Boatright Lays It Out For Teammates | The Boneyard

Boatright Lays It Out For Teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"We've got to stop traveling," Ryan Boatright said, citing one example. "This is D-1 basketball. Take a shot."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-smu-follow-0216-20150215-story.html

Couple that quote from the above article and this one from after the game.

"We're just a little too fragile sometimes," Boatright said. "It's frustrating for me. I try to express as much as I can to the team, you play hard all the way to the end. It's one thing when a team beats you, it's another thing when you let up and give up and let them do alley-oops and have a dunk fest. You're supposed to play hard to the end. They're not supposed to get dunks, you foul 'em hard and make them go to the free throw line"

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-smu-0215-20150214-story.html

This team has a penchant for not following through on fouls once contact is made or the whistle is blown. Little hint, they won't call two fouls on you for the same play. Use the four fouls you are given wisely but make them count. Too many And-1's due to UConn players not playing through the whistle.

Reaction Score
Hard to blame him for saying this. It drives me nuts when kids like Purvis and Calhoun, who are three years removed from high school, travel with the ball. If you're a guard and you're still doing that in your third year, then I have to wonder if you're ever going to get it. And Purvis stepping on the sideline? My God, it's painful to watch and I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for kids like Boatright. He wasn't a perfect player as a sophomore but he wasn't doing that s***.

Reaction Score
Boat wasn't perfect until his junior year which even then didn't become who he is now until a bit later.

However he has the right to say this after what happened last night. He played hard all night and did a nice job masking what I am sure was complete frustration. Can't blame the kid al all!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Boat wasn't perfect until his junior year which even then didn't become who he is now until a bit later.

Oh, the time I had in pointing out to my brother-in-law when the change was happening and he still had the kinds of feelings associated with Taliek until he began hitting his free throws and Senior year Dyson who was also asked to do too much.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think this will change. I think you'll start to see them not backing down either by the end of th season or definitely next season.
@AmoreCourant: Daniel Hamilton: "we let the crowd get to us." #UConn

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
NwZqjsk.jpg

Reaction Score
Boat said it, they had a lay up line and no one fought. I hate that more than anything. Get beat but when a team is having WAY too much fun on your time you let them know it's unacceptable. Sorry but someone will get fouled real hard when you're going in for a crowd pleaser inside of one minute - and too bad for you! Not on my dime

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Boat said it, they had a lay up line and no one fought. I hate that more than anything. Get beat but when a team is having WAY too much fun on your time you let them know it's unacceptable. Sorry but someone will get fouled real hard when you're going in for a crowd pleaser inside of one minute - and too bad for you! Not on my dime

As a competitor nothing is better than breaking your opponent's will to compete. As a fan of the broken team, nothing is more frustrating to watch.

Reaction Score

What's interesting is that we have some 'city' kids on this team. OC,TS, KF and of course Boat. You would think that they would have the heart of a fighter like our past 'city' kids had. The list of UConn street players is long and all never backed down from a fight (i.e. game). That was a big reason we did so well in the BE. Not sure why they got punked but that certainly is not UConn bball.

Reaction Score
Has anyone slow mo'ed the traveling calls to see if it really was traveling? Do you know how many traveling and palming calls could be made? I would think that Rodney and Omar have the bad habit more or less ingrained as it seems to happen so often, wioth the coaches unable to correct it. You know they have tried.

Reaction Score
One of Dhams travels wasnt a travel at all, bad call and Ollie let the officals know it. But the Dham pump fake is not faking anyone out. You have to hit a few threes to get anyone to go for your 25 foot fake.

And Purvis at least once a game steps back out of bounds on a drive to the lane. Its unreal he has done it like 4 games in a row now.

Reaction Score
One of Dhams travels wasnt a travel at all, bad call and Ollie let the officals know it. But the Dham pump fake is not faking anyone out. You have to hit a few threes to get anyone to go for your 25 foot fake.

And Purvis at least once a game steps back out of bounds on a drive to the lane. Its unreal he has done it like 4 games in a row now.

Rewound the travel call 2X and it wasn't close. That ref was an absolute stiff to make that call. Didn't look it in fast motion and was more than proven in slo mo. Not so sure Omar's was either, refs were pitiful, high schoolish.

I will disagree on DHams pump fake, it's worked when he doesn't go too fast. It can't be one move as we know, he needs to show the ball to make it work and when he does he gets some bites for sure.

Reaction Score
Maybe I forgot what traveling was but as you start to push the ball down to the floor to dribble you can take a step. In most of the calls our guys move the upper body first like a fake without moving their feet which should be OK as long as their feet and arms move together next.

Reaction Score
Maybe I forgot what traveling was but as you start to push the ball down to the floor to dribble you can take a step. In most of the calls our guys move the upper body first like a fake without moving their feet which should be OK as long as their feet and arms move together next.

If you watch the NBA and even a lot of college basketball it's easy to forget what traveling actually is. They don't call it hardly ever anymore so it's amazing when they actually get it wrong by calling it. Guys are always hopping back off the pass, to get behind the 3 point line with out the use of the dribble and it's never called - it'a travel. How many times you see guys come off a pick on the perimeter and and hop a step or 2 before getting in the offensive position to do something with the ball? It's not really called all that much - NBA on the other hand is just a joke. Used to be laughable on 3 steps now there's plenty of 4 steppers.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nic Moore's extended celebration after making a 3 when up by 20 or so points had me wishing the whole bench would clear and clobber him. Speaking of benches, back when it was still a close contest, I saw one of the SMU reserves run on to the court during a live play and nothing was called. To quote their fanbase, "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!"

Reaction Score
Bazz is the king when it comes to looking like he traveled right after he catches a rebound or secures a loose ball in the open floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom