Blue-blood programs in trouble | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blue-blood programs in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be confident of that. We are not playing in the Old Big East anymore. 9-7 would not be a strong finish. IMHO 22-10 would leave us as a bubble team, more likely than not on the outside looking in.
Depends on what the 9 wins and 9 loses represent...right now 1 ok loss, l bad loss. 9-9 would be ugly in the AAC on paper but if it includes Memphis, L'ville, Cincy, SMU wins not so bad....who knows but I don't want to find out. 11-7 or better is still in reach.

Reaction Score
No one is disputing that. The fact is, we did. The question now is whether it means the end of UConn basketball as we know it (as many here seem to believe) or not. I think Upstater's point is that Houston, while far from a powerhouse, may not be the Little Sisters of the Poor either.

Whether or not some people on here are predicting the demise of UConn basketball is irrelevant. The point is that UConn - given the conference schedule they play - doesn't have a lot of room to mess around in building a tournament resume. While in prior years they would have a host of opportunities to bank some marquee wins those opportunities are few and far between this year, and losing games to mediocre teams like Houston doesn't help. They have one marquee win as of right now.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
And what is Kansas' odds? That team with 4 losses, including to a team we beat, and San Diego State at home. So tired of this crap.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And what is Kansas' odds? That team with 4 losses, including to a team we beat, and San Diego State at home. So tired of this crap.
ESPN would never let Andrew Wiggins not make the NCAA Tournament. They're going to lobby for KU to be in until Selection Sunday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ESPN would never let Andrew Wiggins not make the NCAA Tournament. They're going to lobby for KU to be in until Selection Sunday.

So am I, since I went to both schools. Both are safe. KU blew out a ranked K-State team and UConn blew out UCF. All is right with the world. KU is wickedly young, and is therefore inconsistent. UConn will win enough in the AAC. I see three, worst case four, losses the rest of the way.

Reaction Score

Kansas' resume is unquestionably better than ours at this point in the season. They played an absurdly difficult non-conference schedule - Florida, Duke, Villanova, Georgetown, New Mexico, San Diego State, and Colorado (every one of those teams would be in the tournament if the season ended today) - and they've already beaten two very good teams in conference.

Reaction Score

ESPN doesn't broadcast the tournament. They get just as much mileage out of Wiggins missing it. I hope you don't actually believe half the stuff you post.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't broadcast the tournament. They get just as much mileage out of Wiggins missing it. I hope you don't actually believe half the stuff you post.
That's why I said their going to lobby for him to make it. They're going to lobby for all the super-freshman to make the tournament and project them to go far.

Reaction Score
That's why I said their going to lobby for him to make it. They're going to lobby for all the super-freshman to make the tournament and project them to go far.

I gotta say I'm curious: why do you think ESPN, which doesn't broadcast the tournament, is going to "lobby" for Wiggins to make the tournament?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I gotta say I'm curious: why do you think ESPN, which doesn't broadcast the tournament, is going to "lobby" for Wiggins to make the tournament?
Have you not watched any ESPN this year? Every 45 seconds they bring up either Wiggins, Parker, Aaron Gordon, or Julius Randle.

Reaction Score
But ESPN has the NIT, wouldn't they rather have Wiggins there?

Reaction Score
Have you not watched any ESPN this year? Every 45 seconds they bring up either Wiggins, Parker, Aaron Gordon, or Julius Randle.
See how many stories ESPN posts about ARod who is never playing professional baseball again. Wiggins making the tourney doesn't matter to them and thinking or caring that a fix is afoot is a colossal waste of time.

The tin foil espn conspiracy theorists have really run amuck here. I'm almost surprised there isn't a tin foil hat on the new husky logo. Even with the tin foil plastering your brains & homes, watching less espn might cure all of your ills.

Reaction Score
Take it however you want but it seems Vegas has UConn at 50/1 to win the NCAA Championship right now. While those aren't great odds it would seem they're certainly not representative of a team that won't even make the tournament. I'll take Vegas' predictions over just about any internet analyst.

Reaction Score

You can't be this dense. Why would they be lobbying for him to be in the tournament? They don't broadcast the tournament. They can get just as much run out of him not making the tournament. So explain your theory that ESPN is going to "lobby" for Wiggins to be in the tournament.

Reaction Score
See how many stories ESPN posts about ARod who is never playing professional baseball again. Wiggins making the tourney doesn't matter to them and thinking or caring that a fix is afoot is a colossal waste of time.

The tin foil espn conspiracy theorists have really run amuck here. I'm almost surprised there isn't a tin foil hat on the new husky logo. Even with the tin foil plastering your brains & homes, watching less espn might cure all of your ills.
Tuned in to ESPN College Gameday last Saturday. The subject was the hyping and under-achieving freshman. Bilas said something like this: "it is not totally our fault (as media) that the players are over-hyped (in some cases), it is the NCAA who tells us who to showcase"

Caught me off-guard. If anyone has a video replay of that show, they can confirm what I believe was said. Again, I stumbled on that part of the segment so do not know the exact quote or context.

Reaction Score
Tuned in to ESPN College Gameday last Saturday. The subject was the hyping and under-achieving freshman. Bilas said something like this: "it is not totally our fault (as media) that the players are over-hyped (in some cases), it is the NCAA who tells us who to showcase"

Caught me off-guard. If anyone has a video replay of that show, they can confirm what I believe was said. Again, I stumbled on that part of the segment so do not know the exact quote or context.
I assume the NCAA issues a media guide to press much like teams do. I'd guess Dook is on page 1 every year. It certainly helps the NCAA to pimp the freshman and it'll be interesting if one of those teams is a bubble team. Media might be tacitly complicit in all of the NCAA's hypocrisy but I distinguish that from a conspiracy especially against a team. More a byproduct of the bs amateur cover story to mask dollar$ priority.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wiggins had a nice game last night against Iowa State (BOOOO!!!!!!) with 17 pts and 19 rebounds. To say this Kansas team is young is an understatement. We start a Jr., a Soph and 3 freshmen. The team is now 3-0 in conference with two of those wins being on the road. Kansas will be fine.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Wiggins had a nice game last night against Iowa State (BOOOO!!!!!!) with 17 pts and 19 rebounds. To say this Kansas team is young is an understatement. We start a Jr., a Soph and 3 freshmen. The team is now 3-0 in conference with two of those wins being on the road. Kansas will be fine.

That was a very nice win for Kansas last night. Last 3 games have really turned things around and they are looking much better. That Embiid seems to get better and better every time I see him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We took the exact same set up to a National Championship.

Granted, we had Kemba.

Reaction Score
Even when KU was losing they had the look of a team capable of cutting down nets. So much talent, and they'll be battle tested. Two freshmen in the conversation to go first overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom