OT: - Bill Walton 30 for 30 | The Boneyard

OT: Bill Walton 30 for 30

Reaction Score
Anyone catch the first couple parts? Doesn’t make him any better at calling a basketball game, but what an interesting guy. Truly 1 of 1

Reaction Score
I like Walton and I like when he calls the games too. Felt like the doc has been worthwhile but a level below many of the 30 for 30s.
Yeah, I feel like they don't really have a point they're trying to make with this one besides showcasing how weird and likeable Bill is. Makes it hard to feel as powerful as some of the other stories they've told

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
2 more parts. Loved first two. But i think it gets better.

I feel like his rise/fall in the NBA plus him becoming a cultural icon with announcing will be more compelling. Parts 1 and 2 just felt a little meandering. Also they must have shown that 5 sec clip of him walking in the woods a half dozen times haha.

Reaction Score
One of the most devastating and tragic injuries of all-time. This guy was an unbelievable talent and his teams won at an amazing clip before the injuries.

In 1978, reigning champions Portland started out 50-10, before crashing after Walton's injuries. The whole San Diego saga is interesting. Glad Walton ended on a mostly positive note with the C's.

Malpractice? Bad medical decisions?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Anyone catch the first couple parts? Doesn’t make him any better at calling a basketball game, but what an interesting guy. Truly 1 of 1
I think he and Wooden come down a couple of pegs in it so far.

Reaction Score
Just finished parts 3 and 4. Wow. I’m 24, so I actually didn’t know much about Bill, other than being a huge fan of his broadcasting.

The entire series, but part 4 especially, does a great job of cutting past some of his usual schtick to paint the picture of a complicated individual. Without knowing much about Bill, it was easy for me to listen to him on a broadcast and only associate him with his good qualities. Showing some of his self destructive nature, his trials, and the wisdom he gained from it was illuminating. The interviewers asked the right questions, and pushed just enough to cut past Bill’s default alacrity to draw out some real emotion.

As someone who has already torn an ACL and meniscus in one knee, and likely now in my other knee, it hit hard seeing what Bill went through to keep pushing, rather than taking care of himself. Health is precious - physical and mental. The 30 for 30 did a great job showing Bill’s physical and mental ups and downs, and illuminating how it informed his world view. I believe they delivered a light, but hard hitting, portrait of a complicated and ultimately good man. No fluff piece here

Reaction Score
I was really disappointed that they only gave like four minutes to the broadcasting. They could have done a full episode on that. On the plus side, it’s been a while since I listened to the Dead, and this got me back into them. Do yourself a favor and youtube Morning Dew from Ithaca 1977 for the best 14 minutes of your day.

Reaction Score
I was really disappointed that they only gave like four minutes to the broadcasting. They could have done a full episode on that. On the plus side, it’s been a while since I listened to the Dead, and this got me back into them. Do yourself a favor and youtube Morning Dew from Ithaca 1977 for the best 14 minutes of your day.
Yeah there could have honestly been a part 5 on the broadcasting alone. I wonder what the creative decision was behind minimizing it. I could see them thinking that the actual content of the broadcasting (i.e., the theatrics, the stories) doesn't get very deep into his complex character. They seemed to focus a bit more on what the broadcasting means to him, but I wish they'd gone a bit deeper on that aspect too

Reaction Score
One of the most devastating and tragic injuries of all-time. This guy was an unbelievable talent and his teams won at an amazing clip before the injuries.

In 1978, reigning champions Portland started out 50-10, before crashing after Walton's injuries. The whole San Diego saga is interesting. Glad Walton ended on a mostly positive note with the C's.

Malpractice? Bad medical decisions?
The Breaks of the Game, written by David Halberstam did a great job telling that story, and the NBA as a whole at that time. I remember reading it when I was a kid, and I wish I knew what happened to my copy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I feel like his rise/fall in the NBA plus him becoming a cultural icon with announcing will be more compelling. Parts 1 and 2 just felt a little meandering. Also they must have shown that 5 sec clip of him walking in the woods a half dozen times haha.

Thought parts 3 and 4 were a lot better. Particularly talking about his time with the Celtics.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I met him at MSG circa early 1990's when he did color on a Knicks Clippers game. He respectfully (with a chuckle) declined to autograph a pack of Zig Zags, but signed my ticket stub. I've seen him on the floor at Dead shows (last I remember was Phil and Friends at the Beacon 2003-ish), and it's funnier when I'm at a show with Larry Blucher and some stoner mistakes him for Bill, Blu is way shorter and has more hair!

Reaction Score
I enjoyed portions of the first two installments. I didn't have time to sit through them completely. The poor guy has trouble walking now. It was interesting when he met his teammates from Portland and asked about their joint replacements. Most have had knee and/or hip replacement surgeries.

Pretty funny to hear his sons tell childhood stories about Bill as they call him.

Along with The Dead, I have seen him in the Pit at the Springsteen shows in Fenway in 2003. He is hard to miss.

I'll need to read the David Halberstam suggest by Traitor71. Halberstam is an enjoyable read.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I met him at MSG circa early 1990's when he did color on a Knicks Clippers game. He respectfully (with a chuckle) declined to autograph a pack of Zig Zags, but signed my ticket stub. I've seen him on the floor at Dead shows (last I remember was Phil and Friends at the Beacon 2003-ish), and it's funnier when I'm at a show with Larry Blucher and some stoner mistakes him for Bill, Blu is way shorter and has more hair!
This is reapeted here often by me over the years.

1) I picked him up hitchhiking in Hartford on way to a dead show. He had no business hitching at that point but that’s Walton.
2) he fed me beers ( st Pauli girls)from a soundboard cooler at a dead show in Philly
3) 2004 FF I gave him a “ steal your huskies “ shirt in a hotel elevator in San Antonio. Was hoping to see it on his wall during documentary. But he’s got too much swag. FWIW he LOVED the shirt and it was like 2 hours after our duke comeback so he was rolling.

August_West

Reaction Score
Big Red had the work/life balance thing figured out
I mean you could tell Lenny Wilkins didnt think so. I loved his inclusion in doc, because he was pretty bitter about Bill and him being hurt and being a thin vegetarian rookie season and then Jack Ramsay coming in right after and Bill was a monster to run to a title. But yeah, Thats my favorite thing about Walton. He drove everyone nuts in the establishment league but was true to himself.

Reaction Score
I mean you could tell Lenny Wilkins didnt think so. I loved his inclusion in doc, because he was pretty bitter about Bill and him being hurt and being a thin vegetarian rookie season and then Jack Ramsay coming in right after and Bill was a monster to run to a title. But yeah, Thats my favorite thing about Walton. He drove everyone nuts in the establishment league but was true to himself.
Haven't seen any of the 30 for 30 stuff on him.. One of his best traits..IMO..It that he has a great sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously.. As more of us should all do..

Reaction Score
I've never been a big Walton as a coverage guy. He has had an interesting life, but there is only so much of it and so much of the name dropping that I want to hear during a game. He does seem to have tempered it the last few games I've seen him coverage.
I' sure we all have met people who also dislike Dickie V., but with he and Walton, their love for the game comes through in spades. I can at least respect them for that and admire that part of their personality. Still would rather hear Walton any time then go back and listen to Sean McDonough and his disain for Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score

1) I picked him up hitchhiking in Hartford on way to a dead show. He had no business hitching at that point but that’s Walton.
2) he fed me beers ( st Pauli girls)from a soundboard cooler at a dead show in Philly
3) 2004 FF I gave him a “ steal your huskies “ shirt in a hotel elevator in San Antonio. Was hoping to see it on his wall during documentary. But he’s got too much swag. FWIW he LOVED the shirt and it was like 2 hours after our duke comeback so he was rolling.
Bill gave the most glowing post game commentary on UConn basketball I have ever heard after our 2014 Championship during the Westwood One post game radio/sat broadcast. He never runs out of adjectives but I think that night he was just on a roll. Despite his wandering attention he always, seems to pop back with information you'd think he could only get by tapping someone's phone. Just a very intellectually curious guy with a profound sense of humanity. But he did interrupt my view at a couple of shows too.

Reaction Score

I've shared this before - rode in a hotel elevator in NYC with him and talked UConn and Calhoun w/ him. Always regretted not asking about the Dead at the Pyramids.

August_West

Reaction Score
I've shared this before - rode in a hotel elevator in NYC with him and talked UConn and Calhoun w/ him. Always regretted not asking about the Dead at the Pyramids.
He did the trip on crutches

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom