Bill Raftery appreciation thread | The Boneyard

Bill Raftery appreciation thread

Reaction Score
He makes the game exciting without making the game about him. He really is a pro's pro.

Raftery made a point tonight that was spot on. The teams were just playing. Translation, both teams were well prepared, both understood what to do, and that gave them the freedom to "just play." Watching our Huskies this year, I often got the feeling that they were not comfortable. And that would lead to disjointed, unconnected performances.

Tonight, the game just flowed. They might have tried a little too hard to pound the ball inside. But that is a nit. For the most part they just played and it was a joy to watch. And Raft really gave you the feeling that he was enjoying himself thoroughly.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I cherish every game we have left with Raf. He’s 78. His color commentary is always more with less. It’s always authentic, positive and wants everyone to perform their best. He’s a true fan of everyone and that love of the game is why he’s great.

Best line of the night is when he said Kimani better be careful when he was amping up the crowd late.

Reaction Score
He makes the game exciting without making the game about him. He really is a pro's pro.

Raftery made a point tonight that was spot on. The teams were just playing. Translation, both teams were well prepared, both understood what to do, and that gave them the freedom to "just play." Watching our Huskies this year, I often got the feeling that they were not comfortable. And that would lead to disjointed, unconnected performances.

Tonight, the game just flowed. They might have tried a little too hard to pound the ball inside. But that is a nit. For the most part they just played and it was a joy to watch. And Raft really gave you the feeling that he was enjoying himself thoroughly.
Who doesnt like Raft? Ive always liked him and that seems to be the opinion of most people on here.

Reaction Score

Believe it or not, he was a heck of a good college player himself; watched him many times in the big five games in Phila.

Reaction Score
Raftery is good and doesn't dominate the game or filibuster or scream endlessly trying to create drama as if every game he does is the best ever played. We've seen other good games guys.

Reaction Score
Fun fact: Bill Rafferty was on the call with Clark Kellogg when we beat Texas at Gampel in 2010. Gave them both a fist bump at the announcers table after we stormed the court. He seems to be a bit of a good luck charm for UConn.

Reaction Score
Raft is the man, him and Calhoun are pretty close right? He always shows us love and shouts out our history and tradition

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Agree 100% on Raf. Tonight I had two gripes though.

-When Danny got tossed he kept saying "Let's just get back to basketball." Don't know exactly why, but that was annoying to me.
-We're down 4, 28s left and he was advising us to go for the quick 2...that's just a slow death vs an 84% FT team. It was pretty obvi that our only out was threes.

Regardless, he's the best.

Reaction Score

He's a legend for a reason. Well, actually for several reasons. Great to hear him call our games. I think he says Sunoco on purpose every now and then though. He seems to get it right sometimes.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% on Raf. Tonight I had two gripes though.

-When Danny got tossed he kept saying "Let's just get back to basketball." Don't know exactly why, but that was annoying to me.
-We're down 4, 28s left and he was advising us to go for the quick 2...that's just a slow death vs an 84% FT team. It was pretty obvi that our only out was threes.

Regardless, he's the best.
I think that may have been his way of saying "this is nonsense" without explicitly saying it. Announcers almost never comment negatively on officiating.

Reaction Score
I thought Kugler was great, too. It was a great call.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think that may have been his way of saying "this is nonsense" without explicitly saying it. Announcers almost never comment negatively on officiating.
I agree. That was his way of saying, enough of the refs making it about themselves.

Reaction Score
Offense comes later for teams, and by the time Hurley showed up the team just didn't have much of a system. No vets that could really lead. And then injuries decimated continuity. Last year our offense was centered on lottery talent who got injured. This is the first year where top to bottom you have guys in the program who really get it and can help the youngins. There have been injuries, but far fewer.

But even then, you're right: they were pressing. Consistently playing at a high level is hard, and having sets and reads be second nature in high pressure situations particularly so when you don't play a ton of those games—and when you don't win many that you do play.

This win wasn't just big for this season. Consistently playing and winning these types of games pays dividends in the coming years.

Reaction Score
As the years have went on FS1. Gus Johnson is better with Jim Jackson. Tim Brando is great with Bill Raftery. That said Kevin Kugler was excellent last night as well.

Reaction Score
I am one who doesn’t necessarily like listening to him. He’s not that bad, but it seems like he is too commercial. To me yesterday, he was trying too hard to find a way to compliment Gillespie, who was out of sorts because of our defense. He looked average at best but Rafftery was speaking as if he was playing at an all American level. He does this with all of these kinds of players. Gillespie is a good player, but if he’s struggling he’s struggling. Then I didn’t like him saying, UConn needs to just play now. We had been kicking their ass since the game started, we have been playing. He just always takes the side of the team that’s more the it team. Again he isn’t that bad, but he is too predictable to me. UConn is the little engine that could, while he compliments Villanova every chance he gets. Obviously we did a couple of things he should have commented negatively against us, but even without those things, I know what to expect from him…..and it’s old.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've been a fan of Bill Raftery for 40 years now. Hard to believe! His voice is synonymous with College Basketball in my mind.

My favorite joke (I think from Sean McDonough): "If you don't make the Hall of Fame Raft, your liver certainly should!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom