bit - OT - All American Red Heads - Finalist for Naismith HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
announced today

www.hoophall.com

For any of you that maybe coming to one of the first 2 days of the B.E., this timing is excellent.

"ALL AMERICAN RED HEADS [Team] – The All American Red Heads are known as the female version of the Harlem Globetrotters and the first women’s professional basketball team. The team regularly played more than 200 games per season, winning 70% of them while touring thousands of miles reaching 49 states, Canada and the Philippines. Over six decades (from 1936 to 1986), the team broke social barriers and stereotypes playing in small towns and rural hamlets, as well as Madison Square Garden and Chicago Stadium." from Hoophall.com

They start arriving Tuesday night. Heading over to a senior retirement community to do some ball handling tricks, etc.

They are very humbled with this announcement and excited to come to CT

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When I was a child in Texas I was incredibly excited about seeing the AARHs. We packed up the car and drove to a small town in Oklahoma to watch them play just to find out when we arrived that the game had been cancelled. I as crushed and cried all the way home, or at least until we stopped and got ice cream at Dairy Queen.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
About what year was that? I have most of the actual scorebooks from late 50s to early 80s. Quite a few RH's are from down Texas way.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
About what year was that? I have most of the actual scorebooks from late 50s to early 80s. Quite a few RH's are from down Texas way.

Good question. It was probably in the late 60s to early 70s.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
That was when they had at least 2, if not 3 teams on the road at the same time. quite a few of the players in their music video would have been the players you would have seen. At least a couple of them will be here at the B.E. championships

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That was when they had at least 2, if not 3 teams on the road at the same time. quite a few of the players in their music video would have been the players you would have seen. At least a couple of them will be here at the B.E. championships

I had no idea there were multiple teams traveling. My parents were huge girls'/women's basketball fans and instilled in me a love for the game that has never wavered. I wish I had gotten to see them play. I need to find the video link.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
Glad you enjoyed. The footage in the music video was put together from 2 boxes of film I had digitized.

One day when I came home from work, there were 2 boxes on my porch steps. They were sent by the owner of the team. they were badly decaying and only parts could be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom