Blue Chip Ratio and National Champions | The Boneyard

Blue Chip Ratio and National Champions

Reaction Score
Bud Elliot coined the term Blue-Chip Ratio.... he found that every National Champion had recruited, at the minimum, 50-percent four-star and five-star recruits over the previous four classes.

The numbers have held true throughout the internet recruiting rankings era. This past season, all four College Football Playoff teams had a ratio above 50%

Eleven of the top fifteen teams in the final Top 25 had a mark over 50%.

At the very top in college football, stars count.

It would be interesting to have someone do a similar review for basketball.

Reaction Score
Soooo....why waste your time responding?

But I understand that to some, if it isn't relevant, than ZZZZ.

Oh ! Maybe you like typing your avatar and I didn't recognize how that it is your philosophy...the joke is on me, I guess.

To others...it is just confirmation of what we knew...stars count

Reaction Score
Stars matter for programs competing for P5 Conference/national championships. Anyone claiming otherwise is either jaded or foolish. That said their relevance means a lot less to programs like Uconn that recruit in the 75 to 120 range. Uconn and programs like them need to succeed based on player development and coaching. The talent differential between a Bowling Green and Middle Tennessee is marginal at best. The program that performs better between the two is developing their talent and coaching to a higher level. I'm not sure what discussion the OP was looking to start regarding stars, as I doubt many here really believe otherwise.

Reaction Score
I have seen so many opinions that stars really don't mean that much...I think that they do.

I do understand the UConn relevancy argument...(vs P5)...but I maintain that stars are still important for G5 teams. They may be as like to differentiate between the top of G5 and lesser ranked P5/G5 teams as they differentiate rankings of P5 teams.

Of course, one would have to put some value in the ability of organizations like Rivals to accurately grade talent.

And of course there will be development of under ranked kids, over ranked fails, etc....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom