Bill Simmons on DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Link

Excerpt:

You know what was interesting? They gave Candace Parker the MVP before the game, even though Taurasi is still the league's best player. As Taurasi laid the smack down — 30 points and seven assists — I was sitting there thinking, This is a little like the game when Hakeem got pissed because David Robinson won the '95 MVP and decided to kick his ass. So I told my daughter the Hakeem story, but her eyes were rolling back in her head from the Sour Patch Kids, and she has no idea who Robinson and Hakeem were. Other than that, she totally followed it. Regardless, we had fun and I support any event that includes (a) getting to watch the absolute best at something (in this case, Taurasi), and (b) getting three hours of quality time with my daughter, because in five years, she won't want to hang out with me anymore and it already makes me sad.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Who is to argue! Simply the best, hands down. It is always nice when one of those guys get it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I just spent about an hour trying to find Biff's never to be forgotten tribute to the never to be forgotten DT, but failed. I think this would be an appropriate place for someone to post Biff's "Simply the Best".

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I just spent about an hour trying to find Biff's never to be forgotten tribute to the never to be forgotten DT, but failed. I think this would be an appropriate place for someone to post Biff's "Simply the Best".
I'm not sure it works anymore. It is old technology. I'll find it and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Thanks Biff!! I really enjoyed seeing that video again! There's no one like her.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Being just about totally techless, I don't know if it is possible to renovate, update, modernize or whatever this gem, but if it can be done and you have the time, you really oughta. Best thing that has ever appeared in these hallowed pages. Simply the best thing ever to appear in these hallowed pages. By far. Thanks for the memories indeed!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Even I enjoyed it. Diana has "it" Whatever "it" is exactly.

For fans of other teams, few other UConn players were thought of quite as highly. Not necessarily liked when she was at UConn, but absolutely respected, and even feared. To outsiders, no one since has had "it"; Lobo before her was another one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
well here it is. It seems to be a little off but working for me. You need flashplayer and a little patience while it loads. :)

Simply the best
Flash apparently used to have a different meaning.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Biff, thanks a bunch. One of the photos in Simply The Best ignites a great memory. It is Diana with the ball in one hand giving the "call me" sign with the other. It was at Duke or Tennessee and the student section had really been ripping her all night in fairly crude/demeaning ways. The broadcast crew were offended - you could not hear it on the broadcast. So Diana, ever the advocate of "don't get mad, get even" lead U Conn to victory and ran down the line of the student section with the call me. Sweet at the time, still sweet.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Read that too. Nice that Bill Simmons has finally changed his tune regarding the wnba from his infamous 2005 article. Taking a daughter to a WBB game is awesome!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
well here it is. It seems to be a little off but working for me. You need flashplayer and a little patience while it loads. :)

Simply the best

This is awesome Biff....thanks for digging it up

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
This is why I'm going to Istanbul in 2014, come hell, high water or Grant Winning (fingers crossed).

We'll never see the likes of her again.

Reaction Score
After watching "Simply the Best" several times, I was drawn to the composite shot of the Boneyard Magazine issues. How can a lowly lurker like myself get a look at one of those? When were they in circulation? Would the library at UCONN have past issues?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Simply the best
I remember this program! I loved it. It made some great slide shows with it back in the day. '[=

Nice job with the slideshow. Diana is something special.

Reaction Score
Biff, thanks a bunch. One of the photos in Simply The Best ignites a great memory. It is Diana with the ball in one hand giving the "call me" sign with the other. It was at Duke or Tennessee and the student section had really been ripping her all night in fairly crude/demeaning ways. The broadcast crew were offended - you could not hear it on the broadcast. So Diana, ever the advocate of "don't get mad, get even" lead U Conn to victory and ran down the line of the student section with the call me. Sweet at the time, still sweet.
Duke.

Reaction Score

Simply the best
What a great job on that, Biff! Lots of good stuff about DT. And it loaded much more quickly than any of my work documents. ;)

Reaction Score
First time I've seen this piece. You did an amazing job and as stated above should update it! Geno has called DT "the greatest WINNER in WBB history!" Some people have knocked Diana for the 8 TF's she's gotten this season, but she plays with such passion she cannot stomach the referees being that awful and she says so! Several years ago I saw, then NY Liberty coach, Patty Coyle at the XL Center and asked her about the Officials and she said everyone knows the refs are terrible but you really can't say anything because the refs will pay you back and the League refuses to do anything about it! DT DOES say something everytime they prove their incompetence! She is so much fun to watch and I hope they can knock off the Sparks!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
First time I've seen this piece. You did an amazing job and as stated above should update it! Geno has called DT "the greatest WINNER in WBB history!" Some people have knocked Diana for the 8 TF's she's gotten this season, but she plays with such passion she cannot stomach the referees being that awful and she says so! Several years ago I saw, then NY Liberty coach, Patty Coyle at the XL Center and asked her about the Officials and she said everyone knows the refs are terrible but you really can't say anything because the refs will pay you back and the League refuses to do anything about it! DT DOES say something everytime they prove their incompetence! She is so much fun to watch and I hope they can knock off the Sparks!
DT is fun to watch and I sure hope for the knocking off of the Sparks.

I won't give DT the pass, though - if she only complained about "bad" calls, I'd agree, but the problem is she complains about every call. Bonner is worse - she can hack someone more or less intentionally and then complain to the ref she didn't do it - but she usually doesn't cross the invisible line and get the tech. If Diana has any complaint with the refs, it would be how fast they T her up but I have also seen refs give her some leeway. If you protest, and the ref puts up his hand and walks away, it is only hurting your team to follow him until he turns around and gives you a T. That happened at one of the games I attended.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Simply the best

Biff, I wish someone with your artistry would gather all those championship trophy pics (NC, Big East, tournaments, etc.) and put together a similar presentation. The music? Queen's rendition of "We Are the Champions!"

(Sorry, I don't do links. Somebody bail me out, please.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great Biff - the memory that was brought up was the Texas NCAA game where she turned almost certain defeat into an amazing victory.
And Buster the covers are all that every existed the rest of the mags were a figment of collective imagination - but the lifetime subscription still exist I think!
What I liked so much about the OP link is that it is simply glorying in the experience, not expressing surprise or amazement or an awakening. Too many of these mentions in traditional men's columns are full of that 'conversion' stuff.

Reaction Score
That was at Duke. One of the best memories I have of her. We won't see another like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom