Bleacher Report on Jalen Adams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bleacher Report on Jalen Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not dumb. We finished with an RPI of 35 and that was with beating Cincinnati, Temple, and Memphis. Flip the Cincinnati game and you're probably looking at an RPI south of 50 with only two top 50 wins. At the very least, that places us in dangerous waters - we'd have been a combined 3-8 against teams that finished ahead of us in the league. For as much of a joke as it is that Tulsa got in, they did fulfill a greater percentage of the committee's arbitrary requirements and nobody would have felt bad for a UConn team that finished sixth in the American.
Match up Tulsa's resume to ours it would have been a national crime if they got in and we didnt. You have tie yourself into quite a knot trying to explain tulsa getting in and us not. I mean Tulsa had an RPI of 70...20 spots lower than our worse case scenerio

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like you know what were you on the selection committee? We were a bubble team and the consensus opinion was UConn needed to beat Cincy to get in the NCAAT. We had like three quality wins that year Michigan (neutral), Cincy (home) and SMU (home) and none of those three were anything special. Whether we would've made it if Cincy beat us no one will ever know. The bottomline is that team wasn't very good.

To be fair we also won @ Texas (though we got swept by Cincy).

Reaction Score
I repeat Tulsa with less quality wins, worse in conference record, worse overall record, and a horrible RPI made the tourney. There was no way we miss the tourney. Thats not me guessing thats logic. And that was the concensus before Tulsa got an at-large bid, after that anyone with half a brain knew that game didnt get us in

Seriously that wasn't a bad season. Revisionist history here imo.

I wish it were more of a low-average uconn year, instead of a better one. But getting a tourney win and losing to a final four team isn't BAD. It's not great, but it's certainly not contributing to a lack of recent recruiting success.

If Jalen was a year older, I could see that team having 25 wins, easily. The stopgap of Gibbs was a tough spot for us at guard. Gibbs was a good player, but not a pg

I loved Shonn Miller's game.

I'm on the fence about how this season will be for JA. On the one hand, he won't have to literally play 40 minutes a game. On the other hand, he is a ball dominant player, and who knows how he and Alterique will mesh on the court together. So many variables involved. I could see him averaging 12/5/4 or 20/6/8 and not really be surprised by either.

Reaction Score
Agreed completely. The conference doesn't help, but it only doesn't help because the program is making itself irrelevant all on its own.

If you're an elite program, nationally relevant, it doesn't matter how crappy your conference is. You'll get big-time recruits and positive press. See Gonzaga.

The only way conference affiliation can help you is if you're a bad program trying to sell recruits on competing against the best (e.g. the very early Calhoun years). What keeps UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC at the top isn't that they play in P5 conferences, it's that they're consistently good-to-dominant all year, each and every year.

The conference is just an excuse. If we're performing to the expectations of this program, what conference we're in matters zero.
Tens I have to disagree with this. Those teams you cited are highlighted and promoted to death on ESPN daily with bigger tv exposure than us. From their preseason tourneys to the NCAA they dominate the conversation. If you are a 5 star recruit you want the biggest tv and national sports media hype you can get, and that ain't us. KO should recruit and coach better no doubt. I don't think Gonzaga gets the same level of recruit that Duke and a Kentucky get, they have a terrific coach so yes that is an example that you give but let's not pretend that getting players is as easy as when we were in OBE. And it's mostly about the players.

Reaction Score
Match up Tulsa's resume to ours it would have been a national crime if they got in and we didnt. You have tie yourself into quite a knot trying to explain tulsa getting in and us not.

Not if we're following the committee's logic historically. If we had lost to Cincinnati, we'd have been 2-6 against the top 50. Tulsa would have been either 4-5 or 3-4 depending on whether we fell out of the top 50. They also went 8-8 against the top 100 whereas we would have been 6-9.

I don't agree with it - everybody knew UConn was the better team. But it absolutely could have happened.

Reaction Score
Not if we're following the committee's logic historically. If we had lost to Cincinnati, we'd have been 2-6 against the top 50. Tulsa would have been either 4-5 or 3-4 depending on whether we fell out of the top 50. They also went 8-8 against the top 100 whereas we would have been 6-9.

I don't agree with it - everybody knew UConn was the better team. But it absolutely could have happened.
Sure it could have. Not very likely tho IMO. I mean a 70 RPI is bad

Reaction Score
Seriously that wasn't a bad season. Revisionist history here imo.

I wish it were more of a low-average UConn year, instead of a better one. But getting a tourney win and losing to a final four team isn't BAD. It's not great, but it's certainly not contributing to a lack of recent recruiting success.

If Jalen was a year older, I could see that team having 25 wins, easily. The stopgap of Gibbs was a tough spot for us at guard. Gibbs was a good player, but not a pg

I loved Shonn Miller's game.

I'm on the fence about how this season will be for JA. On the one hand, he won't have to literally play 40 minutes a game. On the other hand, he is a ball dominant player, and who knows how he and Alterique will mesh on the court together. So many variables involved. I could see him averaging 12/5/4 or 20/6/8 and not really be surprised by either.

They under-achieved. It wasn't a disastrous season, but to finish sixth in the AAC with the talent we had - granted Brimah missed some time to injury - is tough to explain. Credit to the staff for having them playing their best basketball in March, it just took too long.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Why do people keep repeating the lie that "the shot" got us in the tourney?? It did not. TULSA MADE THE TOURNAMENT!! We should ban that dumb statement
The power of ESPN, media, and public perception.

If the public thinks it, it's true.

Reaction Score
Sure it could have. Not very likely tho IMO. I mean a 70 RPI is bad

Tulsa's RPI was 60, but I take your point.

Syracuse finished with an RPI of 68th, which I think was the worst to ever make it. You could argue that makes it likely UConn was in, but I thought it simply demonstrated the committee devaluing RPI (which wouldn't have worked in UConn's favor) in term of other metrics.

Guess we'll never know.

Reaction Score
I agree the 2017 class is not stellar but another class of nobodies and misfits is out of line. Polley is a 4 * just outside the top 100 & Carlton is a borderline 4* top 140, they deserve more credit than nobodies. What top 150 in the nation list have you ever been on? Just a few spots higher and suddenly they are acceptable to you right?

Does anyone really know the difference between getting 2 recruits ranked 95 & 98 vs 2 recruits ranked between 100 -140?

To be honest, getting two guys ranked 95 and 98 wouldn't be good enough either. Still wouldn't have much of an impact.

Reaction Score
Tens I have to disagree with this. Those teams you cited are highlighted and promoted to death on ESPN daily with bigger tv exposure than us. From their preseason tourneys to the NCAA they dominate the conversation. If you are a 5 star recruit you want the biggest tv and national sports media hype you can get, and that ain't us. KO should recruit and coach better no doubt. I don't think Gonzaga gets the same level of recruit that Duke and a Kentucky get, they have a terrific coach so yes that is an example that you give but let's not pretend that getting players is as easy as when we were in OBE. And it's mostly about the players.

If we were in the ACC or B10 we still wouldn't get that level of exposure or hype. If we were a perennial contender, we'd get the same exposure in the AAC as in another conference.

Gonzaga and WSU are just a few examples.

Reaction Score
To be honest, getting two guys ranked 95 and 98 wouldn't be good enough either. Still wouldn't have much of an impact.

I think the character of the kids coming in matters a lot too. There are a lot of guys ranked 100-200 that end up being stars either because they were underrated or they just outworked the guys who were rated above them once they got to college. Vital is a perfect example of this. I'll take 8 guys like him who are going to stay 4 years and WORK their tails off for our program over the one and done guys that Kentucky gets. We just need to mix in those guys with an occasional top 25-50 (i.e. Jalen, Alterique). I personally don't think we need a starting lineup of all top 25-50 kids to win championships. That hasn't been the case in the past and I don't think it will be the case going forward either.

Reaction Score
I repeat Tulsa with less quality wins, worse in conference record, worse overall record, and a horrible RPI made the tourney. There was no way we miss the tourney. Thats not me guessing thats logic. And that was the concensus before Tulsa got an at-large bid, after that anyone with half a brain knew that game didnt get us in

Edit:Tulsa had a better conference record....that's it

Even though champs put you in your place let me pile on. I was wrong about the Cincy win so exchange that win with a win against a 20-13 Texas team (away). Tulsa had better quality wins Wichita State (home), SMU (away) and Cincy (home) plus they beat Temple during the regular season something UConn didn't do. If UConn loses to Cincy for third time they end up with almost identical records. In my opinion, the committee could have easily left UConn out and put Tulsa in. Your opinion is UConn was in regardless because Tulsa got the nod. Breaking down both teams resumes accurately we find it could've gone either way for UConn but don't try to act like you know for sure UConn was in when you didn't even know Tulsa finished ahead of UConn in the conference and had better quality wins.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you're an elite program, nationally relevant, it doesn't matter how crappy your conference is. You'll get big-time recruits and positive press. See Gonzaga.

But Gonzaga historically didn't get big-time recruits for the most part. Few is a hell of a coach. And is great at identifying under the radar talent. Only in the last couple of years has he had good classes. And those aren't even Top 5 types.

He also didn't start out of the gate this way. He's built what he has over a large number of years. And make no mistake, the program's about Few, not about Gonzaga as an institution.

In 2016, Few had a Top 15 class. KO had a Top 5 class. You have probably heard about it now, but the Gonzaga recruiting class of 2016 will go down as the best in team history. Scout.com recently named it the No. 14 class of 2016 in all of college basketball.

KO's problem, as mentioned ad nauseum, is keeping and developing guys, and coaching over the course of the season. He's had trouble getting guys of late as a result of these three things, not because of a lack of recruiting ability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even though champs put you in your place let me pile on. I was wrong about the Cincy win so exchange that win with a win against a 20-13 Texas team (away). Tulsa had better quality wins Wichita State (home), SMU (away) and Cincy (home) plus they beat Temple during the regular season something UConn didn't do. If UConn loses to Cincy for third time they end up with almost identical records. In my opinion, the committee could have easily left UConn out and put Tulsa in. Your opinion is UConn was in regardless because Tulsa got the nod. Breaking down both teams resumes accurately we find it could've gone either way for UConn but don't try to act like you know for sure UConn was in when you didn't even know Tulsa finished ahead of UConn in the conference and had better quality wins.
I stopped reading at champs put me in my place. There RPI was 70 ours would have maybe been 50. But for arguments sake say its true that we don't know if they would have gotten in. How could you then claim we were a miracle shot away from missing the tourney? You can't claim both, its a contradiction. Either you know or you don't. Play by your own rules. And their loss to a 12-19 oral Roberts cancels out the Wichita st win. We didnt suffer a loss half as bad

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I stopped reading at champs put me in my place. There RPI was 70 ours would have maybe been 50. But for arguments sake say its true that we don't know if they would have gotten in. How could you then claim we were a miracle shot away from missing the tourney? You can't claim both, its a contradiction. Either you know or you don't. Play by your own rules. And their loss to a 12-19 oral Roberts cancels out the Wichita st win. We didnt suffer a loss half as bad

Champ just told you Tulsa's RPI was 60 like 5 posts ago and a bad loss doesn't cancel a quality win. You make it very clear through your mistake laden posts you have no clue. In conclusion, I'll trust the experts who all said UConn needed to beat Cincy to get in the tournament at the time over your cry baby Tulsa got in so there's no way UConn wouldn't of got in logic.

Reaction Score
Champ just told you Tulsa's RPI was 60 like 5 posts ago and a bad loss doesn't cancel a quality win. You make it very clear through your mistake laden posts you have no clue. In conclusion, I'll trust the experts who all said UConn needed to beat Cincy to get in the tournament at the time over your cry baby Tulsa got in so there's no way UConn wouldn't of got in logic.
You mean the same experts who had Tulsa out?? And IDC what champs told me, I did my own research (you should try it)
Secondly bad losses due cancel out good wins, the committee considers bad losses just a strongly as good wins. But your right I just cry myself to sleep.

Reaction Score
You mean the same experts who had Tulsa out?? And IDC what champs told me, I did my own research (you should try it)
Secondly bad losses due cancel out good wins, the committee considers bad losses just a strongly as good wins. But your right I just cry myself to sleep.

Yeah at mommy and daddy's what are you like 19?

Reaction Score
Nope try again

Regardless of your age little Ant, your posts remind me of a chick's text messages as does your inability to admit when your wrong attitude.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'll admit when I'm wrong. I'm just not wrong

RPI is '' for 2015-2016 Men's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

My #'s are backed up with facts. Their non conference rpi is 97 while ours was 55. Yours opinion is based on what your almighty champs says. Lmao Good Day :D
I'll admit when I'm wrong. I'm just not wrong

RPI is '' for 2015-2016 Men's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

My #'s are backed up with facts. Their non conference rpi is 97 while ours was 55. Yours opinion is based on what your almighty champs says. Lmao Good Day :D

The almighty champs who schooled you as did I. The 2015-16 was probably the year you started following UConn which is why you're arguing so hard for them lol.

Reaction Score
The almighty champs who schooled you as did I. The 2015-16 was probably the year you started following UConn which is why you're arguing so hard for them lol.
Did you have champs baby or something?? He doesn't even agree with you lmaooo. But you've kept me amused thanks :D

Reaction Score

Let it go dude, you're wrong and just making a fool of yourself now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom