Blue-blood programs in trouble | The Boneyard

Blue-blood programs in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
So I guess the Kansas win over a not that great Duke team is more than enough for them?

Reaction Score
I'm so confused. Does Joe Lunardi get a vote during Tourney Selection weekend? Do they refer to his brackets? What 'useful' purpose does his Bracketology serve?

Reaction Score
So I guess the Kansas win over a not that great Duke team is more than enough for them?

Do you have any sense of what conference Kansas plays in? I think Lunardi's point is that UConn is not going to have that many opportunities to bolster their resume from here on out, and so a sub-par record in this trash pile conference is not going to get it done. Kansas plays - and has played - a murderous schedule.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are 13-3 with 16+ games left. He thinks we aren't going at least 9-7.

I thought Harvard was a tourney team, Florida's in the top freaking ten. I also, thought being in a mid major meant you only needed one good win before the media types started fawning over such one and done tourney teams.

I'm pretty sure 22-10 gets us in.

Reaction Score

It's not crazy. What games on the schedule do you have penciled in as guaranteed wins? I have zero. They lost to a depleted Houston team, holmes. If they beat UCF (no guarantee) and then lose to Memphis and Louisville they're sitting at 1-4 in the conference.

Also, he's not saying they're going to miss the tournament. He's picking them as a traditionally strong program in potential trouble. I don't think that's controversial.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Do you have any sense of what conference Kansas plays in? I think Lunardi's point is that UConn is not going to have that many opportunities to bolster their resume from here on out, and so a sub-par record in this trash pile conference is not going to get it done. Kansas plays - and has played - a murderous schedule.

True, but they do need to get their act together. The fact that the Big 12 is really good this year might actually work against them. Having a tough schedule and playing in a good conference doesn't help if you don't win.

Reaction Score
Who cares what the content of the article says, ESPN is calling us a blue blood.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Hey, we're a Blue Blood! Someone finally noticed! Of course it was done in a negative light but I'll take the compliment.

Reaction Score
Houston also just lost by 1 to a Cincy team that blew out Memphis. Houston has not had a stellar OOC, but who knows, they might be improving. Last year Joseph Young hogged the ball. It's taken awhile, but maybe players like Stiggers are stepping up.

Reaction Score
Houston also just lost by 1 to a Cincy team that blew out Memphis. Houston has not had a stellar OOC, but who knows, they might be improving. Last year Joseph Young hogged the ball. It's taken awhile, but maybe players like Stiggers are stepping up.

I know you love these transitive property posts, but they shouldn't have lost to Houston. End of story.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know you love these transitive property posts, but they shouldn't have lost to Houston. End of story.
No one is disputing that. The fact is, we did. The question now is whether it means the end of UConn basketball as we know it (as many here seem to believe) or not. I think Upstater's point is that Houston, while far from a powerhouse, may not be the Little Sisters of the Poor either.

Reaction Score

There is no transitive property at work here. They are a team in our conference. They will play many teams in the conference and be mediocre. In the context of this thread, a road loss to them hurts a little but it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'll pay 3 bucks a month to read a website punch my Alma mater in the balls repeatedly. Only mention us as an elite program when discussing elite programs that won't make the tourney? Go to hell.

Reaction Score
I need ESPN to tell me we're a Blue Blood about as much as I need Lunardi to tell me that we're in trouble this season. Neither one is a revelation.
finally someone gets it

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's not crazy. What games on the schedule do you have penciled in as guaranteed wins? I have zero. They lost to a depleted Houston team, holmes. If they beat UCF (no guarantee) and then lose to Memphis and Louisville they're sitting at 1-4 in the conference.

Also, he's not saying they're going to miss the tournament. He's picking them as a traditionally strong program in potential trouble. I don't think that's controversial.
I suppose that nothing is penciled in, wins or losses. If that's the case then we are debating an article that is premature. I'll follow the remainder of the season. We should have an answer in 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
There is no transitive property at work here. They are a team in our conference. They will play many teams in the conference and be mediocre. In the context of this thread, a road loss to them hurts a little but it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

It's a "big deal" in the sense that this team plays a in a horrible conference and needs to put up a strong record in that conference. They don't have much of a margin for error. This is not the Big East circa 2011 where .500 is going to cut it.

Reaction Score
So what did they say about UConn. I don't subscribe to that bs.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's a "big deal" in the sense that this team plays a in a horrible conference and needs to put up a strong record in that conference. They don't have much of a margin for error. This is not the Big East circa 2011 where .500 is going to cut it.
If we go .500 in this conference we don't deserve to get in.

Reaction Score
Is Louisville a Blue Blood?...guess not, because they should be in trouble as well.

Not including the result of Memphis game tonight, I can't understand why they are ranked #12 (or even ranked). Awful OOC schedule, lost to the 2 best teams they played...KY, UNC. Best win is Southern Miss otherwise other 12 wins are almost meaningless. I guess they have no bad losses so that's why they remain ranked but really unimpressive so far.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

I thought Harvard was a tourney team, Florida's in the top freaking ten. I also, thought being in a mid major meant you only needed one good win before the media types started fawning over such one and done tourney teams.

I'm pretty sure 22-10 gets us in.
I wouldn't be confident of that. We are not playing in the Old Big East anymore. 9-7 would not be a strong finish. IMHO 22-10 would leave us as a bubble team, more likely than not on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'll pay 3 bucks a month to read a website punch my Alma mater in the balls repeatedly. Only mention us as an elite program when discussing elite programs that won't make the tourney? Go to hell.

You should probably lighten up a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom