Biggest shock of the Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Biggest shock of the Tournament

Reaction Score
Olivia playing so poorly. I thought she would have a break out game against the smaller Arizona forwards. Looks like the moment was too much for her. Tough one.

Reaction Score
I was surprised by a few teams having faster/quicker point guards (or guards n general) compared to UConn. I guess 8 years of MoJet and Crystal can do that to ya.

Reaction Score
Other than UConn losing to Arizona. Who saw that coming?

Overall, I felt the theme of the tourney was that good defense can shut down good offense, and is a great equalizer. This was most evident in the Texas win over Maryland. After watching Maryland in the Big Ten Tourney, and the first two games of the NCAA tourney, they seemed a juggernaut destined to score 100 every game. But Texas shut them down. So, that was the biggest "shock" to me. What, if anything, was a shock to you? The officiating was not a shock, we should be used to that by now, unfortunately.
I agree with the Texas win 100%. Maryland was steamrolling everyone. And Texas could not come close to handling their next opponent, South Carolina....it was a walkover game. I think Arizona is a close second when it comes to surprises. They manhandled UCONN form the tip-off and then came out "flat" against Stanford. But they rallied, even on a huge off-day for McDonald. Arizona missed lay-ups ( I remember a perfect in-bound play from under the hoop where an open lay-up was blown); and left many points on the free throw line ( including from " dead eye" shooter McDonald. ). Still, they only lose by one. They clearly could be champs. The only reason Stanford beat them is because they play them so often, and know what to expect and how to react. They also have some great players. But they were not clearly the better team. Better to be lucky than good.

Reaction Score
Iowa. Not even ranked at any point in the season, yet made Sweet Sixteen. But now, they're ranked #9 in the upcoming season with all players returning!

Reaction Score
Biggest shock, Texas beating Maryland. I had Maryland losing to South Carolina. My next shocker was Indiana. Loved watching them play this year. Great program that is on the rise with an wonderful coach. But same with Maryland. NC State was playing on a different level. Indiana balled out against NC State. But this was great tournament. That run by Arizona was epic!! They almost completed the deal too! But loved this season.

Reaction Score
Biggest shocker- Aari going only 5-20 in the Final.... and also missing 4 foul shots (8-12)......(where was that stuff Fri nite??????? ?)...
Also Stanford only 2-2 on FT in Final... ...?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Biggest shocker- Aari going only 5-20 in the Final.... and also missing 4 foul shots (8-12)......(where was that stuff Fri nite??????? ?)...
She got better looks vs UCONN. When she had daylight from 3 against either team she was hitting shots. Difference was Wilson blanketed her all game in the final. When Aari forced it, shots weren't falling. She had a great showing vs UCONN but didn't exactly light it up, she shot 41% from the floor and went 8-11 from the line. Her efficiency and overall numbers were far better in regionals.

Reaction Score
The biggest shock is the girls openly conceding they took Arizona lightly... That's gotta sting something special!
If that's true, it's a coaching issue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Aari was insanely hot for a few games. Including that hot stretch, she shot 41/35/77 on the season. She's a heck of a player, but not an elite shooter. In comparison, Paige shot 52/46/87.

Reaction Score
She got better looks vs UCONN. When she had daylight from 3 against either team she was hitting shots. Difference was Wilson blanketed her all game in the final. When Aari forced it, shots weren't falling. She had a great showing vs UCONN but didn't exactly light it up, she shot 41% from the floor and went 8-11 from the line. Her efficiency and overall numbers were far better in regionals.
I thought we did a really good job on her in the second half. She weaves through everybody to make a bank shot (the one Christyn fouled out on) where you tip your cap. But her early offense gave them a lead and their D was good enough to hold it.

I also should give Aari a ton of credit for her second half against us, when she was pretty quiet (7 points i think before we fouled on purpose a few times). She played a very mature half. She tore it up in the first half and could have had a mindset of making it the McDonald show, but she took on the extra attention and let her teammates make the plays to hold the lead, rather than maybe taking bad shots and letting us get out and run or get momentum.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I thought we did a really good job on her in the second half. She weaves through everybody to make a bank shot (the one Christyn fouled out on) where you tip your cap. But her early offense gave them a lead and their D was good enough to hold it.

I also should give Aari a ton of credit for her second half against us, when she was pretty quiet (7 points i think before we fouled on purpose a few times). She played a very mature half. She tore it up in the first half and could have had a mindset of making it the McDonald show, but she took on the extra attention and let her teammates make the plays to hold the lead, rather than maybe taking bad shots and letting us get out and run or get momentum.
Agree with this. First half is where she went off and created the separation, and she wasn't able to do that vs Stanford which was ultimately the difference in both games IMO. Against Stanford she started forcing the issue too much and played hero ball rather than looking to get teammates involved.

Reaction Score
Before the game, Geno said in an interview that he didn’t know how they were going to stop McDonald. In the second half, they contained her. That game was won by Arizona’s defense.
As incredible as Arizona played, and as poorly as UConn played, hitting 5 out of 20 layups was the difference in the game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Don't know if I would call this a shock, but a lot of the very hyped players who I thought had disappointing regular seasons really showed up in the NCAA Tournament: Haley Jones, Zia Cooke, Dana Evans, Aari McDonald...to an extent Christyn Williams.

Reaction Score
If what Christyn said was really the case, that's a huge surprise. The reason this team has had so many winning streaks is because we don't do that. Maybe it was the youth and immaturity.
I trust her words. Goes to what Geno was saying about immaturity, not just on the court.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Don't know if I would call this a shock, but a lot of the very hyped players who I thought had disappointing regular seasons really showed up in the NCAA Tournament: Haley Jones, Zia Cooke, Dana Evans, Aari McDonald...to an extent Christyn Williams.
I'd add in Sedona Prince

Reaction Score
I think the biggest shock of the tournament and the most wonderful thing about it was that it was played. And not a single team forfeited a game because of covid (or for any other reason).

Reaction Score
The biggest shock is the girls openly conceding they took Arizona lightly... That's gotta sting something special!
Wait! Did someone besides Christyn say they took them lightly?

Reaction Score
Wait! Did someone besides Christyn say they took them lightly?
When Paige and Evina were asked about it they didn't deny the statement from Christyn, they in fact promised not to take anyone light again. Christyn is a leader of the team, she represents the pulse of it, I believe she was honest when she said it.

Reaction Score
When Paige and Evina were asked about it they didn't deny the statement from Christyn, they in fact promised not to take anyone light again.
That's really disappointing.

Reaction Score
She was 7-17 against Uconn, marginally better but not remotely “unstoppable” as some have proclaimed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom