Biggest "what ifs" in UConn History | The Boneyard

Biggest "what ifs" in UConn History

Reaction Score
My friend and I were playing a fun game the other day about the biggest "what ifs" in sports history. What if the Red Sox never sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees? What if Michael Jordan never retired in 1993? I got to thinking about it, and there are a bunch of really interesting "what ifs" in UConn women's basketball history. What are some of your favorites?

One that immediately came to mind is- had Azura Stevens stayed one more year, UConn probably wins another championship.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Couple of big ones when you look at how titles panned out:
1. What if Hunter picked UCONN off the bat? UCONN would've had an imposing presence inside from 2004-2007.

2. What if Goring qualified academically? Big 6-7 post with good finishing ability around the basket, would've played 4 years with Strother/Turner. The DT hangover effect would've been much less IMO.

3. What if EDD stays? This is probably the biggest one. Even without her they had 2 undefeated seasons, but with her they are overwhelming favorites to win it all in 2011 and likely duke it out with Baylor in 2013.

I could do these all day for Tennessee, especially during the Pat years when they were always in the title hunt.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What if Boston didnt change her mind at the end & picked UConn instead? This thread would not exist & UConn probably wins the championship this year.
“Changed her mind at the end”? Anything else you care to share with us?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What if Shea hadn’t been injured in the BE Championship...no way ND wins the NC.

ND routed UCONN by 16 in the regular season when UCONN had both Abrosimova and Ralph.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What if Shea hadn’t been injured in the BE Championship...no way ND wins the NC.

If Tournament Shea had stepped onto the court in the ‘01 FF, quoting Geno, it would have been “game over.”
You could add her first injury in as well and Shea might have been a three time winner!

Reaction Score
ND routed UCONN by 16 in the regular season when UCONN had both Abrosimova and Ralph.
Yup. Not sure a 16 point loss qualifies as a rout but that was an ugly day for sure. My National Flag Blue perspective is based on the way Tournament Shea et al usually played in March.

Reaction Score
UConn didn’t win the one year Azure played
We were losing in the first half till Geno subbed her in, we started winning and for some reason he took her out later in the second half.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What if Edsall hadn't bolted after the Fiesta Bowl? No Pasqualoni, no Diaco.

What if Boston College hadn't blacked balled our ACC bid? We were slated to go the ACC with Syracuse instead of Pitt.

What if Saniya holds the ball until the clock had wound down? (Alternatively, what if that foul was called and she won it at the line?)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yup. Not sure a 16 point loss qualifies as a rout but that was an ugly day for sure. My National Flag Blue perspective is based on the way Tournament Shea et al usually played in March.

Maybe not a rout by UCONN standards, but it wasn't a competitive game. Notre Dame led the entire way and was up by 15-20 most of the final 10 min. Having Ralph and Abrosimova definitely could've helped big time, but to say "no way ND wins the NC" just isn't accurate IMO since they handily beat UCONN when both teams were at full strength and lost at the buzzer on the road in the BE tourney.

And Shea was a POY caliber player in 2000 but was a shell of herself in 2001. Still a good player but not an All American. Seemed like her knees finally caught up with her that year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What if Sabrina would have committed to Uconn.

IIRC UCONN wasn't even in the mix for her. Cox had UCONN as a finalist though. She definitely could've been a difference maker the past couple seasons (and this one). Also would've given UCONN a ridiculous stretch of landing 4 consecutive #1 recruits which I don't think has ever been done.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
What if Shoni Schimmel misses that shot and Griner and Baylor go on to beat Louisville and play UConn.

What if Geno left for the NBA

What if Evina was healthy and allowed to play?

Seems like a fun game at first, but then not so much.

Reaction Score
Maybe not a rout by UCONN standards, but it wasn't a competitive game. Notre Dame led the entire way and was up by 15-20 most of the final 10 min. Having Ralph and Abrosimova definitely could've helped big time, but to say "no way ND wins the NC" just isn't accurate IMO since they handily beat UCONN when both teams were at full strength and lost at the buzzer on the road in the BE tourney.

And Shea was a POY caliber player in 2000 but was a shell of herself in 2001. Still a good player but not an All American. Seemed like her knees finally caught up with her that year.
All of your logic is killing me ! One little piece of March Memory in the BE Championship is consoling. Shea was dominant in the first half and UConn looked like they were taking control - like during the first half of the FF matchup. My argument may be weakening...but I’m old and a hopeless romantic !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What if Geno was 6” taller with D1 basketball skills? Would he ever have ended up coaching a lowly WBB team out of a tiny office in Storrs, CT? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom