together. He could be a Stephen Curry type player. Watching him play without the ball in his hands he seems to stand around on the perimeter. He's our best player and needs to study Rip films and demand the ball. The kid can flat out play. Have you ever seen his shot blocked? I haven't but multiple times with Boat. Ollie needs to get into Bazz's head particularly in the 1st half. He is so good he can take a half off and still come back and win the game for us. Many complained about him being selfish last season, but now I wish he would be a little selfish. As for the NBA, there are dozens of Bazz's out there (including already on NBA teams), and he too will have to fight to make and stay.

For both being short is a disadvantage in the NBA. To their benefit they both have a coach that knows how to make, and what to do to stay on, an NBA roster. Neither seem ready to make an NBA career at this point.

Reaction Score
Boat isn't ready. Right now, he is having trouble getting his shot off consistently without being bothered by the defender. If this is a problem at the college level, imagine what it would be like in the league. With more experience, he may be able to harness and utilize his athleticism to create better shots, but right now, at times, he still struggles with this against D1 competition. At his height, this is something he has to prove he can do to make it at the next level.

He is shooting under 40% from the field and 25% from three, but over 80% from the line. This is evidence that college defenders are successfully contesting his shot right now. He can shoot, but is having trouble getting clean looks at his height.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Boatright is a true sophomore and still learning to play against better competition (e.g. high school). He still brings a playground style to the game and I'm not sure that works at his size at the Div 1 level. He needs a year or two more to figure things out but unfortunately he won't grow much taller. NBA could be in his future but he will have to fight hard to make a roster and fight harder to stay on one.

As for Bazz, he could be an AA next year once he puts two halves together. He could be a Stephen Curry type player. Watching him play without the ball in his hands he seems to stand around on the perimeter. He's our best player and needs to study Rip films and demand the ball. The kid can flat out play. Have you ever seen his shot blocked? I haven't but multiple times with Boat. Ollie needs to get into Bazz's head particularly in the 1st half. He is so good he can take a half off and still come back and win the game for us. Many complained about him being selfish last season, but now I wish he would be a little selfish. As for the NBA, there are dozens of Bazz's out there (including already on NBA teams), and he too will have to fight to make and stay.

For both being short is a disadvantage in the NBA. To their benefit they both have a coach that knows how to make, and what to do to stay on, an NBA roster. Neither seem ready to make an NBA career at this point.
Watch the game again. I did. Bazz was moving a lot in that first half. He just didn't take a lot of shots. He had two or three decent looks he passed on. I have no problem with that.

Reaction Score
No one on this team is going to the NBA next year. Shabazz maybe could, but he won't, he comes across as a 4 year player and I'm sure he wants one more shot at the tournament.

Reaction Score
Bazz may have to come out this year. The NBA rarely drafts seniors any more. If he has a great season, it is probably best to leave.

Reaction Score
Vastly underrating boatright as a talent IMO . He could easily be a 2nd rounder next year. Although I believe he stays to make a tourney run and turn into a first rounder. Sure Napier is a few inches on em but he lacks the burst that Ryan has

Reaction Score
If you're Boatright's size and you want to leave early for the NBA, you better either be a phenomenal decision maker or a phenomenal shooter. Boatright is neither right now.

He can get wherever he wants on the court, but he's missing a lot of his midrange jumpers and turning the ball over too much. On defense, his biggest strength is the ability to steal the ball from the opposing point guards. That won't happen very often at the next level.

Don't mean to bash the kid. I have no doubt that he's an All Big East (ACC?) player by the time his career is over. But if he leaves after this year there is a 0% chance he's a 1st rounder and a pretty good chance he's undrafted.

Reaction Score
Vastly underrating boatright as a talent IMO . He could easily be a 2nd rounder next year. Although I believe he stays to make a tourney run and turn into a first rounder. Sure Napier is a few inches on em but he lacks the burst that Ryan has

Not sure what you're seeing for now because Bazz is a better player as we speak........Boat has talent no doubt but he has been getting his shots defended quite easily when going to the hoop and has trouble creating open looks......Bazz on the other hand has been able to take over a couple of games down the stretch against double teams......think Boat will be okay he needs a confidence game though soon........

As of now Boat would not get drafted and Bazz would just not sure how high.......hope to have these 2 back with us next year, they are fun and talented to watch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom