Black Sails | The Boneyard

Black Sails

Reaction Score
Yep, it is low brow as hell and even worse it's Michael Bay. But I am a sucker for set pieces. Loved the Borgias and Deadwood for that reason and more.

This is the last season, No. 4. The guy who plays Flint is a very good actor but it goes downhill after that, Billy and the Madam are pretty good. The show killed off Captain Vane whose brooding presence gave the show much of its mood and tension.

Truth is, it is mostly mindless fluff, but the set work, especially the ships are A+. The naval battle to open season 4 was very high end stuff for TV.

Reaction Score
Yep, it is low brow as hell and even worse it's Michael Bay. But I am a sucker for set pieces. Loved the Borgias and Deadwood for that reason and more.

This is the last season, No. 4. The guy who plays Flint is a very good actor but it goes downhill after that, Billy and the Madam are pretty good. The show killed off Captain Vane whose brooding presence gave the show much of its mood and tension.

Truth is, it is mostly mindless fluff, but the set work, especially the ships are A+. The naval battle to open season 4 was very high end stuff for TV.

The actor who plays Flint is Dame Maggie Smith's son, so acting is in his bloodlines. It will be interesting to see how this series ends, as the story line is an obvious prequel to Treasure Island. Will STARZ follow it up with a rendition of Treasure Island?

Flint's stated goal is to end Britain's Imperial governing of the new world. Given the time frame, he is a man of vision, just a few decades too early. His stated idea of taking his revolution to overthrowing Boston will be his downfall. His lofty goal of ending slavery in the New World won't fly in the Southern Colonies of the time period.

On another note, the Colonial Governor of Nassau has been one step ahead of the Pirate cartel since his introduction. Will the death of Eleanor prove to be the albatross around his neck & cause his demise, or will it be the catalyst for the final battle?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What network is this on?

Reaction Score
So tonight is the series finale. There is a preview & spoiler alert in today's Boston Herald. Won't give anything away. Important is that the episode is 75 minutes long, so if you are DVRing it for viewing at a later time, set the machine accordingly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Palatine totally underselling this show. Became a clusterf__k for a bit in Season 2(?), but then tightened back up. Very well done overall. Grade: A-

Also significant contender for Best Opening Credits.

Reaction Score
Will miss it.
Points to ponder:
Long John Silver-duplicitous, yet humanitarian
Flint- espouses war for freedom from tyranny & ends up freeing his soul instead
Rackham- in the end, business as usual

Quite a turn of events for the Brotherhood of the Black Flag

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I watched episode 1 of season 1 last night. My wife and I like historical period pieces (and Starz seems to live off of them). I'd give the opener about a B. There was some pointless nonsense in there. I really hate when they jam some modern concept into these period shows (like the lesbian bit with Miss Guthrie and Max). Never would have happened.

So is it worth continuing? Or should I jump to White Princess?

Reaction Score
So I watched episode 1 of season 1 last night. My wife and I like historical period pieces (and Starz seems to live off of them). I'd give the opener about a B. There was some pointless nonsense in there. I really hate when they jam some modern concept into these period shows (like the lesbian bit with Miss Guthrie and Max). Never would have happened.

Do BOTH! The set work & the occasional at sea scenes highlight just how dangerous life at sea could be.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Do BOTH! The set work & the occasional at sea scenes highlight just how dangerous life at sea could be.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll keep watching. Princess we will certainly watch.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Black Sails is TOTALLY worth it man. It takes a while to set up, and it does lose itself in season 2 or 3 there for a bit, but it's really really well done overall. Top notch sets and some really good acting to boot. Especially among the sailing lot.

There are some 'modern' concepts as you say, but I'm not sure about the Lesbian thing. That was more common/accepted back then than you'd think.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Black Sails is TOTALLY worth it man. It takes a while to set up, and it does lose itself in season 2 or 3 there for a bit, but it's really really well done overall. Top notch sets and some really good acting to boot. Especially among the sailing lot.

There are some 'modern' concepts as you say, but I'm not sure about the Lesbian thing. That was more common/accepted back then than you'd think.

"Especially among the sailing lot" was meant to go after the second paragraph. Lot's of switch hitters in those days. Especially among the sailing lot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Two seasons down now, and I'm really liking this show a lot. The conclusion to Season 2 was excellent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom