Blogger says..... Addition of ND makes the ACC.... | The Boneyard

Blogger says..... Addition of ND makes the ACC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I concur..... well it's either the ACC or the Big 10

Reaction Score
They will be able to claim both ND FF's. It will make the ACC's last couple of years look less mediocre. But with Duke, UNC next year, MD and ND eventually they will be in the conversation. But there are a lot of ways to define "best". All I really care about is that there will some great games to watch for the next 4 years.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I didn't see the op's claim in the blog, but maybe I missed it. What the blogger said was that the addition of ND was a tremendous boost for ACC WBB and that the conference is among the best conferences, including 2nd by some some measure of tournament success once ND joins. I will pretty much say that it will probably be between the 2nd and 5th best conference going forward, depending how an individual tries to measure it.

There are a number of ways of evaluating conferences, and without ND (and thus with the NC pedigree, as well as the ongoing competion at the highest level year in and out) evaluating the BE will become more problematical, and highly dependent on the futures of Rutgers, Louisville, St. John, DePaul, etc. Even if UConn wins the next 4 national championships (not that I'm hoping), that doesn't translate into defining the conference as any good, simply defines the conference as the one with the best team in it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hard to argue with that. depends on how you judge "best". Most teams in top 10? top 25? top 50? conference RPI? the BE was always very strong at the top with UCONN, RU, ND, L'ville, and lately Georgetown, SJU, WVU at times, and Marquette, but it was horrid at the bottom with Cinci and Providence. Either way the addition of ND to the ACC gives their conference a national power in WCBB...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It should make for an even better ACC tournament :) I might have to start attending games on Thursday and Friday when the new schools are added..

Hard to argue with that. depends on how you judge "best". Most teams in top 10? top 25? top 50? conference RPI? the BE was always very strong at the top with UCONN, RU, ND, L'ville, and lately Georgetown, SJU, WVU at times, and Marquette, but it was horrid at the bottom with Cinci and Providence. Either way the addition of ND to the ACC gives their conference a national power in WCBB...

waitaminute.gif

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We'll see about the ACC.

You have to be kidding about the Big 10.
I was sort of thinking the same thing. OSU has generally been the best team in the Big 10 in the last ... whatever - 10 years or so? And they generally have been awful compared to other "top" teams.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Certainly, based on a snapshot view of today, the ACC has a good number of programs in a position to be solid or better. Not sure how much that matters to any individual school in the conference though. Over the past five years, for instance, the ACC has had nary a team in the Final Four, and the Pac-10/12, despite not being very deep at all, has had representation every year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I was sort of thinking the same thing. OSU has generally been the best team in the Big 10 in the last ... whatever - 10 years or so? And they generally have been awful compared to other "top" teams.
Perhaps he meant Big XII? Which does have only 10 teams...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We'll see about the ACC.

You have to be kidding about the Big 10.

I was being facetious.... forgot to add the :rolleyes:

Ok... Purdue won it all in 1999..... Minnesota made the Final 4 in 2004 :(, and Michigan State made the championship game in 2005... has there been any other Big 10 appearances in the Final 4 since 1993 (Ohio State) ???

Reaction Score
They are right. Pure and simple. They may not have the best team in the country, or even the second-best, but they will be the best conference.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Adding ND will make ACC stronger. Duke, Maryland, UNC, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame some of the top programs. The SEC adds Texas A&M with Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas top to bottom is still the best.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The ACC will be the Dolly Parton league; very top heavy. But the conference may not be the deepest in the country.

The loss of three-time national football champions, TAMU, hurt the strength of the Big 12 power ranking.

Reaction Score
The SEC adds Texas A&M with Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas top to bottom is still the best.

Nice try.
SEC has been weak the last few years. Definitely not the strongest top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Does adding Pitt make the BE stronger or make the ACC weaker?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Certainly, based on a snapshot view of today, the ACC has a good number of programs in a position to be solid or better. Not sure how much that matters to any individual school in the conference though. Over the past five years, for instance, the ACC has had nary a team in the Final Four, and the Pac-10/12, despite not being very deep at all, has had representation every year.

Except with the Pac-10/12, it has been one and only one school - Stanford - that has provided said representation.

Notre Dame was won a national title and has three Final Four appearances this century. With Duke, UNC, and Maryland, the ACC now has significantly greater depth at the top, in terms of national programs.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The shame of it all is that the conferences are so bad at the bottom - really all of them. Even the Big East, while certainly Cinci has made strides, has its bottom feeders and the new teams are problematic, too. I think the Big 12 has come the closest to elevating itself top to bottom, unfortunately I think the top end has "slipped". The BiG actually was moving in that direction, until a couple of schools fell off the map, and at the same time the top end has not elevated itself.

I think the best schools in the Big East and ACC have provided a consistent record of success. And to be fair, the SEC, if not so much the last couple of years. The Big 12 slipping - but not out of it, and the B1G really needing to get over a hump. That's how I see the conferences stacking up. The PAC12 needs to be more than a 3 - 4 team conference before I can start including them with the other conferences.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are eight viable WBB programs the rest don't matter.
Tennessee is one
Baylor is one
Stanford is one
Notre Dame is one
And Uconn is the other four.

Difficult to follow their logic.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The PAC12 needs to be more than a 3 - 4 team conference before I can start including them with the other conferences.

More than a 3-4 team conference?? How bout more than a 1-2 team conference first

Reaction Score
Adding ND will make ACC stronger. Duke, Maryland, UNC, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame some of the top programs. The SEC adds Texas A&M with Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas top to bottom is still the best.
Since when are seven teams considered "top to bottom"?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Since when are seven teams considered "top to bottom"?
I can add Vanderbilt and Florida I see 9 teams in NCAA tournament. Can any other conference do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom