Biggest off-season need Andre Jackson working in n basketball fundamentals | The Boneyard

Biggest off-season need Andre Jackson working in n basketball fundamentals

Reaction Score
He’s got the size athletic ability and raw skills of a star type basketball player.
But to be fair he needs extensive fundamental work on his game. He’s a game changing athlete from the 1 position if he can dramatically move up his fundamentals— as in a top 10 nba draft pick if he can move his game up. While we have other possible pros. No one has more upside than Jackson

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He has so much room to grow it's insane. If anyone can remember when Jaylen Brown first got to the NBA I'd say that's where Andre Jackson is right now (way better passer of course). It's on Hurley to get that lottery pick potential out of him.

Reaction Score
He’s got the size athletic ability and raw skills of a star type basketball player.
But to be fair he needs extensive fundamental work on his game. He’s a game changing athlete from the 1 position if he can dramatically move up his fundamentals— as in a top 10 nba draft pick if he can move his game up. While we have other possible pros. No one has more upside than
understatement. I really hope Andre can show he can score. I'm not down on him but many have been overrating Jackson. It will be incredible determination if he becomes a first rounder let alone a top 10.

Reaction Score
He has so much room to grow it's insane. If anyone can remember when Jaylen Brown first got to the NBA I'd say that's where Andre Jackson is right now (way better passer of course). It's on Hurley to get that lottery pick potential out of him.
Lol. One player was a one and done top-3 pick the other averages like two points a game and shot 11% from 3.

Reaction Score
Jaylen Brown is a great comp although Brown was more skilled as a scorer as a Cal freshman and I think Andre is more explosive and definitely the better passer.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lol. One player was a one and done top-3 pick the other averages like two points a game and shot 11% from 3.
Understood. Just meant in terms of having a long way to go development wise but seeing the talent there. When Brown got to the NBA he could hardly do anything outside of play some defense and be athletic. Now he's averaging 25 a game. Brown obviously the better play but I think Andre have a high developing curve like Jaylen did being so raw.

Reaction Score
Obviously I love him because he can do the things that ultimately contribute to winning basketball,
Excellent one on one defender
Excellent court vision
Great passer

The last two skills are negated by his shooting however he doesn’t have to be great but good enough so he keeps the defense honest as a sagging D negates those and also his slashing skills.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Understood. Just meant in terms of having a long way to go development wise but seeing the talent there. When Brown got to the NBA he could hardly do anything outside of play some defense and be athletic. Now he's averaging 25 a game. Brown obviously the better play but I think Andre have a high developing curve like Jaylen did being so raw.

Brown was clearly a forward at Cal. He only shot 30% from 3 so yeah, he improved a ton in that area and handling the ball. But he was already 6’7 225 and strong as hell. He was conference freshman of the year and a top 5 recruit. I think Ainge picked him party for his brain, dude is smart.

Andre is quite a bit more raw than Brown. I think he has amazing potential if he can learn to shoot and get a little stronger. I am less worried about him as a 3 point threat than seeing if he can put the ball on the floor an attack the rim. We have seen very little of Andre doing this.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
But to be fair he needs extensive fundamental work on his game. He’s a game changing athlete from the 1 position if he can dramatically move up his fundamentals— as in a top 10 nba draft pick if he can move his game up. While we have other possible pros. No one has more upside than Jackson
Always a breath of fresh air, Scrappy.

Reaction Score
The Cal player Dre should emulate is Jason Kidd.
Kidd was not as Big or Athletic but
Certainly was a great PG. His shooting was always a work in progress but like I said he doesn’t have to be Ray Allen to be great at the point , just good enough to keep them honest. ,
Magic also had shooting weaknesses
It didn’t hurt him either.

Reaction Score
Can he develop a shot? That's basically what it will come down, too. The knock on Kidd early was his shot and though it was not a +, it was still better than Jackson's at the same point. The handle, defense... etc will all improve, but that shot has to become at least average.

It's not all on Hurley. Actually, most of it will be on Jackson himself. He needs to go out and shoot. Then he needs to shoot some more. And when he's tired of shooting. Then he needs to go shoot even more. Guys can be coached up and put on the correct path, but many of the players who take the 'next step' do it with their own legs.

Reaction Score
I think his second year will be a better example of his true potential.

IMO .. He was never 100% physically last season nor was he given the green light to create his own offense playing in Bouk's shadow and/or in the flow of the game.

Predict you'll really enjoy Yr2 Jackson.

Reaction Score
Agree.. in order to develop he needs to improve dramatically his outside shooting. Right now he is no threat from the outside.

Reaction Score
Andre needs one go to shot. My vote would be accuracy from the wing on 3's then if he could hit a midrange floater like J Lamb with any regularity you have something that opens up the floor for other players that makes his passing more dangerous.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Obviously the J is super important but I think we shouldn’t overlook the importance of an overall offensive skill set development. Eg if he can figure out a medium range to block skill set that would be huge. Ie floaters , inside footwork. If he has ways to get buckets of the bounce with how effective he his dishing off the bounce I think he may be able to be a beast even with a subpar outside shot

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Yea AJ is the biggest X factor on the team, his ceiling is absurd. Points of emphasis in his development as I see it is obviously developing a serviceable shot to keep teams honest, learn to play man defense without fouling, learn to pick and choose when to make high risk high reward plays, working on his handle namely dribbling lower to the ground and using his left. I think he has it in him to develop a better shot he was a very good free throw shooter. He really could have used better coaching in high school we have some making up to do imo

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If AJ could return as a 40% plus 3 point shooter I am ecstatic
However, reality says what this team needs is a flat out shooter.
AJ will improve by the fall in a few important areas = he has too much talent and such a high ceiling

Reaction Score
If AJ could return as a 40% plus 3 point shooter I am ecstatic
However, reality says what this team needs is a flat out shooter.
AJ will improve by the fall in a few important areas = he has too much talent and such a high ceiling

40+%?? If Andre can shoot even close to 35% that will be a massive improvement. Guy couldn’t even hit the rim from beyond the arc this season.

Reaction Score
40+%?? If Andre can shoot even close to 35% that will be a massive improvement. Guy couldn’t even hit the rim from beyond the arc this season.
Not only was he a terrible outside shooter but every time he drove to the basket he got his shot blocked. this year is huge year for Andre.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Brown was clearly a forward at Cal. He only shot 30% from 3 so yeah, he improved a ton in that area and handling the ball. But he was already 6’7 225 and strong as hell. He was conference freshman of the year and a top 5 recruit. I think Ainge picked him party for his brain, dude is smart.

Andre is quite a bit more raw than Brown. I think he has amazing potential if he can learn to shoot and get a little stronger. I am less worried about him as a 3 point threat than seeing if he can put the ball on the floor an attack the rim. We have seen very little of Andre doing this.

I definitely agree. If he can attack the rim it'll open up his game a ton. I'm hoping he gets that down this summer more than his jumper.

Reaction Score
Can he develop a shot? That's basically what it will come down, too. The knock on Kidd early was his shot and though it was not a +, it was still better than Jackson's at the same point. The handle, defense... etc will all improve, but that shot has to become at least average.

It's not all on Hurley. Actually, most of it will be on Jackson himself. He needs to go out and shoot. Then he needs to shoot some more. And when he's tired of shooting. Then he needs to go shoot even more. Guys can be coached up and put on the correct path, but many of the players who take the 'next step' do it with their own legs.
So true - he needs to work hard on his shot. Also agree with @Scrappy3 about taking the ball to the hole but for that to be efficient is foul shooting too.
I think he already has passing ability but it could be refined - to make the simple pass over the fancy one and of course know the abilities of the guy you are passing to.

Reaction Score
Pure and simple man, Jackson just needs to attack the rim, even if he pulls up short with jump stops or floaters. Hurley needs to have him set up in different spots, and either facilitate or attack. Andre will be even stronger this year; this plus his size, length, athleticism, and leaping ability will make him a force at some point. He just needs confidence playing at this level, games under his belt, he needs to be in the lane catching rebounds, mixing it up. He's a big physical slashing wing, he needs to play like one. Hurley loves toughness, so Andre will be getting a ton of minutes.

Uptempo the offense, get Andre and his teammates out on the break attacking, open up the floor.

Throw in his passing and his court vision/IQ and really, he is a potential star. Big jump coming for Jackson!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kidd was not as Big or Athletic but
Certainly was a great PG. His shooting was always a work in progress but like I said he doesn’t have to be Ray Allen to be great at the point , just good enough to keep them honest. ,
Magic also had shooting weaknesses
It didn’t hurt him either.
Kidd was not as big but in his day he was considered a big point guard. He also had a terrible three point percentage as a frosh. We tend to forget that Dre was hurt in the preseason before being injured in-season. He missed a lot of prep time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom