Blocks, fouls, and the POV (UT v SU) | The Boneyard

Blocks, fouls, and the POV (UT v SU)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
... Principle of Verticality. Ok folks, this one bothered me a bit last night. On a few possessions, one in particular, I noticed that Brink had her arms about 20 degrees below vertical on plays, and no fouls called, so here are my Qs.

1 - if she's in position with arms kinda down and you drive up into her, no foul?
2 - if she's in position with arms vertical and lowers them, it's a foul right?
3 - if she's in position and her arms keep moving downward over an opponent and contacts their arms, it's a foul?

NB - IMHO, for some reason I don't like her as a player as it seems she gets away with more fouling on "blocks" than other players I've watched and I struggle with other teams, not just UConn getting called for stuff like this, so for those hoop rules experts out there, am I being overcritical, or is this particular thing not called consistently?

Reaction Score
... Principle of Verticality. Ok folks, this one bothered me a bit last night. On a few possessions, one in particular, I noticed that Brink had her arms about 20 degrees below vertical on plays, and no fouls called, so here are my Qs.

1 - if she's in position with arms kinda down and you drive up into her, no foul?
2 - if she's in position with arms vertical and lowers them, it's a foul right?
3 - if she's in position and her arms keep moving downward over an opponent and contacts their arms, it's a foul?

NB - IMHO, for some reason I don't like her as a player as it seems she gets away with more fouling on "blocks" than other players I've watched and I struggle with other teams, not just UConn getting called for stuff like this, so for those hoop rules experts out there, am I being overcritical, or is this particular thing not called consistently?
Good observation and question. I don't know but could be she is smarter than others in figuring out what works. By keeping her arms a bit down to begin with she doesn't get seen bringing her arms down at contact and she jumps straight up and lets the ball make the contact with her - just jamming the ball with minimum arm or body movement = clever technique

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one thing I’ve noticed in both the men’s & women’s tournament is that the refs are calling fewer fouls when offensive players with the ball initiate contact by moving into defenders. It’s a tough call for any ref to determine charging vs blocking. It appears that this year, more often than not, the refs are letting them play.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Cure for that. Drive on her and pump fake and when she reachs jump in towards her. I used to get away with that all the time. Pump fake makes her commit and then shes defenseless.

Reaction Score
The Cure for that. Drive on her and pump fake and when she reachs jump in towards her. I used to get away with that all the time. Pump fake makes her commit and then shes defenseless.
Tonyc - the "pump fake", unfortunately, is a lost art. Against bigger teams inside, it would be very effective. Why its not taught or stressed anymore is a mystery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom