Billy Crocker’s departure as UConn’s defensive coordinator due to many factors (Fuller) | The Boneyard

Billy Crocker’s departure as UConn’s defensive coordinator due to many factors (Fuller)

Reaction Score
Speaking of fired coaches, looks like Rich Rod found a job already at Ole Miss.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Speaking of fired coaches, looks like Rich Rod found a job already at Ole Miss.
Already? He was fired in 2017.

I actually forgot about him. I would love to have him as HC at UConn.... creative offense...knows how to play in the grey area in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Already? He was fired in 2017.

I actually forgot about him. I would love to have him as HC at UConn.... creative offense...knows how to play in the grey area in recruiting.
He was creative and ahead of his time, but he never innovated.

Reaction Score
What other factor beyond "the worst defense in the history of college football" is really necessary to consider? You simply can not perform at that level and expect to keep your job.
I said it in season, I don’t blame Crocker for the total debacle, that is mostly on Randy. His horsesheet line in year 1, about not having enough linemen for a 4-3, or be able to recruit more linemen for it in the future was just that, horseradish. However, those kids simply need a new voice. Under Crocker, they weren’t even showing they could grasp the basics of tackling or running to the ball. If you can’t your kids to do that consistently, scheme is the least of your worries.

Gonna need a whip cracker to come in show them the tape and let them know if you play like that you will never see the field. You could have run all walk ons out there and finish as the worst ever.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I said it in season, I don’t blame Crocker for the total debacle, that is mostly on Randy. His horsesheet line in year 1, about not having enough linemen for a 4-3, or be able to recruit more linemen for it in the future was just that, horseradish. However, those kids simply need a new voice. Under Crocker, they weren’t even showing they could grasp the basics of tackling or running to the ball. If you can’t your kids to do that consistently, scheme is the least of your worries.

Gonna need a whip cracker to come in show them the tape and let them know if you play like that you will never see the field. You could have run all walk ons out there and finish as the worst ever.
So which was it horsesheet or horseradish?

Seriously though, there's no magic whip to crack or tape to play that magically makes 1-3 stars play like 4-5 stars. That's just not possible.

Reaction Score

Seriously though, there's no magic whip to crack or tape to play that magically makes 1-3 stars play like 4-5 stars. That's just not possible.
Playing ability is one thing, it’s another to stand around and watch a wr push a pile into the end zone like happened at Boise and at other times.

Reaction Score

I think the point would be relevant if they were ordinary bad, not the very worst ever...it’s all in the degree and I guarantee they will play better with a a guy focused on football fundamentals... like tackling.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the point would be relevant if they were ordinary bad, not the very worst ever...it’s all in the degree and I guarantee they will play better with a a guy focused on football fundamentals... like tackling.
wooooooo looking forward to moving up to the top 90 thanks to teaching fundamentals

Reaction Score
What other factor beyond "the worst defense in the history of college football" is really necessary to consider? You simply can not perform at that level and expect to keep your job.

Not attacking anyone here just saying... The worst defense in the history of college was also probably the youngest. D1 football is not kind to a JV team playing against varsity teams.
One would think or guarantee they will play better regardless of the coach simply because they will have become a year older and added a few pounds where needed.

Reaction Score
My biggest issue watching the defense this year way the total lack of fundamentals and the seeming refusal to either teach them or the players to learn them. Is that all of Crocker's fault? Probably not, but it was "his" defense and he was presumably, with guidance from Randy, in charge of correcting which never happened.

It's what's best for both parties. UCONN can move on to someone that'll be a Randy Crony per usual and Crocker can probably get a job at the FCS level to rebuild his image

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Playing ability is one thing, it’s another to stand around and watch a wr push a pile into the end zone like happened at Boise and at other times.

The Temple game was impossible.

Temple chose to not beat UConn 85-7. The effort in that game would get you benched in a middle school game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not attacking anyone here just saying... The worst defense in the history of college was also probably the youngest. D1 football is not kind to a JV team playing against varsity teams.
One would think or guarantee they will play better regardless of the coach simply because they will have become a year older and added a few pounds where needed.

Here is the thing... they probably won’t be much better. Why should I believe they get better year over year when they got worse week after week this season?

Reaction Score
The Temple game was impossible.

Temple chose to not beat UConn 85-7. The effort in that game would get you benched in a middle school game.
Never seen such matador attempts at tackling in my life. The youth excuse only goes so far when older players recruited by the previous staff never get a whiff of PT.

We can all accept not being good enough. Hard to accept the attempts at tackling we witnessed in that game and others. They showed life in two games, USF and UMass. Losing that UMass game was huge step backwards in terms of effort the rest of the season. Its why I was so disgusted to hear Edsall say he could care less about wins and losses. Players need to see tangible results for max effort when all they know is losing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never seen such matador attempts at tackling in my life. The youth excuse only goes so far when older players recruited by the previous staff never get a whiff of PT.

We can all accept not being good enough. Hard to accept the attempts at tackling we witnessed in that game and others. They showed life in two games, USF and UMass. Losing that UMass game was huge step backwards in terms of effort the rest of the season. Its why I was so disgusted to hear Edsall say he could care less about wins and losses. Players need to see tangible results for max effort when all they know is losing.

Herring Wilson who is supposed to be ‘good’ was getting blocked 7 yards deep in the end zone by a WR as someone walzted into the end zone without even seemingly a care in the world of getting off the block.

Who would try when they roll out the QB of the future and only let him hand the ball off? What could possibly happen? They lose by 57 instead of 50?

Reaction Score
Herring Wilson who is supposed to be ‘good’ was getting blocked 7 yards deep in the end zone by a WR as someone walzted into the end zone without even seemingly a care in the world of getting off the block.

Who would try when they roll out the QB of the future and only let him hand the ball off? What could possibly happen? They lose by 57 instead of 50?
We had serious effort issues on defense. For that reason alone they need a new voice. They guys playing were mostly Edsall recruits and that is what is really scary.

Reaction Score
Players heard from HCRE via the press how “slow, small, weak, generally untalented” they were multiple times and it sunk in. Compounding that was the fact that there didn’t seem to be any consequences for playing poorly or giving what appeared to be poor effort.

If you believe you stink and you hear continuously that the coach thinks you stink but there are no consequences to stinking, you will continue to stink.

Reaction Score
Players heard from HCRE via the press how “slow, small, weak, generally untalented” they were multiple times and it sunk in. Compounding that was the fact that there didn’t seem to be any consequences for playing poorly or giving what appeared to be poor effort.

If you believe you stink and you hear continuously that the coach thinks you stink but there are no consequences to stinking, you will continue to stink.

LOL. You talk as if the same 11 guys started on D all year. I don't think we had more than 1 or 2 guys who started all 11 games.

You can only play your best 11 at any time. Just because guys aren't playing behind those 11 does not make them better. Or even anywhere near as good.

Reaction Score
LOL. You talk as if the same 11 guys started on D all year. I don't think we had more than 1 or 2 guys who started all 11 games.

You can only play your best 11 at any time. Just because guys aren't playing behind those 11 does not make them better. Or even anywhere near as good.

I don’t think the coach discriminated against who he implied wasn’t talented enough (meaning the entire team). But I understand what you are saying. My point was the players did not seem to care that they were getting embarrassed week in and week out and I think it’s because they believed they weren’t good enough so why care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom