Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion)

Reaction Score
The fact this thread "devolved" into a thread about wanting to avoid online career resources speaks volumes. Our placement system IS ducked up. I still remember the old ducker with a comb-over in the School of Business Admin my senior year (mid 90s) who told me it's fine to slack off in two classes that have no relevance to my major in what I thought was going to be my last semester. Got two Fs. Had to commute back to finish my degree. Graduated by the skin of my teeth. Thank you, UConn job placement!

On the bright side, his cockiness in assuring me I shouldn't care was a vision of the future.

Reaction Score
The obvious... an on campus stadium.. duh....

Not happening in our lifetime. They aren't going to flush 100 Million investment. Of course, the right place was the campus from day 1.

Reaction Score
PLEASE READ: On UConn career placement. Do you know that they actually charge businesses to post openings and also to do job fairs? We were looking for engineers several years ago and contacted UConn figuring lets support the home team grads and get a piping going. After slow responses and the need to pay money, we said screw it we'll go to school that wants us. Talk about creating impediments. They are discouraging small business from showing up and recruiting.

It's is a terrible office, ineffective, and is doing a disservice to its students. They should be begging folks to post jobs and show up at job fairs. But, this is the mentality there. They are doing businesses a favor. Sad end to story, we have a great relationship with WPI in pull bright kids out of there.

Reaction Score
The fact this thread "devolved" into a thread about wanting to avoid online career resources speaks volumes. Our placement system IS ed up. I still remember the old er with a comb-over in the School of Business Admin my senior year (mid 90s) who told me it's fine to slack off in two classes that have no relevance to my major in what I thought was going to be my last semester. Got two Fs. Had to commute back to finish my degree. Graduated by the skin of my teeth. Thank you, UConn job placement!

On the bright side, his cockiness in assuring me I shouldn't care was a vision of the future.

They didn't do much better for me in the late 2009-2011. I was basically told that there are jobs out there I just have to look. I only had one professor tell me that I'll need interships to help get a job when I graduate. Unfortunately, for me I had to work full time on top of going to school full time to pay rent and be able to live relatively close to campus seeing as most transfers that aren't fresh. or soph. (I had enough credits to be a senion when I transferred back to UConn) don't get housing. Then during the summer and winter breaks I'd pick up a seasonal part time job to help me catch up on my bills. So I literally had no time to do any sort of intership. Not to say that I didn't love my program, because I loved every second of it, I just feel like the school doesn't even try to prepare you for the storm you're going to be thrown into when you graduate and don't have any sort of intership or experience in the field. Like I said before, that is something that as an alumnus I would be willing to donate money to and pay for to use.

Reaction Score
PLEASE READ: On UConn career placement. Do you know that they actually charge businesses to post openings and also to do job fairs? We were looking for engineers several years ago and contacted UConn figuring lets support the home team grads and get a piping going. After slow responses and the need to pay money, we said screw it we'll go to school that wants us. Talk about creating impediments. They are discouraging small business from showing up and recruiting.

It's is a terrible office, ineffective, and is doing a disservice to its students. They should be begging folks to post jobs and show up at job fairs. But, this is the mentality there. They are doing businesses a favor. Sad end to story, we have a great relationship with WPI in pull bright kids out of there.

If you company is ever in need of engineers again let me know. I'll gladly send my resume. :)

I found the career fairs at UConn (especially for engineering) slightly annoying. You show up dressed to impress, with freshly printed resumes to hand out to all the companies that are in the field you want to be in, only to find out that majority of the respresentatives do not accept resumes and tell you to apply online. That was the single most frustrating thing about the several career fairs I went to. I honestly want to just ask "why are you here at all if you're not accepting resumes? All you had to do is set up a nice poster and let a dvd loop on a TV."

Reaction Score
I love the direction this University is taking. Making major investments in STEM research and continuing to grow not only the campus but the value of a UConn degree. This Next Generation CT plan is something I've been saying should happen since I visited UConn: http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-next-generation-update-20140805,0,2422596.story

As THE state school for both the cities of New York and Boston, there is no reason why we can't partner with enough companies to create a great project for UConn like this research park. Georgia Tech has a partnership with Ford, and I'm glad to see us reaching out to CT based companies to fill spaces in this park. http://techpark.uconn.edu/master-plan/

The next step is to partner with ESPN to get an on campus renovation of both our radio and television broadcasting site. The "ESPN Studio for Broadcast Development" at UConn could lead directly to UConn graduates being employeed at the "arch enemy" and would continue to modernize the area around Storrs.

There is an obvious need for more housing, both on campus and off. The apartments in Storrs Center are a great start to what should be another 2 or 3 sets of apartments close enough to the campus for students to walk/take a bus.

The growth that this area has seen in the last 5 years alone is remarkable. I can't wait to see where we are in 20 years. Even if we're still in the AAC for athletics the commitment to academics should yield huge dividends for the University and the state of Connecticut for years to come. The biggest thing left to do is to somehow get highway access or at least a two/three lane road to create a back entrance to campus. I've said that the University should try to make a "UConn Expressway" (hell even toll it if you want to) that comes off 84 after exit 68 and comes into campus behind Horsebarn Hill and in between East dorms and the Ag buildings.

If you could add anything to campus what would it be? What would you like to see added to continue the growth of our state and state U?

A wonderful and ambitious plan for the University of Connecticut. This targets the area where U.C should grow the most, in STEM fields and research to compete with its peers. You really have to applaud the commitment by the state of Connecticut in providing $1 Billion in funds despite the sluggish economy. This is a massive amount of funding and I have no doubt it should place U.C in top standing among research Universities

With that said, can you please leave New York alone in all of this!!! My alma mater, Stony Brook, doesn't need any more competition to get the bright kids. :)

Reaction Score
Sounds like I need to spent a lot more time on LinkedIn then. That seems like the quickest way to get into contact with people at companies I would like to work at. Honestly, I never really thought of doing something like that. I was more of going the way of staffing agencies and hoping they can place me in a position close to what my degree is. Obviously, that hasn't worked out too well for me because I'm still stuck at my dead end jobs (yes plural).

You should find UCONN grads at those companies. I have a standing policy to take meetings to help any UCONN grad in NYC, no matter what field. I've helped several get jobs through my network, and closed some other business as well.

Reaction Score
The reason I ran for the Alumni BoD was partially because the school needs to do a much better job of engaging its alums and building a network. I didn't know how bad it was until I went to Columbia for my MBA and saw how the big boys build a network.

Of course, the process was so political and the Alumni Association is so poisoned by old grudges that I doubt they will ever make any progress without blowing the whole thing up that I won't run again.

But I'm going to continue to work with the Business school and anyone else in Storrs that wants to try and improve things. You can build 20B worth of buildings and if you don't engage the alumni it won't matter.

Reaction Score
If you company is ever in need of engineers again let me know. I'll gladly send my resume. :)

I found the career fairs at UConn (especially for engineering) slightly annoying. You show up dressed to impress, with freshly printed resumes to hand out to all the companies that are in the field you want to be in, only to find out that majority of the respresentatives do not accept resumes and tell you to apply online. That was the single most frustrating thing about the several career fairs I went to. I honestly want to just ask "why are you here at all if you're not accepting resumes? All you had to do is set up a nice poster and let a dvd loop on a TV."

That's exactly what you get when you don't engage with smaller businesses. These guys are absolute idiots. There should be a wide open free jobs and internship site. Instead they screw around with same old insurance companies and other usual suspects.

If we have more openings I'll post here . Maybe the boneyard can set up an openings area for Uconn students, and do the school 's job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reason I ran for the Alumni BoD was partially because the school needs to do a much better job of engaging its alums and building a network. I didn't know how bad it was until I went to Columbia for my MBA and saw how the big boys build a network.

Of course, the process was so political and the Alumni Association is so poisoned by old grudges that I doubt they will ever make any progress without blowing the whole thing up that I won't run again.

But I'm going to continue to work with the Business school and anyone else in Storrs that wants to try and improve things. You can build 20B worth of buildings and if you don't engage the alumni it won't matter.
If you are looking to get a group together to try to make some major changes, then let me know because I would love to be a part of that group.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what you get when you don't engage with smaller businesses. These guys are absolute idiots. There should be a wide open free jobs and internship site. Instead they screw around with same old insurance companies and other usual suspects.

If we have more openings I'll post here . Maybe the boneyard can set up an openings area for Uconn students, and do the school 's job.

I'm almost to the point of convincing myself that starting my own business may be a better career move at this point. At least I can work on my terms and not some jerk boss who thinks he's better than me because I'm just some "wet under the collar" young'in.

I'm honestly to the point where I'm sick and tired of being forced to go to a company's website to apply becayse no one wants to see you in person anymore. When I was 16 I remember I had my mom (before I got my license) drop me off at the employee entrance to Lake Compounce where I proceeded to walk in, apply and get hired all in the same say. The more I try to change jobs, the more I realize how much social media is ruining human interaction.

And so true about working with the usual suspects. Job fairs for engineers at UConn consist of mainly 4 companies for my discipline every year: UTC, Sun Products, Unilever and Electric Boat. Obviously you want to keep talent here in state, but I know for a fact there is more companies in CT. Why are these companies not there recruiting? I fully believe it's because UConn is not reaching out to these companies.

Reaction Score
We should definitely discuss this over cocktails at one of the games.

That sounds like a great idea. We may want to start a new thread specifically about this to help us get a group together.

If you have any specific thoughts about changes that you want to make, then posting them in a new thread should help to get the ball rolling. Others from the board can add to that and those ideas can be a starting point to create actionable items that everyone can work towards.

Getting both Alumni and current students involved would be a great way to maximize influence and pressure on the administration. I think having a strong voice from both sides will be crucial to making significant changes.

Reaction Score
That sounds like a great idea. We may want to start a new thread specifically about this to help us get a group together.

If you have any specific thoughts about changes that you want to make, then posting them in a new thread should help to get the ball rolling. Others from the board can add to that and those ideas can be a starting point to create actionable items that everyone can work towards.

Getting both Alumni and current students involved would be a great way to maximize influence and pressure on the administration. I think having a strong voice from both sides will be crucial to making significant changes.

Count me in as an Alumni. You already know what I want to see changed.

Reaction Score
I can absolutely be (and want to be) part of a group. I just can't really lead one since I'm buried doing 1.25 jobs. If someone can run point I'm happy to be involved.

Reaction Score
Here is what I do know. Dean Elliot from the business school came down to meet with me at my office a couple of months ago. He understands my point of view and wants to be helpful. If we get the right group together and the right agenda he can make sure we get the right audience.

Reaction Score
I created a new thread titled "UConn Alumni network brainstorm" so we can continue the discussion and hopefully engage others who aren't following this thread.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
So crazy that the campus is already going to look completely different than it did when I graduated 3 years ago. Now I know what my brother (class of '07) felt like going to campus when I was a senior.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Interesting reading these comments again after the vote to disband the Alumni Association. Merged this thread with the thread regarding UConn's continued building of STEM dorms, set to open soon.

Reaction Score
Job placements would be fantastic. The career center was next to useless when I was there. They basically told me "Don't use the big job boards and make sure your resume is update" and sent me on my way. I would like maybe career counseling on top of placements too. I am currently looking for a new job and failing miserably at it because I don't really know where to look or how to increase my chances at finding a job/posting in my field. This is something I would be willing to donate my alumni dollars towards.
Worst job placement program I've ever seen, bar none. Instead of catering to the kids, they tried to turn it into a money maker and alienated droves of employers. You literally had to jump through hoops just to let kids to know there are jobs for them. Emails unreturned. Phone calls never returned. All they wanted were checks for access while others were serving their students. We literally gave up on UConn and pull from WPI, RPI, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, MIT and other Boston area schools. By the way Yale is horrendous too. Its so symptomatic of the administration. Complete buffoons always behind the curve, just like in CR, having no tech corridor, etc.. I'm glad to see some "forward" vision, but its about 15 years behind most leading schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2.9STEMDormbyNewmanArchitecture.jpg

The gap between Ellsworth and Hale was always a wind tunnel. I can't imagine what this build is going to do to that.

Reaction Score
Worst job placement program I've ever seen, bar none. Instead of catering to the kids, they tried to turn it into a money maker and alienated droves of employers. You literally had to jump through hoops just to let kids to know there are jobs for them. Emails unreturned. Phone calls never returned. All they wanted were checks for access while others were serving their students. We literally gave up on UConn and pull from WPI, RPI, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, MIT and other Boston area schools. By the way Yale is horrendous too. Its so symptomatic of the administration. Complete buffoons always behind the curve, just like in CR, having no tech corridor, etc.. I'm glad to see some "forward" vision, but its about 15 years behind most leading schools.

I used to go to the job fairs two or three times a year at UConn and was extremely disappointed in how they were handled from both the school and companies. It seems the schools set up the companies in no sort of organized fashion so I had to walk around aimlessly, trying to figure out which company hired chemical engineers. Then when I finally started to talk to a company that I was interested and tried to hand them my resume, every single person told me "we don't accept resumes, please submit it on out website." Why were you even there if you're not accepting resumes? A DVD on loop could have done what you did. Fortunately, I posted my resume on CareerBuilder and I was found by a recruiter at my current job which I absolutely love. So I guess I got lucky.

Reaction Score
2.9STEMDormbyNewmanArchitecture.jpg

The gap between Ellsworth and Hale was always a wind tunnel. I can't imagine what this build is going to do to that.

I used enjoy the view from my single in Ellsworth of the sun coming-up in the morning over campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom