Bill Connelly UConn Preview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bill Connelly UConn Preview

Reaction Score
The games are 40 minutes. Celebrate when it’s over. You guys new here?
I got nervous for a minute but outside of that small stretch Purdue completely outplayed them

Reaction Score
I sense some good karma this year. I'm testing it with my pick of Tennessee to win the NCAA Men's Tournament. Go Vols.

Ehhhh....
8cD75Ac.gif

Reaction Score
3rd year of HCRE2.0's tenure and another 1 to 3 win season is ok? 3 wins gets HCRE2.0 to 7 and 29 in his return to head coaching since being fired from his HCREDreamJob1.0 and leaving his latest NFL gig. In less than 3 years will have 3 OC's (2 who left were not fired but wanted to get out; current OC was the OL coach!) and 2 DC's (stupendously bad hire for the job at hand in 2017 re turning a senior laden defense from a 4-3-4 to a gimmick 3-3-5).
Tremendous improvement needed to not crap the field again in 2019, wow, that is quite the encouraging thought to ponder. UConn should have its best OL in years and the team still looks like a double digit loser in 2019?
Since it seems like a lot on here "buy the doing it right scenario" of the "slooooow" build of the team would like to know when winning will matter as far as HCRE2.0 continued employment as head coach of UConn.
So many on here complain about being in the AAC and yet it's ok to be the league's butt boy? You realize my local Tulane boys went to a bowl game in 2018.
Bad coaching hires, bad recruiting, bad schemes, bad game day coaching and yet "all that is needed is patience".
Fooled me once with PP, fooled me twice with Red Pants, not going to fool me again.
It's never to early to stop going in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
If UCF can do it then why can't UConn... That went from sucking really bad one year to being a solid football the next and beyond.. It can happen (again) in Storrs

Reaction Score
If UCF can do it then why can't UConn... That went from sucking really bad one year to being a solid football the next and beyond.. It can happen (again) in Storrs
You forget that UCF was multiple conference champs prior to cratering in 2015. UCF has a sweet on campus stadium, is not land locked for facility expansion and has 50,000 students paying 5 bucks a credit to fuel the athletic department. The recruiting radius at UCF is incredible compared to the NE region. You are in the middle of a pipe dream if you think the two Programs have anything in common other than being in the same conference.

Reaction Score
Sobering review. I still think Edsall will find a way to win 3 or 4 games this fall with his guys on the roster and on the revamped coaching staff. Not great by any means, but moving in the right direction.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I gotta feeling that Nos thinks March is Izzo.

Reaction Score
I read the article and yes, we are in a hole. To improve, our record might not be great, but we should not give up 50+ points a game.

Reaction Score
I’ve got Texas Tech in my other bracket pool. Feeling very good about it.
We’re in Albany tonight for the women’s game. Who’s here?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Two wins. Wagner, and one game where we bring our "A" game and someone else brings their "F" game.

Glacial progress. By 2030 we'll be competitive.

Reaction Score
To me this is like the mess Greg Schiano inherited at ZRutgers. He went 2-11, 1-11, 4-7, 5-7 then took off...7-4,10-2, 8-5, 8-5 9-4, 4-8, 9-4. This at a place that hadn’t had a winning season literally in a generation and hadn’t put together back to back winning seasons in something like 35 years. And ZTerry Shea was the precursor of Bob Diaco without the wacky ideas. Like Rutgers this program needed a complete and total rebuild. Our players weren’t D1 caliber. In his early years Schiano lost to 1aa teams multiple times. He lost to UConn when it was a 1a transitional team. But once they made the turn he had a solid program. Edsall 1.0 was similar. Then they turned the corner after losing a game they should have won to Vanderbilt, then won several to end the year 6/6 and went from bad to solid from then on. It is tough and takes patience. And it’s tough when you are in the early years.

Reaction Score
We are FUBAR. Holding onto Crocker after 1 season was beyond foolish. The numbers told you do abd the eye test told you so. Losing Lashlee and Grimes was foolish. Not giving Weist a shot was foolish. Diaco was a clown show, but at least seemed like a good hire on paper. PP was a bad, uninspired “safety hire” from day 1 and went to crap fast. No accountability for a decade has its consequences.

AD has to set a floor on RE 2.0. Less than 4 wins, then time to hit the road. We need a quick hook mentality.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t know much - but I do know this:

Edsall back to UConn is going to be a cautionary tale to anyone who tries to rekindle old glory by hiring someone on the back end.

The state of this program is so ridiculously bad that anyone who can’t see it has a previously unrecognized variation of Stockholm Syndrome.

Fund it or kill it.

Reaction Score
To me this is like the mess Greg Schiano inherited at ZRutgers. He went 2-11, 1-11, 4-7, 5-7 then took off...7-4,10-2, 8-5, 8-5 9-4, 4-8, 9-4. This at a place that hadn’t had a winning season literally in a generation and hadn’t put together back to back winning seasons in something like 35 years. And ZTerry Shea was the precursor of Bob Diaco without the wacky ideas. Like Rutgers this program needed a complete and total rebuild. Our players weren’t D1 caliber. In his early years Schiano lost to 1aa teams multiple times. He lost to UConn when it was a 1a transitional team. But once they made the turn he had a solid program. Edsall 1.0 was similar. Then they turned the corner after losing a game they should have won to Vanderbilt, then won several to end the year 6/6 and went from bad to solid from then on. It is tough and takes patience. And it’s tough when you are in the early years.

Ok early years, Schiano got 4 wins in year 3; is there any number of wins HCRE2.0 MUST get in 2019 to continue being head coach of UConn in 2020?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don’t know much - but I do know this:

Edsall back to UConn is going to be a cautionary tale to anyone who tries to rekindle old glory by hiring someone on the back end.

The state of this program is so ridiculously bad that anyone who can’t see it has a previously unrecognized variation of Stockholm Syndrome.

Fund it or kill it.

Right now, we are a school who seems okay with the head coach having to forfeit 100k to try to keep an assistant coach (who left anyway), in a state that was completely fine with wasting over a year of time trying to get him to get rid of his son from a staff where seemingly the son was the only assistant out there recruiting.

Sometimes, I wonder if we even deserve nice things...

Reaction Score
Ok early years, Schiano got 4 wins in year 3; is there any number of wins HCRE2.0 MUST get in 2019 to continue being head coach of UConn in 2020?
4 wins. 1 -2 wins, he has to go. 3 is an argument and depends if the eye test there is progress. The bar is so low, I can’t see how they don’t improve by accident.

Reaction Score
There was no way we were holding on to Lashlee. Zero. His family absolutely hated it here. In the old days the “little woman” stood by her man regardless. It ain’t the old days any more.

Reaction Score
Apples and Oranges. Rutgers at least was in a Power 5 conference playing regional competition. They could recruit with an even chance. We cant steal a kid from BC/Rutgers or whoever. We're beating UMAss, New Hampshire and Delaware on kids.

Reaction Score
We need to get back to winning football. Edsall has had teams that were unexpectedly good. The 2002 team started 0-2 and got to 2-6 before putting together 4 wins to end the year. 2007 team was coming off 2 straight losing seasons and not much was expected of them but they ended up 9-4.

I’m not expecting much this year, 3-4 wins maybe but I’ve seen big turnarounds before.

Reaction Score
4 wins. 1 -2 wins, he has to go. 3 is an argument and depends if the eye test there is progress. The bar is so low, I can’t see how they don’t improve by accident.

The minimum bar should be 2 wins in 2019, 4 wins in 2020, 6 wins in 2021 and 7+ wins per year thereafter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom