Boatright has more control than me | The Boneyard

Boatright has more control than me

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
boat played 1 of his worst game of his entire uconn career.
uconn has no 1 to blame but themselves.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Since bizlaw liked your post I will respond.

Yes he had a bad game. He also got abused with no calls... and at the end of two shot clocks took calls that were terrible.

Reaction Score
How he was fouled combined with the calls against him I would have burned the place to the ground before I left

I don't think Ollie helped him out enough as usual. Hell the SMU bench called the first 4 fouls of the game with the illegal screen BS.

Reaction Score
If Kevin Ollie is going to stand there and not work the officials than the bad calls won't stop.

If Ollie is anywhere near as passive on the recruiting trail as he is on the sidelines with the refs than that explains an awful lot.

Calhoun being a threatening animal to the officials is a big reason we have 2 additional banners in Gampel.

Reaction Score
The first one was absolutely killer - clean steal when a big dribbled into his space and we had a breakaway to cut it to three. In fairness, Purvis fouled earlier in the possession when the ball went o/b, but I'd have at least liked the extra 20 seconds.

The Moore jumping sideways one was just comedy. Defensive player is typically entitled to the space that his body is occupying.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We were on a 16-5 run with Boat out. He was shooting horribly before the injury. Purivs took out Kennedy on his own. Purv was leading the team, bumping up the pace. SMU was rattled and ready for the kill. Boat came back in, immediately took an ill conceived 3 pt shot, two of his three fouls were just dumb. Tempo slowed, we stopped attacking, Purv lost his rhythm and it was downhill from there.

I know it's heresy to say so, but while Boat got us to within spitting distance of the summit, he kept us from planting a flag at the peak.

Have at me all you want. IMO, it would've been smart for KO to keep Boat on the bench until the play on the court made it necessary to bring him back in. At the time it wasn't.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Boat. possibly his last career game that anyone will care about and he plays horribly.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Early in the game, Boat was deliberately punched in the face and the guy pretended he didn't know what was going on. But, if a guy drops to floor right next to you, don't you at least turn your head to see what happened. He didn't turn his head because he knew what happened.
He swung his arm down with as much force as possible hoping for a direct hit on Boatright while simultaneously pretending that he was just turning to head up the floor. But this is on Ollie again. He should have called a timeout and demanded a replay.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
QUOTE="osully, post: 1259872, member: 5572"]I feel bad for Boat. possibly his last career game that anyone will care about and he plays horribly.[/QUOTE]
He played the first half with a concussion.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I love Boat as we all do, but he was awful today and played dumb. I never understood the comparisons to Kemba and 'Bazz. He's a perfect Robin to a Batman.

Reaction Score
When he came back in after the shoulder injury he made a number of bad decisions. I had no problem with any of the 3 late foul calls against him. Late in the shot clock, you have to avoid those. Have to.

Boat has the heart of a lion, and had a great year, but he does not have the decision making skills that other great UConn point guards have had. Period. Am I mad at him that he had a bad game today, coming off the effort he expended this week and the brutal beating he got today? No, absolutely not. But it would be pretending to say he had anything less than a really bad game today.

Reaction Score
Early in the game, Boat was deliberately punched in the face and the guy pretended he didn't know what was going on. But, if a guy drops to floor right next to you, don't you at least turn your head to see what happened. He didn't turn his head because he knew what happened.
He swung his arm down with as much force as possible hoping for a direct hit on Boatright while simultaneously pretending that he was just turning to head up the floor. But this is on Ollie again. He should have called a timeout and demanded a replay.

Thank you, thank you. I not only believe it was deliberate, I believe it was pre planned. I don't think Larry Brown planned it, but it wasn't an accident. Boatright wasn't himself after that. Just once I'd like to see Ollie show up the refs and get their attention if not their respect. I never will understand why, when a player has obviously decked with no foul, it isn't automatic to look at the Monitor.

Reaction Score
storrsroars said:
We were on a 16-5 run with Boat out. He was shooting horribly before the injury. Purivs took out Kennedy on his own. Purv was leading the team, bumping up the pace. SMU was rattled and ready for the kill. Boat came back in, immediately took an ill conceived 3 pt shot, two of his three fouls were just dumb. Tempo slowed, we stopped attacking, Purv lost his rhythm and it was downhill from there. I know it's heresy to say so, but while Boat got us to within spitting distance of the summit, he kept us from planting a flag at the peak. Have at me all you want. IMO, it would've been smart for KO to keep Boat on the bench until the play on the court made it necessary to bring him back in. At the time it wasn't.

I'll have at you for making stuff up out of thin air. We were down 11 when Boat came back in and the 3 he missed was our 7th possession after he returned. In between he fed Purvis three times - one made three, one missed three, one travel. We trimmed six more points off the lead which could have been more but he didn't get the and one (correctly) and was denied a breakaway (incorrectly).

You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly. I love Boat as we all do, but he was awful today and played dumb. I never understood the comparisons to Kemba and 'Bazz. He's a perfect Robin to a Batman.

Quick case for Boat:

Let's see 'bazz without Boat. Let's see Kemba without Shabazz.

If he had that kind of support this season we wouldn't be parsing this issues.

Reaction Score
87% of all facts are made up on the fly

I would like to see the Boat head hit a few more times. It is amazing that the refs did not go to the monitor.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't think it was one of his worst based on the fact that he got punched in the first few minutes and received little support in the 1st half. He's had some real bad games in prior years - this is probably his worst this year
The team lost some heartbreakers early in the year and never recovered
We have seen good UConn teams blowup in the past but 4 championships in 15 years is nothing to sulk about or forget

Reaction Score
We were on a 16-5 run with Boat out. He was shooting horribly before the injury. Purivs took out Kennedy on his own. Purv was leading the team, bumping up the pace. SMU was rattled and ready for the kill. Boat came back in, immediately took an ill conceived 3 pt shot, two of his three fouls were just dumb. Tempo slowed, we stopped attacking, Purv lost his rhythm and it was downhill from there.

I know it's heresy to say so, but while Boat got us to within spitting distance of the summit, he kept us from planting a flag at the peak.

Have at me all you want. IMO, it would've been smart for KO to keep Boat on the bench until the play on the court made it necessary to bring him back in. At the time it wasn't.
It is easy to come to your conclusion now that we have all seen it with our eyes. But, I disagree that you keep RB out at that point in time. I believe the best strategy and KO's also, is you pick your horses and ride them. And RB if he is healthy, is one of your horses. Best example of not doing so is the super bowl decision by Pete Caroll, to not go with what has worked all season. Again, it is hard to disagree with your opinion knowing the outcome. But making such a decision at that moment requires some, ahem, onions.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll have at you for making stuff up out of thin air. We were down 11 when Boat came back in and the 3 he missed was our 7th possession after he returned. In between he fed Purvis three times - one made three, one missed three, one travel. We trimmed six more points off the lead which could have been more but he didn't get the and one (correctly) and was denied a breakaway (incorrectly).

You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

OK to call me out on fact checking. I got the 16-5 from the announcers and was not sure what time Boat re-entered game. Turns out he left at 12:24 when they were down 17 and returned at 9:18 when they were down 11. So in his absence, SMU went scoreless while AB had 2 blocks, Purv had 2 layups and 2 FTs from trying a third, while drawing 4th fouls on both Kennedy and Ben Moore. A 6-0 run for Boat's absence as part of an overall 16-5 run.

But I'll stick with my opinion that with the tempo change, Boat should've stayed on the bench until SMU responded. IMO the team was playing great without him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want to see what happened to him at the beginning of the game (unfortunately. being there I did not get much of a view of his getting clocked under the basket and they did not show a replay of what happened). He was down for a good amount of time and a blow to the head such as what he took could very well be the culprit as to why he was off.

The officials were horrendous. It reminded me of the 1994 (post '93 seson) Orange Bowl when the refs were determined to give FSU a national title regardless of what actually happened on the field of play. Everything that may have been 50/50 was called against us, about 40% of what was clearly an SMU foul was called against us and many SMU fouls (and a few walks) were ignored. Once we made it a game (with a bit less than four minutes left) the refs said "enough of this" and the outcome was history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom