Blaney retiring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blaney retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ray has stated that he wants to get into acting. Loved his opportunity he had.

Reaction Score
So what failed head coach and Calhoun assistant gets to replace him? Jeez, get someone with a little different perspective please.

Reaction Score
Blaney has never been anything but a class act. He could have easily rode into the sunset with Calhoun a year ago, but instead he decided to guide Ollie along in his first year as a head coach, despite some pretty unglamorous circmustances. Did anybody ever, in Blaney's tenure here, get the impression he sought out attention? Nobody ever had to put him in his place, because he knew his role, and played it masterfully. It's fitting that George will retire with about as little media attention as he received in all his years here. The guy just went about his buisness, played a large role in the substantial amount of success this program has experienced over the last 20 years, and hung up the clipboard with about as impeccable record as you can have when you're in this buisness for long enough. This thread won't receive 500+ replies like when Calhoun retired, or even the 100+ we rack up when a big time recruit signs on or Tyler Olander decides to release his newest rap album. He was never one to generate any buzz, but he had just a large a hand in our success as those that did. Thanks so much, George.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Blaney got on the phone with media members today to discuss his retirement.

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2013/06/george-blaney-from-early-age-i-was.html

Love this:
Blaney said that, if there was one best memory he could come up with about his career, it would have been stepping onto the floor for the national championship in 2004 for the first time.

"I'd been to 46 Final Fours, so to step on the floor was very special," he said. "That probably was as good a feeling as any that I've had."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So what failed head coach and Calhoun assistant gets to replace him? Jeez, get someone with a little different perspective please.
I agree. We should be bringing in and grooming Brad Masters imo.

Reaction Score
Good for him. Say what you want, but Blaney was here for a lot of the good times and you could tell especially from that article that he enjoyed every second of it. I dont have anything negative to say about him. Now lets hope KO replaces him with somebody good.
Actually, I was thinking of putting my hat in the ring.

Reaction Score

Failed head coach? 10 years in the A10 and a top 5 ranking one year. Pretty good.

Or are you talking about Blaney and his 450 wins?

WTF are you talking about anyway?

Do you even realize that Karl Hobbs was the lead recruiter during a key period in UConn basketball history?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Congratulations to George for a wonderful career and how many rings? Ahh.

Reaction Score
During my time as a beat writer I got to know Coach Blaney a bit. He was such an unassuming and genuinely good guy. He would ALWAYS take the time to give me interviews, give great insight into the subject at hand, and great quotes. Really a super nice guy. Thank you Coach Blaney for all you have done for college basketball. Wishing you the best, enjoy your retirement.

Reaction Score
Blaney has never been anything but a class act. He could have easily rode into the sunset with Calhoun a year ago, but instead he decided to guide Ollie along in his first year as a head coach, despite some pretty unglamorous circmustances. Did anybody ever, in Blaney's tenure here, get the impression he sought out attention? Nobody ever had to put him in his place, because he knew his role, and played it masterfully. It's fitting that George will retire with about as little media attention as he received in all his years here. The guy just went about his buisness, played a large role in the substantial amount of success this program has experienced over the last 20 years, and hung up the clipboard with about as impeccable record as you can have when you're in this buisness for long enough. This thread won't receive 500+ replies like when Calhoun retired, or even the 100+ we rack up when a big time recruit signs on or Tyler Olander decides to release his newest rap album. He was never one to generate any buzz, but he had just a large a hand in our success as those that did. Thanks so much, George.

Amen!

Reaction Score
Blaney was always a rock on the bench. He will be missed. Thanks for the years Coach.

Reaction Score
Thank you Coach Blaney for your tenure helping us to 3 FF and 2 national championships.

Reaction Score
Before he was an assistant and after Seton Hall dumped him Calhoun used to bring him in to scout the team in practice. He always trusted him and he helped bring UConn 2 NC's. Thanks for the help.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score

eeyore.jpg

Seriously, YOU are suggesting a different perspective?

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
All the best to Coach Blaney. The program will miss him. He is a great coach!

A great coach, but more than that, a steady hand players felt they could talk with and feel gounded again, a quiet piece of the coaching administration for perspective. GB has been essential to the success of he program. Further proof of JC"s wisdom in making such an addition.
But the hitting room at the top of Gampel may never be the same!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you look at Blaney's full resume, it's pretty damn impressive. This quote from JC says it all:

“I’ve known George for 40-plus years, and he is not only one of the best basketball coaches, but also one of the finest people, I’ve ever been around,” Calhoun said. “When he joined me at UConn, I think it was a great marriage of perhaps two very different personalities, but two people who were very similar in our feelings about the game of basketball and the kids who played for us."

That he could mesh with a bull like JC is impressive in and of itself, but I think he actually extended JC's career (by helping him chill out), and was a big part of getting #3. Thanks George.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd say slim to none. Ray has made too much money and his children are relatively young. I think he wants to be around as his kids are growing up. This coming from someone that knows him and his wife pretty well (no, not me).

Hey Hoop, off topic, but you are connected to the Celts in some capacity, no? If so, is defo Doc gone in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom