Blame McEntee? Blame McCoombs? No... | The Boneyard

Blame McEntee? Blame McCoombs? No...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn played well in the first half. They moved the ball and were effective in their game plan.

UConn sucked in the second half. They barely could move the ball.

What changed between halves? Well I thought it was flipping obvious but seeing that everyone wants to jump on blaming McEntee and McCoombs, they're overlooking the fact that our OL is absolutely pathetic.

There was no OL in the second half yesterday. When McEntee gets the proper protection, he is 10x a better quarterback than Frazer or Lorenzen was. Hell, if McEntee had the OL of those years, I really think we'd be golden. Why? Cause he has touch and accuracy when he's not running for his life.

If the OL did their job, McCoombs would be able to actually find holes and bust out a few good runs. I think he's doing a tremendous job considering how incredibly POROUS our OL is. It was like night and day. Maybe you think our OL hasn't changed that much, but I'd argue that with Sherman and Hurd, we'd be in a lot better position than we are now.

Seriously - go look at the game again. You'll see it's an easy correlation.

Reaction Score
I think people are also ignoring an interesting aspect of this game: in the second half, we weren't getting a lot of pressure on Geno. We hit him a few times, but more than a few times, he had all day back there, and our secondary (without Wreh-Wilson especially) is not good enough to keep receivers covered for more than 10 seconds or so.

There is a lot of blame to go around, but ultimately, we were outplayed by a superior, more talented team. You could see that every time one of their WR's beat our DB's or juked us out of our pants. You can put the blame everywhere you want, but at the end of the day, it's hard to outplay that much of a talent difference, especially in Morgantown.

Reaction Score
UConn's offense did not play all that much better in the first half than they did in the second half. Zero TDs in both halves. Thank goodness for FGs other wise this offense would score very few points. They are just not BCS caliber

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
UConn's offense did not play all that much better in the first half than they did in the second half. Zero TDs in both halves. Thank goodness for FGs other wise this offense would score very few points. They are just not BCS caliber

Really? Should we just ignore statistics like points, first downs and yardage gained? Are you the kind of person who only likes a team that hits home runs because those pesky singles are so boring? If you can't acknowledge the difference between the first half offense and the second half offense (or lack thereof), then how can anything else you say, regardless of how insightful it is, be taken remotely seriously?

Reaction Score
Really? Should we just ignore statistics like points, first downs and yardage gained? Are you the kind of person who only likes a team that hits home runs because those pesky singles are so boring? If you can't acknowledge the difference between the first half offense and the second half offense (or lack thereof), then how can anything else you say, regardless of how insightful it is, be taken remotely seriously?

You haven't been on the boards long, have you. That's his MO.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It was a combination of things. One thing was the momentum shift after the McEntee fumble. It not only excited WV players but it seemed to make McEntee tighter.

The next set of downs in which WV got the long touchdown pass was one of the few times UConn tried a full out blitz. And UConn got burned for it. Those two things finished UConn.

The safety was on the OL.

The first half UConn played equal to WV.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
You haven't been on the boards long, have you. That's his MO.

I've seen enough to know but still felt the need to comment. I should probably know better.

Reaction Score
TDH = Neglected Child

All his posts are "Give me any kind of attention" posts.

As he reads this post he is flat out giddy.

Reaction Score
McEntee completely lost his ability to throw after the fumble. I'm suspicious that the hit that caused the fumble also hurt his throwing shoulder. It's either that or he just lost his composure, but he was not the same QB.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is fairly obvious. What changed between the first half and second? The O-Line had new reads...WVU adjusted. Pressure was coming from different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom