Blowout City- KO soft | The Boneyard

Blowout City- KO soft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of the young BY clowns will look at it differently and I'm only 33. That was a humiliation. KO doesn't argue calls/fight for players and let's refs dictate the pace/officiating of these games. No balls. Hopefully he does more moving forward because I know Shonn Miller gives it all.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ollie deserves one more year, but he's been awful against the top coaches in the league.

Reaction Score
SCJ in the 1st wave of subs...DOOMED

KO is absolutely clueless with his rotations at this juncture in the season
Don't get me started on rotations. We're playing one of the best team in the nation and he goes to Sam and Phil early in a must win (or do good) game. What does he actually think they will contribute when inserted down several points?

Reaction Score
Coach Calhoun needs to have a sit down with coach Ollie. There needs to be staff changes this offseason, this clearly isn't working.

I really hope this happens sooner than later. Calhoun needs to school Ollie real bad on this season. It'd be interested to watch a game on tv with Calhoun and a beer and listen to his rants and critiques on Ollie's decision making. There's a guy who would know what he's talking about

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I really hope this happens sooner than later. Calhoun needs to school Ollie real bad on this season. It'd be interested to watch a game on tv with Calhoun and a beer and listen to his rants and critiques on Ollie's decision making. There's a guy who would know what he's talking about

It's not just in-game coaching.

Practices must be abysmal. Most of the player decisions are a result of what is considered acceptable in practice.

Reaction Score
The toughest part for me besides how painful this team is to watch, is to watch them not give a flying fk the other team is laughing and throwing passes off the backboard without a care. knock someone down, have some pride, guts and balls. Teams with pride don't allow showtime without paying for it or shall I say a hard foul?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ollie deserves one more year, but he's been awful against the top coaches in the league.
One more year? No way. At least a couple more to see what he can do when he has a flood of talent and iq. I'm really glad Ollie won that NC, but people act like he's been coaching for a decade or two

Reaction Score
KO should have gotten Td up in the first half when it was still close and Kennedy took 4 steps on 2 different plays on the same possession. At least Miller got Td up. At least Purvis pushed that guy on one of their 20 alley oops. Some people care.

Reaction Score
JC used to punch his players, we need that back even though KO will never be that kind of coach.

Reaction Score
I am not mad if we compete. We can all remember games or seasons where we come up short but we can hang our heads high that we were outplayed but gave 100%. We are not even competing or giving our best effort - coaches or players. It is just baffling how they refuse to adapt. KO refuses to make a statement. I would have fouled SMU every possession just to prove a point, or take all the starters out down 30.
Is KO afraid to be disliked?? He is doing a disservice to these guys by not pushing them and prepping them for the NBA - none of these guys are NBA bound.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest what does KO have at his disposal this year? The past four years have been hallmarked by mediocre recruiting with little player development (Facey, Nolan, and Purvis are performing at the same level as they did during their first season of college ball). The players have vastly underperformed and its not because of coaching that they turn the ball over, or miss wide open shots, or lose their man or not get back on defense that's all on the players. They lack toughness they looked scared and confused out there. These guys need an on-court leader to rally the troops.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This blame the refs stuff got old years ago. I appreciate the new twist blaming losses on Ollie not working the refs, but it's silly, and makes the site look like a bunch of whiners. (Not that there's not other reasons the site llooks like a bunch of whiners)

There are several legitimate things to worry about. Ollie working the refs isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This blame the refs stuff got old years ago. I appreciate the new twist blaming losses on Ollie not working the refs, but it's silly, and makes the site looks like a bunch of whiners.

There are several legitimate things to worry about. Ollie working the refs isn't one of them.

It is painfully obvious that KO wants to play modern, dribble drive basketball. We simply don't have the talent to play that way. This team is fatally flawed.

Gibbs is slow and can't penetrate or finish, Purvis can't finish, has a set shot and his handle is weak, Calhoun and Cassell are very limited and Adams is inexperienced.

I fault KO for not finding a way to accentuate our strengths. While I know our roster is a mish mash of parts assembled during a time of recruiting restrictions, it is still a decent group of talent. However, it is a group that needs to run an offense and create easy opportunities. We are watching a bunch of pounding the rock because we can't penetrate and there is no plan b. KO said the offense would run through Miller in the preseason. He abandoned that plan and it concerns me as to why. We can all see that Miller is our best player. Who is running the asylum? Maybe the two guys pounding the rock?

I said from a few games in that we'd go nowhere if Adams didn't lead us there. KO should have seen this immediately. As a PG he should have recognized within 15 minutes of the first scrimmage that Gibbs could not handle the PG duties. Adams should have played right away come hell or high water. Yes, I'll concede, we might have struggled early, but Jalen would be far better right now. It just wasn't going to happen with Gibbs at PG.

For now, KO needs to take the team back. Jalen should play nearly the entire game looking to penetrate and dish or feed Miller. From there Miller makes a move, looks for Gibbs/Purvis for 3 or Hamilton anywhere he is open. Tell DHam he has 3 seconds to shoot, pass or penetrate. Yank him if he doesn't obey. Gibbs needs to shoot or pass. Very little dribbling is required. If he doesn't obey, yank him. The ball needs to move and rock pounders need to sit.

We'll get better when KO has better backcourt/wing talent to work with. We should see a dramatic improvement in ability to create with Larrier and Gilbert out there. They may struggle at first as well, but we'll have the skills to play our style. Hopefully, we'll see that KO knows what he is doing at that point. I have a hard time blaming him for this debacle because I haven't seen the talent to be a complete team on this roster from day one. My greatest concern about KO is he couldn't see that himself.

As far as recruiting goes, I want El Amin and another scoring PG. We need two capable distributing distributing guards on the floor to be wildly successful. We can't be without them. As we enter the Adams/Gilbert era, we need to prepare with the next generation coming in. That is the UCONN formula. A failure to have those two pieces means a lousy season. Always has.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest what does KO have at his disposal this year? The past four years have been hallmarked by mediocre recruiting with little player development (Facey, Nolan, and Purvis are performing at the same level as they did during their first season of college ball). The players have vastly underperformed and its not because of coaching that they turn the ball over, or miss wide open shots, or lose their man or not get back on defense that's all on the players. They lack toughness they looked scared and confused out there. These guys need an on-court leader to rally the troops.
Stop with this. I have been a big KO defender on this board but the fact is that we are probably the most talented team in this league. Who has a better roster on paper? KO has had a god awful year.

Reaction Score
This team is not as talented as we thought. And instead of acknowledging that we have been biase in our evaluation (pre-season) we say it's KO. DHam has a long way to go to play in the NBA. JA is not his mix tapes. Gibbs is not the level of lead guard we are accustom to. Brimah is what he is. RP is who he is (not a Farari).

Who is KO supposed to put in?

Yeah, I don't like his in game demeanor, but that doesn't excuse the above.

We don't have one player who can get to the rim and finish. JA isn't there yet. Miller doesn't dribble drive to the rim.

No on ball hawk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's the players and anyone who doesn't see it is listening to our games by radio. They treated us like baby brother. That is the players fault. The only thing I can think of is that the players just never meshed well throughout the season. In my opinion we have 3 very big problems with 3 important players. Jalen Adams is immature, Sterling Gibbs is not a smart basketball player and plays more to his weaknesses than his one strength and Amidah Brimah has not gotten better offensively. Everyone else I believe is doing an adequate enough job. Those 3 need to step up to change the outcome of our season.

Reaction Score
Trigger warning. This post is not for the sensitive.

I hope I am proved wrong, but I think many of the comments in this thread are batsh&t.
I think a little more time will show that KO is a just bad coach with a bad staff including some cast-offs from other schools. The U should have hired a proven
coach. That is what established programs do and we WERE an established program. If we are to return to the big time, buy out KO's contract. I think he will be a happier man with his money and no pressure.

p.s. I was a BIG fan of KO the college player.

Reaction Score

I hope I am proved wrong, but I think many of the comments in this thread are batsh&t.
I think a little more time will show that KO is a just bad coach with a bad staff including some cast-offs from other schools. The U should have hired a proven
coach. That is what established programs do and we WERE an established program. If we are to return to the big time, buy out KO's contract. I think he will be a happier man with his money and no pressure.

Congrats, Ms. Hyperbole 2016.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

The women's board is over there.

Reaction Score
KO has to take a share of the blame

but the main problem with this team is that they're not any good, and they don't play hard. they go up weak for layups and dunks in the first 5 minutes of the game, get that sent right back in their face, and then they go back to what's easy: contested 3 point shots.

when DHam is supposed to be your best player, you're not a good team

Reaction Score
Adams is a freshman but he will be great. Guaranteed.

I wish we'd seen more of Facey these past two seasons. He plays hard and brings needed energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom