Blue/White Scrimmage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blue/White Scrimmage

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This team will be tested early and often during a time when it will be working out a lot of wrinkles. The shmoes on the board will pound their chest and bemoan this and that. The usual suspects will emerge from their national championship hibernation to resume their roles as board irritants. The counterpointers will stand vigilant and tit for tat them.

Time will pass.

March will come. We'll be under seeded. The bandwagon will have shed some fleas. We'll get hot, the fleas will jump back on like we were never itchy.

The CBB community at large will groan. How do they get so lucky?

And so it goes.

caw

Reaction Score
That's a fair statement. You pointed out one player, who was never an NBA athlete, who came in and took over a team in certain ways from day one. On the other hand, my list of all americans and high draft choices who didn't is still there. So I fully agree that nothing is impossible. But where do you think the smart money is?

I just have to think you took my post the wrong way.

I’m not sure how you did but you need to read it as emphasizing how Khalid was the only UConn freshman to take over in the last 25 years. And agreeing it didn’t matter a ton bc of Newton and Spencer.

I have to think you added tone that wasn’t there.

Reaction Score
How does Stewart look? He didn't play in the international games so just wondering how he is doing.
Don't know if his interview from a few days ago was posted ? But he said he lost around 30lbs because he felt sluggish, worked on his diet and he was at 195lbs when he got to Storrs, which was noticeable. He said he's gained back muscle and is now up to around 220lbs.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the ever part. While Calhoun was 99% coachspeak, Hurley is much less so. If Castle was killing it, I bet he'd say something to that effect. But I'm not concerned, it's a process.
You are correct. I was surprised at how direct and open Hurley was with the fans at the scrimmage. He answered a lot of questions and didn't dodge any of them with coach-speak. His comments were consistent with what I saw on the court. It clear that Castle is a tremendous talent but needs to step up his intensity. He tended to jog up and down the court. At one point, Hurley was chasing him up the court, pushing him to go 100%. After the scrimmage, Hurley answered a question about Castle. He compared Castle to a Big East one-and-done from last year. Hurley said, "we don't need a XXX XXXXXXX. That's why we need to coach all of the bad out of him now."

Reaction Score
Don't know if his interview from a few days ago was posted ? But he said he lost around 30lbs because he felt sluggish, worked on his diet and he was at 195lbs when he got to Storrs, which was noticeable. He said he's gained back muscle and is now up to around 220lbs.
Stewart looked to be in excellent shape. He did struggle and didn't feel comfortable in the offense. Hurley admitted that he and Ross were a bit behind. He said both of them needed to be more aggressive. Stewart and Ross are probably battling for the final spot in the 9-man rotation based on Hurley's comments.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Stewart looked to be in excellent shape. He did struggle and didn't feel comfortable in the offense. Hurley admitted that he and Ross were a bit behind. He said both of them needed to be more aggressive. Stewart and Ross are probably battling for the final spot in the 9-man rotation based on Hurley's comments.
Post/Handle?

pj

Reaction Score
You should pay no attention whatsoever to what a coach in any sport has to say, ever. They don’t say things for purposes of their truth — why would you waste your time analyzing their speech as if you could believe them even if you understood them.

Having said that, you can take the Seth Greenberg analysis as meaning that, at least based on one scrimmage, Castle isn’t ready today to take the team on his shoulders and star in early October. You know who else wasn’t ready to carry the team at the start of their true freshmen seasons? Rip, Ray, Ben Gordon, Okafor, Shabazz, Kemba, as well as more recently Hawkins and Jackson. Our expectations for him are that he comes and has a more of an impact as a true freshman than anyone we’ve ever had. Maybe that will happen. Or maybe he’ll have an important, positive impact as he grows into college ball without playing like he’s ready for the NBA from day one. Or maybe isn’t nearly the college ready prospect many think.

Time will tell. But if you want to worry, I’d spend more time worrying about DC’s foot.

What I take is that Hurley guided Seth Greenberg in what to say in this video, and Hurley asked him not to discuss Castle. It is motivation - you haven't earned praise or publicity yet, you have more work to do, keep working. It's fine, Castle will be a starter, it's the guys who will be coming off the bench or maybe not even in the rotation who can benefit most from motivation by publicity and praise. We can see who Hurley wants to praise - Samson and Jayden Ross are the first mentions and highest praise. Ross will probably not get much playing time but Hurley wants him to know his future is bright. Samson, the team's fate hangs on his improvement more than anyone else. Whatever gets him along the fastest is critical to the team.

Reaction Score
This team will be tested early and often during a time when it will be working out a lot of wrinkles. The shmoes on the board will pound their chest and bemoan this and that. The usual suspects will emerge from their national championship hibernation to resume their roles as board irritants. The counterpointers will stand vigilant and tit for tat them.

Time will pass.

March will come. We'll be under seeded. The bandwagon will have shed some fleas. We'll get hot, the fleas will jump back on like we were never itchy.

And so it goes.

You, my friend, have won the internet for today with this post. Bravo!

Reaction Score
You are correct. I was surprised at how direct and open Hurley was with the fans at the scrimmage. He answered a lot of questions and didn't dodge any of them with coach-speak. His comments were consistent with what I saw on the court. It clear that Castle is a tremendous talent but needs to step up his intensity. He tended to jog up and down the court. At one point, Hurley was chasing him up the court, pushing him to go 100%. After the scrimmage, Hurley answered a question about Castle. He compared Castle to a Big East one-and-done from last year. Hurley said, "we don't need a XXX XXXXXXX. That's why we need to coach all of the bad out of him now."

Did he actually say the name that rhymes with "Bit Smore"?

And the visual of Hurley chasing Castle up the court makes me smile profusely.

Reaction Score
Saw the video. I meant in the scrimmage but thanks anyway kind sir.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
UConn runs one of the most complicated systems for a new guard to learn, period. Let alone a freshman. The offense is built around running sets on sets on sets (on sets on sets) that take months to perfect and Castle also has to get used to the game plan not being geared to simply putting the ball in his hands and making something happen.

The defensive intensity has been a leap up even for veteran players transferring from teams that played in the NCAA tournament the year before, and the work ethic and culture needed to survive practice alone day in and day out are legendary.

Last year around this time, the whispers were that UConn had everything but a point guard with Newton trying to make all of these leaps from another college. It took Tristen about half a season to really get it, but the last time we saw him he was the best damn guard on the court in the National Championship game.

Steph will be just fine, he’s taking a Masters class as a freshman. But he’s got the best professors in the country teaching it.
There is a lot of wisdom in that one line. And there is a lot of talent all around so there is not an undue amount of pressure for him to carry this team. I hope he develops on defense. At his size that could be really disruptive and lead to transition runouts.

Reaction Score
Did he actually say the name that rhymes with "Bit Smore"?

And the visual of Hurley chasing Castle up the court makes me smile profusely.
Yes, he did. He was surprisingly candid considering the audience.

Castle is clearly an exceptional talent. He rebounded well. His ability to penetrate is really good. this helps him create shots on the perimeter. Defenders were clearly concerned when he put the ball on the floor, so he could just back up and shoot. His passing ability might be the strongest part of his game but he needs to make better decisions. He made a couple of passes that were outstanding but also threw a couple of ill-advised ones away.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My wife and I were able to attend Saturday’s scrimmage here’s my take

-Best I’ve ever seen Hassan Diarra, in control of the sets and aggressive to the rim. Made some incredible buckets at the tin. Also hit a huge three late. I talked to him afterwards and we spoke at length about steps he needs to take to become a leader for this team. He wants it.
-Castle looks like a man relative to the other guards but he may need some time to settle in. The coaches were particularly tough on him but at the end of it, always out their arms around him and showed him what to do
-Solo Ball oozes silent assassin, not scared of the moments and wants the ball. Man, is he an athlete.
-Spencer and Newton hit a bunch of threes. Newton was on fire. Incredible.
-Samson is definitely more confident, they ran some sets to get him above the rim, defense is improving— rebounding will be key.
-Yosef had 3-4 steals, and at one point Hurley said “why does he keep stealing the ball?!”
Giggety

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Appreciate the analysis from Greenberg. Is he that busy in the offseason that he couldn't sit down for 90 seconds to do that? Lol. He's all out of breath trying to talk.
yeah i thought he was going to pass out. then when the vehicle got louder I half expected it to plow into him. I've watched too many "wait til the end" videos.

Reaction Score
Yes, he did. He was surprisingly candid considering the audience.

Castle is clearly an exceptional talent. He rebounded well. His ability to penetrate is really good. this helps him create shots on the perimeter. Defenders were clearly concerned when he put the ball on the floor, so he could just back up and shoot. His passing ability might be the strongest part of his game but he needs to make better decisions. He made a couple of passes that were outstanding but also threw a couple of ill-advised ones away.
This is consistent with what I saw at this summer’s open practice. He got to the hoop very well, he just didn’t finish all of the shots. He threw some passes that only the best players make. He is physically ready for Division 1 hoops, even if the defense wasn’t flawless. So, while he didn’t dominate the scrimmage, it was clear the upside is there. I trust this staff to help him get there.

Reaction Score
My wife and I were able to attend Saturday’s scrimmage here’s my take

-Best I’ve ever seen Hassan Diarra, in control of the sets and aggressive to the rim. Made some incredible buckets at the tin. Also hit a huge three late. I talked to him afterwards and we spoke at length about steps he needs to take to become a leader for this team. He wants it.
-Castle looks like a man relative to the other guards but he may need some time to settle in. The coaches were particularly tough on him but at the end of it, always out their arms around him and showed him what to do
-Solo Ball oozes silent assassin, not scared of the moments and wants the ball. Man, is he an athlete.
-Spencer and Newton hit a bunch of threes. Newton was on fire. Incredible.
-Samson is definitely more confident, they ran some sets to get him above the rim, defense is improving— rebounding will be key.
-Yosef had 3-4 steals, and at one point Hurley said “why does he keep stealing the ball?!”

If Hass is gonna bring the heat this year…man it could be a special, special season.

We have an embarassment of riches for talent. Hurley & Co. best in the biz at modern roster construction & maintenance

Reaction Score

Time will pass.

And so it goes.
And for the 6th time people around the country will say, "They are making another lucky run!" o, "Would you rather be irrelevant through the regular season and have a lucky run? or be dominant all the way to the end?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom