Bigs, Guards, and Wings | The Boneyard

Bigs, Guards, and Wings

Reaction Score
There has been a good deal of discussion in recent weeks about next season and who will be starting, etc. In the off-season, this is an interesting topic for discussion on the part of fans and I am going to weigh in with what I hope offers a somewhat different focus.

We can divide up the players into several categories or classes and, for the sake of discussion, I will be using guards, wings, and bigs.

Guards - Ashlynn Shade, KK Arnold, Ines Bettencourt, Azzi Fudd, Nika Muhl, Paige Bueckers (6)

Wings - Caroline Ducharme, Aubrey Griffin, Qadence Samuels (3)

Bigs - Aaliyah Edwards, Ayanna Patterson, Jana El Alfy, Ice Brady, Amari DeBerry (5)

Due to injuries, the team was short almost everywhere at one time or another last season, but the the Huskies did not have enough healthy guards last season. This year, however, should not be a problem. The squad has six players to fill two or three positions and one cannot look at the six players without feeling optimistic. One hopes that all will play and they will push the tempo.

The Huskies will probably always have one wing on the court. The likelihood is that Griffin will be starting and that Ducharme, if healthy at last, will get plenty of playing time and be counted upon as a scoring option. Samuels is gravy.

The one area in which the team seems light is with bigs or inside players. Aaliyah Edwards is returning for her senior year, will no doubt get the most playing time, and is an All-American candidate. Reports about El Afry and Brady are good and, if true, what might be considered a real concern will go away. Who knows what can be expected of Patterson and DeBarry. Neither played up to expectations last season and both are recovering from injuries.

Then there is the question of the parameters of the lineup. Three guards, one wing, one big?

Two guards, one wing, two bigs? Two guards, two wings, one big? Three guards, two bigs? No doubt we will see all these combinations this upcoming season provided no disabling injuries.

As of early July, therefore, prospects look bright, but it remains to be seen if the team is as good as LSU and South Carolina, the two most obvious contenders for a national title. And, one should not forget Iowa, Notre Dame, and Stanford who appear to be the remaining cream of the crop.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
There will always be a point guard on the floor. Nika, Paige, KK or Ines.

Other than that, Geno will mix and match depending on the situation and how he feels that day. Position-less basketball. I think we will see a smaller, pressing, fastbreak lineup quite a bit. Run, run, run as Tommy Heinsohn would say.

To get number 12 UConn needs to stay healthy and either Jana or Ice, or preferably both, need to be able to play competitively against the best centers in the country. There is reason to be optimistic in that regard, particularly Geno`s recent comments re Jana.

It is hard for me to imagine a championship game that does not involve UConn and LSU. Having said that, Notre Dame could jump in there, Virginia Tech or UCLA might as well. Stanford has no depth at all and while Iowa always has a shot with Clark around, I don`t see Iowa getting past UConn or LSU. South Carolina has lost a lot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There has been a good deal of discussion in recent weeks about next season and who will be starting, etc. In the off-season, this is an interesting topic for discussion on the part of fans and I am going to weigh in with what I hope offers a somewhat different focus.

We can divide up the players into several categories or classes and, for the sake of discussion, I will be using guards, wings, and bigs.

Guards - Ashlynn Shade, KK Arnold, Ines Bettencourt, Azzi Fudd, Nika Muhl, Paige Bueckers (6)

Bigs - Aaliyah Edwards, Ayanna Patterson, Jana El Alfy, Ice Brady, Amari DeBerry (5)

Due to injuries, the team was short almost everywhere at one time or another last season, but the the Huskies did not have enough healthy guards last season. This year, however, should not be a problem. The squad has six players to fill two or three positions and one cannot look at the six players without feeling optimistic. One hopes that all will play and they will push the tempo.

The Huskies will probably always have one wing on the court. The likelihood is that Griffin will be starting and that Ducharme, if healthy at last, will get plenty of playing time and be counted upon as a scoring option. Samuels is gravy.

The one area in which the team seems light is with bigs or inside players. Aaliyah Edwards is returning for her senior year, will no doubt get the most playing time, and is an All-American candidate. Reports about El Afry and Brady are good and, if true, what might be considered a real concern will go away. Who knows what can be expected of Patterson and DeBarry. Neither played up to expectations last season and both are recovering from injuries.

Then there is the question of the parameters of the lineup. Three guards, one wing, one big?

Two guards, one wing, two bigs? Two guards, two wings, one big? Three guards, two bigs? No doubt we will see all these combinations this upcoming season provided no disabling injuries.

As of early July, therefore, prospects look bright, but it remains to be seen if the team is as good as LSU and South Carolina, the two most obvious contenders for a national title. And, one should not forget Iowa, Notre Dame, and Stanford who appear to be the remaining cream of the crop.
Nice write up.

We are still doomed.

Reaction Score

Other than that, Geno will mix and match depending on the situation and how he feels that day. Position-less basketball. I think we will see a smaller, pressing, fastbreak lineup quite a bit. Run, run, run as Tommy Heinsohn would say.

To get number 12 UConn needs to stay healthy and either Jana or Ice, or preferably both, need to be able to play competitively against the best centers in the country. There is reason to be optimistic in that regard, particularly Geno`s recent comments re Jana.

It is hard for me to imagine a championship game that does not involve UConn and LSU. Having said that, Notre Dame could jump in there, Virginia Tech or UCLA might as well. Stanford has no depth at all and while Iowa always has a shot with Clark around, I don`t see Iowa getting past UConn or LSU. South Carolina has lost a lot.
Lauren Betts and Charisma Osborne ( UCLA ) are playing 'great' and 'solid ' BB ( IMO )at the FIBA Americup Championship,
in process now. That being said, I agree with UCONN, LSU, N.D., and UCLA. ( I have not looked at Virginia Tech recently,
but "why not"?

Reaction Score

Excellent post. I really hope we’ll always have a pg on the floor, at least one. We saw what happened when we didn’t have one against Princeton and Maryland. Inês did what she could but running a top 5 D1 offense against major competition was not yet within her powers. I have a feeling she’ll be much more ready this season. In the KLS/Phee/Gabby years the whole team was practically pg-ready. I want to see that again.

I also agree about Stanford and Iowa. I don’t think they have enough for this year. But if Caitlin can carry Iowa to another final four without Czinano she deserves every accolade she gets.

LSU and SC look to be solid competition, as well as Indiana VPI and Utah. And ND if Miles can come back. And UCLA might just put it together this year. I think this is going to be a very interesting year.

Reaction Score
Excellent post. I really hope we’ll always have a pg on the floor, at least one. We saw what happened when we didn’t have one against Princeton and Maryland. Inês did what she could but running a top 5 D1 offense against major competition was not yet within her powers. I have a feeling she’ll be much more ready this season. In the KLS/Phee/Gabby years the whole team was practically pg-ready. I want to see that again.

I also agree about Stanford and Iowa. I don’t think they have enough for this year. But if Caitlin can carry Iowa to another final four without Czinano she deserves every accolade she gets.

LSU and SC look to be solid competition, as well as Indiana VPI and Utah. And ND if Miles can come back. And UCLA might just put it together this year. I think this is going to be a very interesting year.

Caitlin is gonna get her accolades whether or not Iowa goes to the Final 4. They are all decided before the tournament starts.

Reaction Score

Good post. The only areas I might differ somewhat will be the always having a wing on the floor, and defining Aubrey as a wing. Like others I think always having a PG on the floor will happen, but I think we may play with three players classified as guards quite a bit of the time, mostly because Paige in addition to being the best PG, and potentially the best SG, is also probably the best SF even though it is not her best position.

I expect Nika, Azzi and Paige to be on the floor a lot together and if they are Paige might be the best choice for the 3 as she is longer and a much better rebounder than Azzi.

As for Aubrey I consider her as much 4/3 as 3/4. While Caroline is more 3/4 than 4/3. Aubrey was mostly a 4 her first two years and an excellent one despite her size. She did a great job at the 3 last year mostly because of injuries. This year Geno can use her in either role, and she represents a serious threat to Ayanna's playing time behind Aaliyah, and a very different skill set to Caroline if at the 3.

Reaction Score
Texas is also gonna be very good this season. With Harmon, Gonzalez, Holle, running the front court and they also got booker who is really talented. They also have a deep bench especially with bigs. Tennesee also looks very good to me, unlike the year they had last year I think they will be likely be really good to with Jackson, spears, wells, and tamari returning. Louisville is a big question because basically there whole team is transfers but if they come together they will be good too

Reaction Score
Texas is also gonna be very good this season. With Harmon, Gonzalez, Holle, running the front court and they also got booker who is really talented. They also have a deep bench especially with bigs. Tennesee also looks very good to me, unlike the year they had last year I think they will be likely be really good to with Jackson, spears, wells, and tamari returning. Louisville is a big question because basically there whole team is transfers but if they come together they will be good too
I agréé about Texas. They should be significantly better, especially if Moore is healthy

Reaction Score
Due to recent injury history, I think Geno will manage minutes very carefully and play the bench more this year. Even if it means more regular season losses. As we saw last year, seeding doesn't matter match compared to how healthy you are and who is available in March. This is a change for Geno, but with the quality depth this season, I think it's the prudent way to go.

Reaction Score
think this is going to be a very interesting year.
I think Iowa is going to be stronger in the frontcourt this year despite losing Czinano, and will be stronger in 23-24 than in 22-23. And I agree that it will be a VERY interesting year

Reaction Score
I think Iowa is going to be stronger in the frontcourt this year despite losing Czinano, and will be stronger in 23-24 than in 22-23. And I agree that it will be a VERY interesting year
Can you say how you see their roster working out to make this happen? I'm interested.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Due to recent injury history, I think Geno will manage minutes very carefully and play the bench more this year. Even if it means more regular season losses. As we saw last year, seeding doesn't matter match compared to how healthy you are and who is available in March. This is a change for Geno, but with the quality depth this season, I think it's the prudent way to go.
I think that would be a great idea. With the last couple of years at the back of his mind, he might be more receptive to playing more players in case the injury bug strikes again. Having talented players get enough minutes so they can function as a UConn basketball player if called upon will be an asset. With the bench talent that we will have, having more players available with some good PT in the books will only ease his and our minds if disaster occurs again. I hope Geno sees it that way.

Reaction Score
Oh my!

I agree that Stanford will be (relatively) down this year. UCLA has more weapons than they've had under Close. Can they make a run?
Agreed, UCLA could be really strong. Adding Betts following Kiki Rice’s very promising freshman season. Not to mention Osbourne. If Rice makes a sophomore leap, they could potentially top the Pac12.

By 2024-2025 season I think Rice and Betts will be a real force.

Reaction Score

A Wing is a 2/3. A clear definition of a Wing specifcially identifies the SG as a Wing also.

Reaction Score
I think that would be a great idea. With the last couple of years at the back of his mind, he might be more receptive to playing more players in case the injury bug strikes again. Having talented players get enough minutes so they can function as a UConn basketball player if called upon will be an asset. With the bench talent that we will have, having more players available with some good PT in the books will only ease his and our minds if disaster occurs again. I hope Geno sees it that way.
This seems right to me. But now you have me thinking about a remark Geno made at the GHO interview, that Nika had played roughly 10 more games than the starters on any other team they met. He could address this by playing a deep bench rotation in Nov-Jan until he eventually settles into the familiar 5+2 pattern by March. This way he could have “the usual suspects” play 35+ mins in the tournament without having exhausted them during the season.

Reaction Score
As for Aubrey I consider her as much 4/3 as 3/4. While Caroline is more 3/4 than 4/3. Aubrey was mostly a 4 her first two years and an excellent one despite her size. She did a great job at the 3 last year mostly because of injuries. This year Geno can use her in either role, and she represents a serious threat to Ayanna's playing time behind Aaliyah, and a very different skill set to Caroline if at the 3.
Rather than trying to label them by position it might be better to say that Griffin is an extremely athletic 6'1 who specializes in lockdown defense, rebounding and running the floor while Ducharme is a 6'2 three way scorer who plays best in pressure situations. Ducharme will play when either Fudd or Bueckers is sitting to offset the loss of outside shooting. Both are great at what they do and showcase the versatile roster that Geno has to work with.

Reaction Score
Geno didn't play his bench last year when he was almost forced to so I don't see him changing his approach, ever.

Reaction Score

I don't see any reason to think they need wings on this roster to be successful. The reality for me anyway is both Paige and Azzi are as good as any wing in the country even if that isn't their primary position. They both have a great feel for where the ball is coming off the rim which allows them to get rebounds and they both play decent defense.

I do agree they have a lot of players that we as fans are counting on that we haven't seen play at this level. But any team with 3 All Americans (and the 2 time defensive player of the year) has enough of a nucleus to compete against any team out there. In the end I expect the 4 knowns and the best defensive big player they have that we haven't seen yet to be the starters.

Reaction Score
Geno didn't play his bench last year when he was almost forced to so I don't see him changing his approach, ever.
LoL. What bench? He barely had enough players to field a team. We now know Ono wasn't physically and mentally ready to play big minutes. AP was battling injuries. He did play Ines somewhat but she wasn't ready. This year Geno has a much deeper and quality bench. He has more options.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As far as guards are concerned, he didn't have a bench.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ummmm, no. Geno is not gonna play his bench just to play his bench if it means UCONN loses. Never has (unless forced to by injuries). If, however, he has a good bench that he trusts, he'll play them plenty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom