Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It makes a lot of sense for the A10. Not for the BB-onlies. Again, the bottom of the A10 is significantly worse than the bottom of the BE, even now. Tulane is 7-3 right now. The A10 has teams at 2-7 and 1-8.

It's a step down.

Still.

That was my thinking. Thin the herd, and score more $ per school. Essentially reform what the original BE was about.

caw

Reaction Score
It makes a lot of sense for the A10. Not for the BB-onlies. Again, the bottom of the A10 is significantly worse than the bottom of the BE, even now. Tulane is 7-3 right now. The A10 has teams at 2-7 and 1-8.

It's a step down.

Still.

Yes, but knowing that UConn is begging to get out and Cincy may be blowing conferences to get out. It's really not a step down from Houston, et al

Reaction Score
If the split happens I just pray that WM and Herbst have the good sense align us with the Catholic schools.

Reaction Score
Yes, but knowing that UConn is begging to get out and Cincy may be blowing conferences to get out. It's really not a step down from Houston, et al
I think two things:
  1. I still do think it's a step down, even without UConn and with Houston. Yes, the top would be weaker, but the bottom of the A10 is worse than Houston, SMU, Tulane, etc.
  2. Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but it was overall part of my argument (put forward in another post) that they should split and invite the best programs from the A10. Let your worst programs be DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence (in the grand scheme of things, not bad, all of which have great histories), and add other school from the A10 (or others) that bring basketball power (Butler, Xavier, VCU, Creighton, etc.).

caw

Reaction Score
I think two things:
  1. I still do think it's a step down, even without UConn and with Houston.
  2. Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but it was overall part of my argument (put forward in another post) that they should split and invite the best programs from the A10. Let your worst programs be DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence (in the grand scheme of things, not bad, all of which have great histories), and add other school from the A10 (or others) that bring basketball power (Butler, Xavier, VCU, Creighton, etc.).

Fair enough. Either way, joining with a bunch of the A-10 teams is where they are heading.

Reaction Score
If the split happens I just pray that WM and Herbst have the good sense align us with the Catholic schools.
As long as they know we're out as soon as the B1G or ACC call, and are cool with that (which they likely won't be--they want and need stability), then I agree. Current situation holding, keeping our football BE for football only, and being in with the basketball-onlies (and Cincy) would be better than what we have.

Reaction Score
As long as they know we're out as soon as the B1G or ACC call, and are cool with that (which they likely won't be--they want and need stability), then I agree. Current situation holding, keeping our football BE for football only, and being in with the basketball-onlies (and Cincy) would be better than what we have.

It's much easier to replace basketball programs than football programs. Even if UConn and Cincy leave, they can easily find top 40 RPI schools who would love to join their league (e.g. Xavier, SLU, Creighton, Butler, Dayton, VCU...)

Reaction Score
It's much easier to replace basketball programs than football programs. Even if UConn and Cincy leave, they can easily find top 40 RPI schools who would love to join their league (e.g. Xavier, SLU, Creighton, Butler, Dayton, VCU...)
Agreed.

The BE is dead as it is right now. The BB-onlies can take off, reform, and I think be one of the premier basketball leagues. Certainly better than the P12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
and now @blauds is saying that the catholics get to leave the Big East with no exit fees if they leave en masse due to a provision put into the big east bylaws/const? when bc, vatech, miami left.

he also says they get to keep the big east name and ncaa tourney revenue.

That is what I thought. I never understood the "dissolve the Big East" rumor. I suspect the revenue is allocated by school that earned it. I don't think the basketball schools get to keep all of it.

Reaction Score
Blauds has a new entry in his jerseyguy blog. Basically talking about how UConn is still waiting for an invite and how it sucks to be us. Also talks about how we need to "circle the wagons." Still is hard to believe that only 2 years ago we were going to a BCS game and months away from winning the national title. Wish we could just fast forward to the end of this whole mess. Would be much better than grinding through this on a daily basis. Just sucks to be the one national school in this whole thing that is getting taken behind the woodshed right now

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
...and there it is again, the voice in my head screaming "WE'RE SCREWED". It used to be an annoying distraction but it is now an old friend. I can now manage a meeting quite nicely. I need to control the sponaneous head shaking though.
Why do I feel like I'm now inside your head?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sounds about right!
What I was referring to (but didn't want to get political) was a quote by Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller/USMC in Korea, when he was briefed by his Intel Officers that informed him: "Sir, they are in front of us, behind us and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1! Puller replied : "Good, I can attack them in any direction! They cant get away from us now!!!" During this engagement the 1st Marine Division was cut off behind enemy lines and the U.S. Army had written them off as a "total loss" on account of the size of the enemy forces they were up against. They were surrounded by 22 Enemy Divisions! The Marines made it out inflicting the highest casualty ratio on an enemy force in history by destroying SEVEN entire Divisions in the process! An enemy division is 16500 men while a Marine Corp Division is 12500 men!

Oh, and before I get hammered here, by NO means am I suggesting that Warde Manuel is even REMOTELY the leader to lead us to victory in this whole mess we are in. In fact IMO, Warde Manuel couldn't be Chesty Puller's "piss bucket holder" as far as I'm concerned!!
Not elevating WM but not many people would be Chesty Puller's "piss bucket holder". Great story.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would definitely help with the ACC, but certainly isn't decisive. And it holds no sway with the B1G.
To paraphrase the great Vince Lombardi, as far as conference realignment goes, money isn't everything, it's the only thing.

Reaction Score
Blauds has a new entry in his jerseyguy blog. Basically talking about how UConn is still waiting for an invite and how it sucks to be us. Also talks about how we need to "circle the wagons." Still is hard to believe that only 2 years ago we were going to a BCS game and months away from winning the national title. Wish we could just fast forward to the end of this whole mess. Would be much better than grinding through this on a daily basis. Just sucks to be the one national school in this whole thing that is getting taken behind the woodshed right now
Someone posted this comment:

Barry Cousins
December 11, 2012 - 6:50 pm | Permalink

Fear not. Well placed sources say UConn will land just fine. There are a few details to work out first.

Who is this person? I want to believe!

Reaction Score
  • I_want_to_believe_wallpaper_by_Pencilshade.png

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Does anyone really care what the BB schools do at this point? FB needs a home. BB will be fine, perhaps better off without the conference anchors. Just leave the cash.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think its a mistake to underestimate Big East Basketball
As long a its a major player in NYC and Philly it will continue to contend
As I previously pointed out the conference affliation has made regional programs,into national players.
Syracuse, Georgetown, UConn, Pitt, St Johns,Villinova, Even BC, Prov,and Seton Hall had their moments
Its given former powers a second life.
Louisville, Cinn Marquette

Reaction Score
best source we have had in weeks. BELIEVE!

You know what amazes me? That some people would choose to slander Barry Cousins' reputation, just because of their own personal insecurities. It isn't Barry's fault that your momma lied to you about Sparky going to a farm upstate where he could play with all the other animals.

Barry has nearly a full lifetime of taking various words and arranging them into sentences. Do you think he's going to jeopardize his sentence-making reputation now? I don't understand why we can't take his word at face value. If we can't trust experienced sentence-creators like Barry Cousins, then we might as well just shut down the internet and go back to smoke signals.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Personally, if the Catholics split, I want UConn and Cincy to have nothing to do with them. UConn is a big name in basketball. They have a lot of support out there from people who see the school as a path to the NBA (through Ollie, Calhoun, the coaches and all the NBA alums). It's about to get a first class facility. When these Catholic schools break off, they will be no more relevant than Xavier and such are right now. Xavier is good, pretty formidable, but Xavier doesn't recruit like St. John's or Georgetown or, heck, Providence do. These schools are about to get their clock cleaned. And it's going to the Pitt, UConn, Cuse, Cincy and--heck--even Rutgers, that will beat them for players. Consistently.

UConn, Cincy, Temple make for a strong top 3 in bball. SMU may get there soon too. USF, Houston can be middling if they improve drastically. I see very little upside at Boise St. San Diego St. is already good. The point is, by unhitching their horse from UConn, the Catholic schools may be making a huge mistake. UConn is still a national barometer in basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom