Boatright without Napier | The Boneyard

Boatright without Napier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its obvious that Boatright is not the same player when his backcourt mate is not on the floor. Without Napier he has a much harder time finding his offensive game, turns the ball over more, and over-penetrates. However he gave us 100% effort out there and I believe he will take his game up another notch next year

Reaction Score
eh, outside of the Syr and Dep games he was looking like this alot even when Bazz was there, it just wasn't as magnified because Bazz was there to bail him out and cover for him. Now his deficiences are truly being exposed. Who was the poster who said Boat was a better PG, Burnsbros? I hope you've had a chance to rethink that...

Reaction Score
The problem with Boat is I think his skills and athleticism really shine off the ball. You don't see many 5'10 two guards but that's where he's been most effective for us. As Kemba did before him, Bazz has clearly made many players, and most noticeably Boat look a lot better.

Reaction Score
The main problems I see with Boat are that on defense he overpursues and gambles on steals instead of using his natural quickness to try and stay in front of his guy and on offense, i wish he could learn the eurostep move because as he gets ready to shoot or go up for a layin, or what have you, he does that jump stop thing to get elevation where if he just had a little bit of shiftyness to his game he might not get blocked as often.

Reaction Score
Boatright seems to try to do too much with Napier out. He knows he has to produce and he presses too hard to try to make things happen. What we saw tonight from him was frustration. I'm sure Ollie would have liked to sub for him but the bench was bare and he had to play the entire game. The kid had his worst game but he also didn't get any help and he had to handle the ball on every possession without a blow. He also may have lost some confidence. I'm probably alone on this but I think Boatright will be outstanding for us next year.

Reaction Score
The reality is that Boatright isn't very good. He can't stay in front of a chair on defense. He is generally a terrible shooter that gets hot every now and then and has a horrid assist to turnover ratio.

Reaction Score
Boat is a good player when used properly.
Pretty simple Boat isn't a PG.
He stalls the offense most of the time when asked to be out their as a true point.
His strength is not running the team.

Still he is a valuable piece to the team when used correctly as a 2G.
if Bazz leaves hoping Samuel can come right in and play PG freeing Boat up to do what he does best.....score.

Reaction Score
First off. Boat isn't 'bad'. He might just be an idiot though. it's as though he thinks hes playing for east aurora still. he still thinks he can outatheletic dI starters. He simply knows nothing about running pg, and also has mental lapses. Has TALENT. Just needs to use it right. Why is he full court pressin the whole game when he doesn't have the conditioning for it?!?!?!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Boatright has certainly regressed of late. What has he done since the Cuse game? He played well at Depaul and that was it.

Boat really needs to work on:
1) Running the offense
2) Conditioning
3) Defense
4) Playing with his head up
5) Consistent shot

Clearly he's strained by having to run the offense and handle the ball every possession with Bazz out. But I was somewhat expecting to see him step up with Napier out and show us some flashes of what he's capable of. Instead, he's put doubts in my mind that he can run the team without Shabazz.

I don't think he's a PG as others have stated, he is a better-suited 2g. However, if he wants to play in the league, he's gotta hone his PG skills. He needs to learn how to run the offense and set guys up for good looks. Any time he attacks it seems like hes going to the rim or turning it over. He needs to play in control and with his head up.

Also, has anyone on the team been more streaky of a shooter? Some games the kid can't miss and other games he can't seem to find the bottom of the net.

I see the comparisons to Kemba's sophomore year and how both played out of control at times. But I can't help but think that Kemba has a better BBIQ and was able to refine his game better than Boat might be able to.

Its really tough seeing Boat drop his head and slack on defense when he's supposed to be our leader. The kid needs to be more steady and consistent on a possession-by-possession basis. Too many times on transition defense I see him try to stop the ball by going for the steal when he needs to get back and help out our numbers. Also, I sense his conditioning could be better. He's not a good leader right now.

I expect Boat to work hard this off-season and improve with some help from Ollie, but he has to be more consistent.

Reaction Score
He also can't run a fast break the way sophomore Kemba could. He needs to pace himself. Let the game slow down. improve his actual ENTRY PASSING. he could score so easily on floaters as opposed to getting his pinned on the glass.

Reaction Score
Boat without Napier? How about Boat with Napier? Seriously, the last month for Boat has been by far his worst in a UCONN uniform. (and I am being nice)

Reaction Score
Any chance he can grow a few inches in the off season. Defending him is really simple. Find a guard over 6 feet with decent foot speed. Boat cannot get a decent shot off against bigger guards.

He needs to put some serious muscle on too. Kemba was small but had great strength, Boat doesn't.

Reaction Score
Any chance he can grow a few inches in the off season. Defending him is really simple. Find a guard over 6 feet with decent foot speed. Boat cannot get a decent shot off against bigger guards.

He needs to put some serious muscle on too. Kemba was small but had great strength, Boat doesn't.
Earlier in the year and even last year I considered boat so quick wit the ball that he could drive by anybody. Think kemba mizzou 09. I swear I think if conditioned he could be. When he beats his man the d shrinks and he makes the wrong pass .he should playin like flippin jj BAREA with hops

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boat had some holes in his game exposed this year. Ball handling, running the offense and man defense come immediately to mind.

If he commits to fixing them, like Shabazz did, he will be fine next year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Bingo on the red. This is far more important than height alone which no one has mentioned until you. And there is more too it.

I apologize if this is an old rant: I grew up in Norwalk which was a basketball hotbed at the time.
3 guys were incredible all around 5'10."

One guy in particular, against constant nay sayers "too small" "too little" "never make it at the next level. proved them ALL wrong all the way to the NBA & HOF.

He was stronger physically and most importantly mentally than most whenever he stepped on the court, with blinding speed, a money pull up jumper. And he never ever threw up his hands in frustration if it something went wrong....he just got more determined.

This throwing up hands gesture I find troubling whether it's AO or RB. What are they thinking. Never show the enemy your weakness. It never helps only hurts. Makes you look weak with little teeny tiny balls.

Ryan has talent, he has heart. He needs to suck it up over the summer, look himself in the mirror, ask himself if he wand to succeed badly enough to do whatever it takes.

eat smart/ train smart/play smart/play under control/play too your strengths using speed & surprise

use your speed to create space
develop a vertical "Calvin Murphy" pull up, not your streaky off balance fade away
learn to play with others/encourage motion/ rewarding teammates effort by distributing the friggin ball

with Ryan's speed and hops, he should be able to surprise and elevate over much taller players
elevating straight up should drastically improve shooting percentage

Watching Ryan has been painful, more so lately
We all want him to succeed and by extension the team.

That's all I got

Reaction Score
Boat has tremendous athleticism. However, he is a shooting guard trapped in a 5'9" body. In high school his athleticism allowed him to dominate. At this level its not enough. If he improves his handle and decision making, he can become an excellent college player on the offensive end of the floor. Defensively, I don't think he will ever be nba caliber. Love me some Boat, but he has a long way to go to be a legit NBA prospect.

Reaction Score
Boatright has certainly regressed of late. What has he done since the Cuse game? He played well at Depaul and that was it.

Boat really needs to work on:
1) Running the offense
2) Conditioning
3) Defense
4) Playing with his head up
5) Consistent shot

Clearly he's strained by having to run the offense and handle the ball every possession with Bazz out. But I was somewhat expecting to see him step up with Napier out and show us some flashes of what he's capable of. Instead, he's put doubts in my mind that he can run the team without Shabazz.

I don't think he's a PG as others have stated, he is a better-suited 2g. However, if he wants to play in the league, he's gotta hone his PG skills. He needs to learn how to run the offense and set guys up for good looks. Any time he attacks it seems like hes going to the rim or turning it over. He needs to play in control and with his head up.

Also, has anyone on the team been more streaky of a shooter? Some games the kid can't miss and other games he can't seem to find the bottom of the net.

I see the comparisons to Kemba's sophomore year and how both played out of control at times. But I can't help but think that Kemba has a better BBIQ and was able to refine his game better than Boat might be able to.

Its really tough seeing Boat drop his head and slack on defense when he's supposed to be our leader. The kid needs to be more steady and consistent on a possession-by-possession basis. Too many times on transition defense I see him try to stop the ball by going for the steal when he needs to get back and help out our numbers. Also, I sense his conditioning could be better. He's not a good leader right now.

I expect Boat to work hard this off-season and improve with some help from Ollie, but he has to be more consistent.
First of all, I really don't think he's regressed. He just isn't as good as a point guard as Napier is. Lacks the fundamentals for that position. He's a small 2 guard. He can fill in occasionally at the point, but if you ask him to run it full time its like asking Calhoun to do it. he doesn't have the skill set. As far as shooting I never thought he was much of a shooter. he's a scorer and a slasher, but his outside shot has always been iffy.

On defense I'm not so sure he slacks so much as he just isn't all that good. He is very small which makes it very tough to guard bigger 2 guards. Guys with good outside shots just shoot over him. On th eother hand, I think it helps him on th offensive end because he is quicker than many bigger 2s and he can drive by them. He's also not the leader of this team. Shabaz is the team leader. Napier is injured and likely won't be back, and that hurts, but team leaders just don't get replaced because they are injured. It isn't something you just turn on and off and if you try it can cause more problems than it fixes. Guys emerge as leaders over time. Final note. I have no idea if he'll work hard and improve in the off season, but no matter how hard he works he isn't going to be 6-3 or 6-5 next year, so some of his issues are going to remain, especially on the defensive side. I think it is doubtful he'll develop the point guard skills. And I serioulsy doubt that he'll ever play in the NBA. There just aren't many 5-11 point guards these days.

Reaction Score
Boat thinks he is A Iverson, when he realizes he isn't UConn will be better off. He looks like a 4 year player. Last year was a clusterf$% for him on/off team twice, played too many minutes this year by necessity. Hopefully next year he can settle in more if Napier returns, Calhoun/Daniels keep improving and Samuel can provide some quality mins. He is best on this team when he is 3rd/3A option...in that role he shines....if he is asked to lead this team I have my doubts.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Eventually we might realize it's a pattern of guards struggling when they're first asked to run the team alone. Every UConn guy, save El-Amin, has gone through it. Given what he's capable of, there's no reason to think Boatright won't be much better next year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year and even last year I considered boat so quick wit the ball that he could drive by anybody. Think kemba mizzou 09. I swear I think if conditioned he could be. When he beats his man the d shrinks and he makes the wrong pass .he should playin like flippin jj BAREA with hops
This! Except I don't believe it's conditioning. His play and quickness deteriorated at the same time it was reported his knee was swelling. His entire offensive and defensive game has been hampered, imo, because of this chronic problem.

Last year people criticized SN for his play deteriorating as the season progressed only to find out he played with a stress fx in his foot all season.

RB probably toughed it out most of this season but instead of our appreciation for sticking it out we are criticizing him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Boatshow will be much improved by his junior or senior season. ollie will teach him, he just has to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom