OT: - Bill Walton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Walton

Reaction Score
Lot to like about Walton but I can understand how some, or many, would find his act tiresome after awhile. Did you guys know the PAC 12 is the conference of champions?

Reaction Score
Walton is awesome, I love the crazy non basketball stuff and he gets serious when time to.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A couple of years back Arizona BB fans circulated a petition which garnered lots of signatures, begging to get him taken off of any broadcasts of their games. And he's a U of A fan since his son Luke played there. Hilarious!

Reaction Score
I like him when he is doing non UConn games. He was definitely a little much for the Maui games.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is the 3rd thread on Walton this year and the 8th in the past 2. Not only do I love Bill Walton (even though I agree with Nomar's sentiment), I also love Bill Walton threads. The exact same people chime in with support of Bill and with disgust. Now that I have added some pro-Walton sentiments, we are only waiting for bigern to praise the big fella and then we are all set with the regulars.

Obligatory random Walton video that cracks me up.

There's a part of me that wants to merge this thread with the Doris Burke thread and observe the reaction.

And where is Deepster? Shouldn't he insist this thread be put in the entertainment forum?

Reaction Score
Walton and his eternal criticism of Shawn Bradley will always be something I remember about watching nba games growing up. Throw it down big man, dont go for a lay up, you are 7 feet 6 inches tall. Shawn bradley is terrrrrible.

His irrelevant monologues he goes on have cemented his legacy as one of my all time favorite commentators.

Reaction Score

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 4.17.28 PM.png

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stood next to him for about 30 minutes during a Dead and Company show years ago
He was pretty cool in that environment - couldn't believe how many people were offering him hits off their joints/pipes etc - he turned everyone down
I said to him - you must get tired and hate that - he said back to me - I noticed you turned them all down too and gave me a hug
As far as an announcer I find him too much about him and at times overbearing BUT the guy knows the game and was one hell of a player

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Stood next to him for about 30 minutes during a Dead and Company show years ago
He was pretty cool in that environment - couldn't believe how many people were offering him hits off their joints/pipes etc - he turned everyone down
I said to him - you must get tired and hate that - he said back to me - I noticed you turned them all down too and gave me a hug
As far as an announcer I find him too much about him and at times overbearing BUT the guy knows the game and was one hell of a player

He was a brilliant star that shone only briefly before ... the whole foot thing/ vegetarian controversy, ...never near the same. I thought that he was better than Kareem in some ways (but not overall), such as how great a passer he was and what great court vision he had. He was a quicker jumper than Kareem and stronger in some ways, but he was not the offensive juggernaut that was Kareem. I would have really liked to see him stay healthy and play at his best for many NBA seasons. He really was unique at what he could do and he was just tremendously gifted when at his peak.

I bet that there were times when he did take some hits, maybe a lot of times. But good for him to make some changes and to stay in shape to take his shirt off on TV. He just seems to be having a great time and working in some work at the same time. I really hope he has some money saved. The semifinal game against what was Memphis State was probably the greatest college basketball performance I ever saw. What was it, 21 out of 22 from the field? So, I probably do give him some leeway as an announcer because he was just a break away from being an all-time NBA great (top 20). Now he is an eccentric who loves basketball, loves to talk, and goes off on tangents. Could be worse.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The look on the face of the women behind him is priceless.
Or his broadcasting partner. He's got the deflect your eyes and lean-away down perfect.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He was a brilliant star that shone only briefly before ... the whole foot thing/ vegetarian controversy, ...never near the same. I thought that he was better than Kareem in some ways (but not overall), such as how great a passer he was and what great court vision he had. He was a quicker jumper than Kareem and stronger in some ways, but he was not the offensive juggernaut that was Kareem. I would have really liked to see him stay healthy and play at his best for many NBA seasons. He really was unique at what he could do and he was just tremendously gifted when at his peak.

I bet that there were times when he did take some hits, maybe a lot of times. But good for him to make some changes and to stay in shape to take his shirt off on TV. He just seems to be having a great time and working in some work at the same time. I really hope he has some money saved. The semifinal game against what was Memphis State was probably the greatest college basketball performance I ever saw. What was it, 21 out of 22 from the field? So, I probably do give him some leeway as an announcer because he was just a break away from being an all-time NBA great (top 20). Now he is an eccentric who loves basketball, loves to talk, and goes off on tangents. Could be worse.

I don't think Bill's hurting for money whatsoever. Besides, his son could help him out if it ever came to that.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I watched the last 10 minutes of the Kansas/Texas game yesterday just because he was commentating. Between the tie-dye "Make Austin Weird" shirt, giving his partner a root as a gift, and telling everyone he doesn't wear neck ties anymore because his doctor says its reduces blood flow, I lost it.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Watching slimy WKU play slimy USC in the NIT. Walton just turned a conversation about Bing Crosby into some fit of gratitude for the "Wolf Moon."

Did you know wolves are born with blue eyes that turn yellow? That wolves can smell other animals from more than a mile away? A national treasure, this man.

Just as I've typed this, we've moved on to Iwo Jima.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he is stoned most of the time.

I am also certain, on multiple occasions in the past, I have heard (discreetly) Heinsohn crack open a beer on air. Well, it would explain a lot!

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he is stoned most of the time.

I am also certain, on multiple occasions in the past, I have heard (discreetly) Heinsohn crack open a beer on air. Well, it would explain a lot!

just imagine a Walton & Heinsohn broadcast

Reaction Score
84-86 are my first years of cognizant sports memories. I remember Earl Kelley pretty well; Tim Coles battling Ewing, Mullin, Pearl Washington, and, Never Nervous Purvis in CBB. The 85 Bears. Gretzky and Whale taking the Canadians to 7. The Winfield, Mattingly batting title chase and the Yanks acquiring Rickey, and Jordan going for 63 and those Celtics teams, particularly 86 when they got Walton. My dad told me to watch them because that is how basketball is supposed to be played. The interplay between Bird, Walton, and McHale was amazing. Three extremely smart and diverse basketball players who were always 2-3 steps ahead of their opponent. Gorgeous to watch.

All in all, a pretty awesome time to be indoctrinated into the world of sports...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
anyone who's interested in a game doesn't want Walton working it, that's not plausible

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Great example for the junior high kids watching the game. Cannot believe the networks allow that crap on the air.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom