Big time ESPN exec at AAC golf outing in Rhode Island | The Boneyard

Big time ESPN exec at AAC golf outing in Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gotta be some kind of syndrome here, like Stockholm or the spouse who takes back the abusive partner over and over again. Check out No.3 on the second place team

795184500.jpg

Reaction Score
Cincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville and four Bearcats players will attend the inaugural American Athletic Conference Football Summer Kickoff and Media Day next week in Newport, R.I. There will be a golf outing at Newport National. . . .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gotta be some kind of syndrome here, like Stockholm or the spouse who takes back the abusive partner over and over again. Check out No.3 on the second place team

View attachment 3311

You do realize who the league's television partner is right?

Reaction Score

Right. And they've been so helpful to UConn. Maybe next time you can caddie for him and DeFilippo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right. And they've been so helpful to UConn. Maybe next time you can caddie for him and DeFilippo.

That's a bit different than being indignant over ESPN playing in the golf tournament for a conference to which they own the rights.

Is your argument the AAC shouldn't allow ESPN employees to play in their media day golf tourney?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm way more offended that the prizes are shi**y Nike clubs. Those things are trash.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm way more offended that the prizes are shi**y Nike clubs. Those things are trash.

I'm offended that a winning net score for a four man tournament was 62.

Good Lord. I expect to see mid-50's for four man net tourney's.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

Nope, not a clue.

But I do know who the ACC's TV partner is, and man do I wish UConn's league had a partner like that...

Reaction Score
That's a bit different than being indignant over ESPN playing in the golf tournament for a conference to which they own the rights.

Is your argument the AAC shouldn't allow ESPN employees to play in their media day golf tourney?

Nah, it was just a reminder of this argument. Wonder if NW had any guilt when he crossed paths with Manuel. Probably not.

Reaction Score
Sadly, the cost of this boondoggle will make the conference net neutral for the year.
Hopefully Espn kicked in a little...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

No we should all be grateful for the Hunger Games...may the odds be ever in our favor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one has b*tched about Tim Welsh being there?
It's insufferable listening to him on the bball games.

Him moving to the Catholic 7 Conference should have been part of the split negotiations.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, though, I think it is well past time for Aresco to earn his money and sit down with the ESPN executives and tell them to knock off the crap about the AAC. Not a lot he can do, I realize, since we're under contract to those bozos, but he needs to make it clear that a continuation of the bashing won't be tolerated. And then actually take some action when it happens...file a grievance under the contract maybe, or publicly bash ESPN on a regular basis. There are ways to fight back...he needs to hire Bill Clinton to help him out. Just ask the guy who was Speaker of the House for a day...

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, though, I think it is well past time for Aresco to earn his money and sit down with the ESPN executives and tell them to knock off the crap about the AAC. Not a lot he can do, I realize, since we're under contract to those bozos, but he needs to make it clear that a continuation of the bashing won't be tolerated. And then actually take some action when it happens...file a grievance under the contract maybe, or publicly bash ESPN on a regular basis. There are ways to fight back...he needs to hire Bill Clinton to help him out. Just ask the guy who was Speaker of the House for a day...

Aresco has zero (with a "Z") clout. The AAC is his legacy. He should beg his way back into a television job because he is not suitable as a Conference commissioner. I am sure that his media friends are polite to him, but he can't move them to do anything for our dreadful little conference.

Reaction Score
Aresco has zero (with a "Z") clout. The AAC is his legacy. He should beg his way back into a television job because he is not suitable as a Conference commissioner. I am sure that his media friends are polite to him, but he can't move them to do anything for our dreadful little conference.
I fear you are correct, but I this is the point where we find out for sure. between Aresco and Manuel, UConn is in an unbelievably precarious position...

Reaction Score
I fear you are correct, but I this is the point where we find out for sure. between Aresco and Manuel, UConn is in an unbelievably precarious position...

I read a previous post that said UConn can't last more than two years in this horrid conference without some significant damage. That is the case I'm afraid. We can't expect anything from Aresco because he has to prop up the AAC's miserable array of low level D-1 programs that he has assembled at the expense of UConn. Manuel - well I've spoken before on this and it is a lightning rod topic. But, I personally don't see him as the change agent we need. One thing is for sure - he has not shown the sense of urgency or proactivity that you would expect from a so called "Rock Star".

Reaction Score
Maybe Aresco is being paid by ESPN to keep AAC costs low.

Reaction Score
I read a previous post that said UConn can't last more than two years in this horrid conference without some significant damage. That is the case I'm afraid. We can't expect anything from Aresco because he has to prop up the AAC's miserable array of low level D-1 programs that he has assembled at the expense of UConn. Manuel - well I've spoken before on this and it is a lightning rod topic. But, I personally don't see him as the change agent we need. One thing is for sure - he has not shown the sense of urgency or proactivity that you would expect from a so called "Rock Star".
Agree with everything you've said. I've said for some time that I think Aresco is the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. He would have been a good commissioner at the point the Big East hired Maranatto, coming into a tv contract and such. He's got the wrong skill set for what we need. He is like hiring someone from IBM to run Apple. We need Steve Jobs. Manuel, as I've posted many times before, is awful. He was hired for one purpose and one purpose only. To correct the APR problem on the basketball program. Otherwise he is clueless.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you've said. I've said for some time that I think Aresco is the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. He would have been a good commissioner at the point the Big East hired Maranatto, coming into a tv contract and such. He's got the wrong skill set for what we need. He is like hiring someone from IBM to run Apple. We need Steve Jobs. Manuel, as I've posted many times before, is awful. He was hired for one purpose and one purpose only. To correct the APR problem on the basketball program. Otherwise he is clueless.

I am afraid he is clueless. SH will not go there, however, because he is her "Rock Star". Further, the rest of the UConn leadership, including the BOT, seem brain dead on the CR issue. Note that there has been ZERO scuttlebutt on the BOT being engaged on this issue at all.

Reaction Score
I think these posts are clueless. You have no idea of what WM is doing as AD, but you piss and moan anyway.

UConnric,

What has he done? Please enumerate. Make your argument that he has been creative, proactive and acts with sense of urgency. Fair?

Reaction Score
UConnric,

What has he done? Please enumerate. Make your argument that he has been creative, proactive and acts with sense of urgency. Fair?
Hired Kevin Ollie. Hired a great, great prospect for a hockey coach. Extended Auriemma's contract. Helped accelerate fundraising for the basketball practice facility.

The man went to Michigan. Don't think he has pride in what he does?

Is there any way I can get into this clambake next year??

Reaction Score
Hired Kevin Ollie. Hired a great, great prospect for a hockey coach. Extended Auriemma's contract. Helped accelerate fundraising for the basketball practice facility.

The man went to Michigan. Don't think he has pride in what he does?

Is there any way I can get into this clambake next year??
Butch,
Ollie was forced on him over his objections. Cavanaugh has proven exactly nothing so far. He managed to tick off Aurriema before finally signing him. As far as having pride is concerned, his problem isn't having pride in what he does. It is having a clue. His list of failures is at least as long as his successes. At least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom