Biggest off-season need Andre Jackson working in n basketball fundamentals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Biggest off-season need Andre Jackson working in n basketball fundamentals

Reaction Score
My thoughts on Andre are complicated. He was pretty bad this year. I think the reason we are so excited about him is because he CAN do a lot of things most guys can't, but just doesn't know WHEN to yet.

He can block shots, handle it well for a 6'7 guy, get steals, play great man D, pass VERY well, rebound etc. He just doesn't really know when to do any of those things yet.

That versatility makes him really interesting. Cole will never have his hops. Rese will never pass as well. Gaffney won't block shots like he can. Polley won't rebound in traffic, etc.

Those guys CAN'T do those things. Andre isn't doing them consistently yet, but it's obvious that if he gets enough game reps he has the potential to.

The problem is those are tough things Tyler Phommachanh learn in the offseason doing skill work and team practices, whereas learning to shoot and get a straight-line drive to the rim he could learn over the summer to an extent.

I think an astounding sophomore campaign for Andre could be something like 8/5/3 with 20mpg or so and 30% from 3.

His development would really help Cole to thrive as a catch and shoot guy who attacks closeouts and gets his floater going--that seemed to be his strength late in the season. He's also our best post-feed passet and could help Sanogo get to 12-14ppg or better.

If we use Polley and Hawkins better in our offense next season (big if), I could see them feasting on passes from Andre to the wings and corners for 3s.

The only one I'm not sure benefits from Andre developing would be Rese. If we go bigger with Whaley or Johnson or Springs at the 4 a bit, that wouldn't leave much room for him.

Reaction Score
With elite athleticism and being a student of the game, Andre should be filling up the stat sheet even without being a plus sharpshooter. He hasn't yet. For several reasons, I do not think he ever got his footing last year. Think of all the ways Bouknight scored that were not reliant on superior shooting. The pullup jumper and threes may take a while, but here's hoping we see lobs, back-door cuts, steals and fast breaks, put backs, bullying his man down, etc. until his shot is noticeably smoother and better.

Reaction Score
With elite athleticism and being a student of the game, Andre should be filling up the stat sheet even without being a plus sharpshooter. He hasn't yet. For several reasons, I do not think he ever got his footing last year. Think of all the ways Bouknight scored that were not reliant on superior shooting. The pullup jumper and threes may take a while, but here's hoping we see lobs, back-door cuts, steals and fast breaks, put backs, bullying his man down, etc. until his shot is noticeably smoother and better.

Yes, but Bouk was able to pull off much of that half-court scoring BECAUSE he was a threat to shoot. When a defender can sag off 10+ feet from Andre (seriously), he's never going to be a threat to backdoor cut--even put backs are harder because you can't sneak behind guys.

We'll be a better team if we get Andre running in transition. I can definitely agree with that. I just don't see how he becomes a half-court scoring threat without some semblance of a shot--even if it's a mid-range J.

Reaction Score
Yes, but Bouk was able to pull off much of that half-court scoring BECAUSE he was a threat to shoot. When a defender can sag off 10+ feet from Andre (seriously), he's never going to be a threat to backdoor cut--even put backs are harder because you can't sneak behind guys.

We'll be a better team if we get Andre running in transition. I can definitely agree with that. I just don't see how he becomes a half-court scoring threat without some semblance of a shot--even if it's a mid-range J.
I knew I opened the door for your comment. Don't disagree, but still think Andre should look to be getting more. Bouk is an elite scorer, but many of his points did not come from defenders overplaying him.

Reaction Score
I knew I opened the door for your comment. Don't disagree, but still think Andre should look to be getting more. Bouk is an elite scorer, but many of his points did not come from defenders overplaying him.

I think I'm just thinking more "great scorer" and you're saying "just score more"

He'll get points in the ways you describe. If he wants to be a 15ppg guy and get to the league, it'll take a 3pt shot is all.

Like I said, I'd be thrilled if he could get to 20-25mpg without fouling out all the time, and get something like 8ppg/5prg/3apg next year. He could probably do that without much of a 3pt game, especially if he can start getting a basic dribble-drive to the rim down attacking a closeout.

Reaction Score
KIdd should absolutely be the player he emulates. BTW, that is not a comparison. That is an example of what he should try to be.

There is one comparison of the two, neither was a very good freshman three point shooter.
Well I guess one’s reach should exceed one’s grasp. Oh and just for funzies Kidd led the NCAA in steals as a freshman with 110. Jackson had 7 which didn’t put him in the top of the team. Kidd shot 28.6 % from 3 as a freshman. Jackson 11.8. If he improves to 29% it will be a huge improvement.

I hope he is the great player you guys think he is. But in 35-40 years of following UConn I’ve seen a whole bunch of guys with big talent that everybody said could be the next great but that never made it. I’ll buy into Jackson when he starts producing on a consistent basis.

Reaction Score
He (and the fans) should understand it's not going to all come at once. Kidd kept improving his game many seasons into his pro career.

If Jackson can becoming a somewhat consistent shooter, then the paint opens up for him and with that raw skillset, watch out.

Reaction Score
Brown was clearly a forward at Cal. He only shot 30% from 3 so yeah, he improved a ton in that area and handling the ball. But he was already 6’7 225 and strong as hell. He was conference freshman of the year and a top 5 recruit. I think Ainge picked him party for his brain, dude is smart.

Andre is quite a bit more raw than Brown. I think he has amazing potential if he can learn to shoot and get a little stronger. I am less worried about him as a 3 point threat than seeing if he can put the ball on the floor an attack the rim. We have seen very little of Andre doing this.

We have seen very little of Andre attacking the rim because defenders were sagging off of him by about 10 feet. He can definitely attack he just needs to improve his shooting so he can draw defenders closer and then blow by them

Reaction Score
He’s got the size athletic ability and raw skills of a star type basketball player.
But to be fair he needs extensive fundamental work on his game. He’s a game changing athlete from the 1 position if he can dramatically move up his fundamentals— as in a top 10 nba draft pick if he can move his game up. While we have other possible pros. No one has more upside than Jackson
A shot Dr. Then unleash this beast. Better athlete than even Scott Burrell, who I think has been Huskies best male hoops athlete ever until Jackson.

Reaction Score
He (and the fans) should understand it's not going to all come at once. Kidd kept improving his game many seasons into his pro career.

If Jackson can becoming a somewhat consistent shooter, then the paint opens up for him and with that raw skillset, watch out.
Really it is an awful comparison. They are starting at 2 different levels. If Jackson could shoot 29% from 3 it would at least make him a weapon. But teams didn’t even bother guarding him at the arc. And he didn’t shoot when he was unguarded. To me the more likely question for Hurley is do you just forget about scoring and try to make him a lockdown defender like Ricky Moore was. Of course Ricky could score when necessary and maybe Jackson will at the rim when people don’t expect it. Of course lockdown defenders don’t go to the NBA so that will be a problem. Then again neither do guards who shoot 12% from 3.

Reaction Score
Let's let Jackson have his first injury-free off season with no Covid hurdles for skill development and targeted SnC before the Yard dismisses his huge upside for next year.

He's a smart kid. He now knows the speed of the college game and the type of athletes he's going up against every night. My opinion is that he'll adjust and be an X factor for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Let's let Jackson have his first injury-free off season with no Covid hurdles for skill development and targeted SnC before the Yard dismisses his huge upside for next year.

He's a smart kid. He now knows the speed of the college game and the type of athletes he's going up against every night. My opinion is that he'll adjust and be an X factor for the upcoming season.
As the old Steve Martin gag goes how do you be a millionaire and never pay taxes. Step 1. Get a million dollars. That’s kind of the way you’re looking at this. And people trying to compare him th Jason Kidd, the PAC 12,freshman of the year his freshman season at Cal. I guess you couldn’t spell Jordan...Maybe this kid becomes a nice player. But honestly he was not good. Forget about the odd sportscenter dunks. Look at the body of work. He needs to make a huge jump just to be pretty good.

Reaction Score
As the old Steve Martin gag goes how do you be a millionaire and never pay taxes. Step 1. Get a million dollars. That’s kind of the way you’re looking at this. And people trying to compare him th Jason Kidd, the PAC 12,freshman of the year his freshman season at Cal. I guess you couldn’t spell Jordan...Maybe this kid becomes a nice player. But honestly he was not good. Forget about the odd sportscenter dunks. Look at the body of work. He needs to make a huge jump just to be pretty good.
I'm not making comparisons to anyone. Just let him be himself.

Think he'll be working his butt off this summer. I don't think he was ever 100% healthy last year but my guess is -- Despite that challenge-Neither he nor DH were thrilled about his first year.

Looking forward to seeing his progress next season.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's going to be an overnight transformation. Changing your shot is hard work so I don't expect to see the work fully come to fruition next year.

In the meantime, he needs to stay on the floor, first and foremost. Playing tough defense without fouling and improving his handle enough so he can take it to the basket. I think that will net him about 6-10 points a game, even if it is from put backs and free throws.

Once he gets the shot headed in the right direction, I don't think there a reason not to expect 12-14 points a game on a few outside shots.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's going to be an overnight transformation. Changing your shot is hard work so I don't expect to see the work fully come to fruition next year.

In the meantime, he needs to stay on the floor, first and foremost. Playing tough defense without fouling and improving his handle enough so he can take it to the basket. I think that will net him about 6-10 points a game, even if it is from put backs and free throws.

Once he gets the shot headed in the right direction, I don't think there a reason not to expect 12-14 points a game on a few outside shots.
He doesn’t belong on the floor unless he is producing. We can’t afford that. If he isn’t scoring and isn’t defending without fouling he needs to be on the the bench.

Reaction Score
Kidd was not as big but in his day he was considered a big point guard. He also had a terrible three point percentage as a frosh. We tend to forget that Dre was hurt in the preseason before being injured in-season. He missed a lot of prep time.
Also the covid stuff limited his development. Pretty talented kid, would love to see him put it all together because he would be fun to watch.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
AJ needs to live in the gym putting up jumpers and free throws. All the other skills he's good and those will improve as well. Love his playmaking ability and clearly his athleticism is extraordinary. When his jumper gets good he will be ridiculously scary for opponents.

Reaction Score
My thoughts on Andre are complicated. He was pretty bad this year. I think the reason we are so excited about him is because he CAN do a lot of things most guys can't, but just doesn't know WHEN to yet.

He can block shots, handle it well for a 6'7 guy, get steals, play great man D, pass VERY well, rebound etc. He just doesn't really know when to do any of those things yet.

That versatility makes him really interesting. Cole will never have his hops. Rese will never pass as well. Gaffney won't block shots like he can. Polley won't rebound in traffic, etc.

Those guys CAN'T do those things. Andre isn't doing them consistently yet, but it's obvious that if he gets enough game reps he has the potential to.

The problem is those are tough things Tyler Phommachanh learn in the offseason doing skill work and team practices, whereas learning to shoot and get a straight-line drive to the rim he could learn over the summer to an extent.

I think an astounding sophomore campaign for Andre could be something like 8/5/3 with 20mpg or so and 30% from 3.

His development would really help Cole to thrive as a catch and shoot guy who attacks closeouts and gets his floater going--that seemed to be his strength late in the season. He's also our best post-feed passet and could help Sanogo get to 12-14ppg or better.

If we use Polley and Hawkins better in our offense next season (big if), I could see them feasting on passes from Andre to the wings and corners for 3s.

The only one I'm not sure benefits from Andre developing would be Rese. If we go bigger with Whaley or Johnson or Springs at the 4 a bit, that wouldn't leave much room for him.
To me what makes Andre intriguing besides his athleticism is his ability to pass. His vision and thinking a step ahead only a few players have. In particular, he seems to have some connection with Adama in terms of both knowing what the other is thinking. Granted it only manifested itself a couple times last season in games but it’s there. They say they just naturally read the other well.
Because he had a late growth spurt he did develop guard skills, except shooting. His athleticism made that unnecessary against the competition he faced at the time.
The only thing holding Andre back is his shooting. He has everything else, including a love for the game and its history. He knows what he needs to do and now he needs to do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom