Bilas: Top 10 coaches on the hotseat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bilas: Top 10 coaches on the hotseat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie in some way isn't the problem. The true problem was Jim Calhoun. He left the program in shambles with NCAA issues all over the place. And he left 2 weeks before practice started putting the AD in an impossible position. Even so, Kevin Ollie got an opportunity he hadn't earned, but to assume he gets to keep the job without demonstrating some capacity to succeed (i.e. wn basketball games) is just foolish.

Reaction Score
It has everything to do with Ollie. I want both coaches be to judged in a similar manner. Using your contention that it takes 3-5 years to build a team in football, as opposed to bb which probably only takes two years, I would argue that it is less critical to fire a bb coach after one losing season than a football coach. PP has coached two seasons and both seasons are losing seasons. By your calculations the football team may take another 5 years (worse case scenario) plus the two dismal seasons PP coached for a total of 7 potential bad seasons before becoming decent. If KO is given the same opportunity that you supported for PP and turns out to be as bad as PP after the second season, then UConn is four years removed from success.

You defend PP because he had to replace two key guys on the football team but you won't accommodate KO who was given a team without a viable 4 or 5.

I'm against your double standard, not your arguments. Personally I want to give PP the third year because I agree with you football takes 3- 5 years to prove things. I would give KO two more years because a bb coach needs two years to prove himself. I wouldn't count this season because recruiting might have been impacted by the short contract.
I', not defending Pasqualoni. I said if it were up to me I'd fire him after this year. How's that defending him? Last season, given the nature of the game of football I was willing to give him a pass. And here's another difference...Pasqualoni has a track record. He has produced some very good football teams. Ollie has ziltch. I'm sorry but the days are long passed when UConn is a place where you can come to learn your craft.We're not in the Yankee Conference anymore. You do that in the MAAC, the A-10, the Horizon, the NEC. I'm even willing to concede that in 10 years Ollie could well be a very good coach. The problem is, if we wait for that, UConn will be an afterthought.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I', not defending Pasqualoni. I said if it were up to me I'd fire him after this year. How's that defending him? Last season, given the nature of the game of football I was willing to give him a pass. And here's another difference...Pasqualoni has a track record. He has produced some very good football teams. Ollie has ziltch. I'm sorry but the days are long passed when UConn is a place where you can come to learn your craft.We're not in the Yankee Conference anymore. You do that in the MAAC, the A-10, the Horizon, the NEC. I'm even willing to concede that in 10 years Ollie could well be a very good coach. The problem is, if we wait for that, UConn will be an afterthought.
PP proves that track records mean zilch. Are you saying the football program can never rise again post PP? Of course not. PP is a setback which can be overcome with the right coach. The same applies to UConn men's bb. Ollie deserves the opportunity to prove himself whether you are anyone else feels his opportunity was wrongly gained. Kevin did not put a gun to WM's or JC's head to get the opportunity. He was/is a pawn in these events.

Even if the worst case scenario took place, that is KO was given a three year contract and failed by your standards, that would not be the end of the bb program. He could be fired after three years, and the person replacing him would only have a slight disadvantage from the opportunity he could have had if KO were never hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom